AOD woes

Old July 1st 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Howard Nelson

Default AOD woes

1989 5.0 with AOD. Did the 3.73 gears and helped some but still find low
throttle 1-2 shift at 13-1400 rpm and 2-3 low throttle shift point 14-1500
rpm. That is really a drag around town. I would like those shift points to
be approximately at 2200 rpm. You can do that manually for 1-2 but no choice
for 2-3.
The valve recalibration kits I have researched say they change the full
throttle shift points. Since I am not on the strip that doesn't seem to be a
solution.

Are there any mods to the AOD which will raise the non full throttle shift
points to a more reasonable level?

Thanks in Advance
Howard
1989 5.0 LX vert

Old July 1st 06, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

"Howard Nelson" > wrote in
. com:

> 1989 5.0 with AOD. Did the 3.73 gears and helped some but still find
> low throttle 1-2 shift at 13-1400 rpm and 2-3 low throttle shift point
> 14-1500 rpm. That is really a drag around town. I would like those
> shift points to be approximately at 2200 rpm. You can do that manually
> for 1-2 but no choice for 2-3.
> The valve recalibration kits I have researched say they change the
> full throttle shift points. Since I am not on the strip that doesn't
> seem to be a solution.
>
> Are there any mods to the AOD which will raise the non full throttle
> shift points to a more reasonable level?
>
> Thanks in Advance
> Howard
> 1989 5.0 LX vert

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/04/shiftkit/

Joe
Calypso Green '93 5.0 LX AOD hatch with a few goodies
Black '03 Dakota 5.9 R/T CC
Old July 20th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Howard Nelson wrote:
> 1989 5.0 with AOD. Did the 3.73 gears and helped some but still find low
> throttle 1-2 shift at 13-1400 rpm and 2-3 low throttle shift point 14-1500
> rpm. That is really a drag around town. I would like those shift points to
> be approximately at 2200 rpm. You can do that manually for 1-2 but no choice
> for 2-3.
> The valve recalibration kits I have researched say they change the full
> throttle shift points. Since I am not on the strip that doesn't seem to be a
> solution.
>
> Are there any mods to the AOD which will raise the non full throttle shift
> points to a more reasonable level?
>
> Thanks in Advance
> Howard
> 1989 5.0 LX vert

Actually you can hold second as long as you want. When you shift into
second, (above 20mph) move the selector back into the "1" position. It
will not shift into 1st, it will stay in 2nd until you shift into "D"
But don't slow down too much, it will downshift to 1st below about
20mph.

Early soft shifts could be an indication of a misadjusted TV cable.
I understand exactly what you want. When I make a turn from a stop onto
the hwy the tranny shifts into second before I complete the turn and
prepare to accelerate. I also like to cruise around with a light foot.
I tightened up my linkage a bit and it helped.
This tranny was made for old people to drive to church. But with a
shift kit it likes to be driven more with a heavy foot.

Old July 20th 06, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
[email protected]

Old July 21st 06, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Joe[_1_]

" > wrote in
ps.com:

> Howard Nelson wrote:
>> 1989 5.0 with AOD. Did the 3.73 gears and helped some but still find
>> low throttle 1-2 shift at 13-1400 rpm and 2-3 low throttle shift
>> point 14-1500 rpm. That is really a drag around town. I would like
>> those shift points to be approximately at 2200 rpm. You can do that
>> manually for 1-2 but no choice for 2-3.
>> The valve recalibration kits I have researched say they change the
>> full throttle shift points. Since I am not on the strip that doesn't
>> seem to be a solution.
>>
>> Are there any mods to the AOD which will raise the non full throttle
>> shift points to a more reasonable level?
>>
>> Thanks in Advance
>> Howard
>> 1989 5.0 LX vert

> Actually you can hold second as long as you want. When you shift into
> second, (above 20mph) move the selector back into the "1" position. It
> will not shift into 1st, it will stay in 2nd until you shift into "D"
> But don't slow down too much, it will downshift to 1st below about
> 20mph.

Good trick at the track, but don't do it too much. Great way to kill
the tranny.

Winch Woes Carl Jeep 6 October 9th 05 01:16 AM
Xenon woes Charles C. Shyu BMW 12 September 27th 05 06:20 AM
Gen light woes Stevie G VW air cooled 2 September 26th 05 10:11 PM
Corrosion Woes Mucker Alfa Romeo 4 September 25th 05 02:39 PM
Radio woes.. redux.. Mark Currie VW water cooled 5 September 22nd 05 09:43 PM