!990 Dodge Caravan Flooding problem

Old May 17th 05, 10:31 AM

Default !990 Dodge Caravan Flooding problem

Hi,
I have a 1990 Dodge Caravan 2.5 L engine and the darn thing is
flooding BAD I mean black smoke out the tail pipe, And as can be
gussed the gas milliage is terrible the O2 Sensor and the Mass air
flow sensor have been replaced along with the air filter, spark plugs
and ign wires.
Any idea`s folk`s?
Thank`s
Cameraman

Old May 17th 05, 01:55 PM
cavedweller

oups.com...

Well, for starters: http://www.apostrophe.fsnet.co.uk/

Old May 17th 05, 02:11 PM
Comboverfish

Since you have already replaced the non-existent Mass Airflow Sensor,
how about checking out the MAP sensor. Is it getting vacuum? Is it
dead or reading near 5 volts all of the time?

Toyota MDT in MO

Old May 17th 05, 04:44 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 17 May 2005 wrote:

> I have a 1990 Dodge Caravan 2.5 L engine and the darn thing is flooding
> BAD I mean black smoke out the tail pipe, And as can be gussed the gas
> milliage is terrible the O2 Sensor and the Mass air flow sensor have
> been replaced along with the air filter, spark plugs and ign wires.
> Any idea`s folk`s?

Well, for openers, it's best to confine your parts replacement efforts to
parts the van actually has. There is no Mass Airflow sensor on your van.

Problems like yours have many potential causes. Stuck-open fuel injector,
faulty fuel pressure regulator, faulty MAP sensor (or circuit, or vacuum
lines), etc. To fix the problem without costing a fortune, proper
diagnosis is needed, not just random parts-changing.

You can get a START on proper diagnosis with just your ignition key: Check
for fault flash codes.

To check the computer codes:

With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on,
leaving it "ON". Do not
go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.

Watch the "Check Engine" or "Power Loss" light. It will turn on, then go
off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been stored.
For instance, if it flashes:

flash <pause> flash flash
<long pause>
flash flash flash <pause> flash flash flash flash flash
<long pause>
flash flash flash flash flash <pause> flash flash flash flash flash

Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five) and a
55 (five and five). 55 means "end of codes" or, if by itself, "No codes
stored. Check the codes and report what you find.

Old May 17th 05, 07:31 PM
Comboverfish

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> You can get a START on proper diagnosis with just your ignition key:

Check
> for fault flash codes.
>
> To check the computer codes:
>
> With the engine off, switch the ignition key on-off-on-off-on,
> leaving it "ON". Do not
> go to "start", just "on" during this procedure.
>
> Watch the "Check Engine" or "Power Loss" light. It will turn on,

then go
> off, then will begin to flash-out any trouble codes that have been

stored.
> For instance, if it flashes:
>
> flash <pause> flash flash
> <long pause>
> flash flash flash <pause> flash flash flash flash flash
> <long pause>
> flash flash flash flash flash <pause> flash flash flash flash flash
>
> Then you have a 12 (one flash followed by two) a 35 (three and five)

and a
> 55 (five and five). 55 means "end of codes" or, if by itself, "No

codes
> stored. Check the codes and report what you find.

Dan, I certainly hope you copy and paste this instruction list as often
as you post it!

Toyota MDT in MO

Old May 17th 05, 07:44 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 17 May 2005, Comboverfish wrote:

> > To check the computer codes:

<snip>
> Dan, I certainly hope you copy and paste this instruction list as often
> as you post it!

Yep, it's canned text. Three keystrokes pastes it.