Mercon ATF same as Dexron III?

Old April 22nd 06, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Mercon ATF same as Dexron III?

I was looking to change the fluid in my transfer case soon on my 99 XLT
SOHC. The owners manual says use Mercon ATF. The local auto store here
only sells Citgo Transguard ATF Dexron III/ Mercon. I am assuming they
are the same?

Old April 22nd 06, 03:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Does it need Mercon or Mercon V? Mercon V is different. Mercon IV or
earlier is the same as Dexron. Found this out with my auto trannny.

......Larry

In article .com>,
says...

Old April 22nd 06, 03:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

My tranny takes Mercon V, but for the transfer case the owners manual
says regular Mercon.

Old April 22nd 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Just an FYI

Mercon V was designed to improve friction material stability, prevent
torque converter clutch chatter and lower overall operating
temperature, including shift temperature.

Ford transmissions that require Mercon V (much like Chrysler and Honda
transmissions that require HFM fluid) are part of an integral
transmission/transmission fluid calibration package.

The transmission has special friction materials that require Mercon V,
while the transfer case apparently does not and only needs Mercon.