$900 for Mazda Protege exhaust?

Old April 21st 06, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default $900 for Mazda Protege exhaust?

I priced a direct fit exhaust system for my 2000 Mazda
Protege.

Direct fit means it is what the factory
uses....designed to fit ONLY my car

Cost is $900 thru Mazda dealer

Is that out of line?

Any 3rd party mechanics out there that can do a direct
fit cheaper?

I live abt 2 hrs north of St Louis so its not a bad
drive to go there if needed
Old April 22nd 06, 01:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I had a '97 protege, and I had to replace a couple of different pieces of
the exhaust which cost around $400. The mechanic I went to got on the phone
to call for parts, and when he was quoted the price said "it can't be." It
has to do with the pieces only fitting the Protege.

Old April 24th 06, 08:05 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

The local shops around here will custom build exhaust systems for a lot less
than that!

It's likely that a muffler/resonator replacement by such a shop is really
all that you need.

On the other hand, salt on the roads may cause the whole exhaust system to
need replacement.

Old April 24th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

wrote in :

> I priced a direct fit exhaust system for my 2000 Mazda
> Protege.
>
> Direct fit means it is what the factory
> uses....designed to fit ONLY my car
>
> Cost is $900 thru Mazda dealer
>
> Is that out of line?
>
> Any 3rd party mechanics out there that can do a direct
> fit cheaper?
>
> I live abt 2 hrs north of St Louis so its not a bad
> drive to go there if needed

If you're looking for a cheap solution, there's a junk yard in Litchfield
(probably about 1/2 the way to St Louis for you) that replaced the
muffler on our Astro minivan a some years back for about $60 iirc.
Unfortunately, if you want to find it, the best directions I could give
you would be the directions we were given: "go to any gas station in
Litchfield and ask where the junk/auto salvage yard is that does
mufflers".. it worked for us, of course that was about 10 years ago.
Either way tho, it seems rather rediculous that they'd want to replace
the entire exhaust system when, like others have said, it's probably just
a single component w/ a problem.

For comparison/perspective, I recently had a catalytic converter replaced
under warranty for my Subaru. The cost for just the cat, was listed at
over $1000. And of course, with typical dealer proficiency, they half-
assed the job and I had to pay my regular mechanic to fix their screw-up.
Morale of the story, find a good independant mechanic, he'll probably be
cheaper, and you'll increase your chances that the job will be done
right.. the first time.

-Scott
Old April 24th 06, 02:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Chuck" > wrote:

>The local shops around here will custom build exhaust systems for a lot less
>than that!

OK

I will check them out then

Thanks for the help!