chains or Spikes Spiders on GMC Yukon 4x4?

Old September 30th 04, 02:04 AM
Eric Smith

Default chains or Spikes Spiders on GMC Yukon 4x4?

I recently purchased a 2004 GMC Yukon 4x4 (AWD). I'd like to drive it
from San Jose to Denver CO and/or Eugene OR during the winter, so
there's some possibility that I might encounter conditions requiring
chains. It looks like in theory I'm exempt from the Oregon and Colorado
chain laws since it's an AWD under 6500 lb and has M+S tires. I'm not
so sure about Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Utah, so I think I
should probably get chains or other suitable traction devices.

The owner's manual for the Yukon says that if the vehicle has P265/75R16,
LT265/75R16, P265/70R16, or P265/70R16 tires that you shouldn't use
chains because there is not enough clearance. Naturally I've got
P265/70R16. They're listed as a no-cost option on the factory sticker,
but it doesn't say what the standard equipment would have been.

Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has successfully used cables, Spikes
Spiders, or any other traction device on their Yukon. For the Spikes
Spiders, it looks like I'd need the Sport series SPXXXXL, which appear
to cost $370-375 a pair. I don't mind spending that if they're going to
work OK.

Thanks,
Eric

[If you want to reply by private email, please remove the obvious
spam-proofing from my email address.]
Old September 30th 04, 06:15 AM
Roger Brown

Eric Smith wrote:

> I recently purchased a 2004 GMC Yukon 4x4 (AWD). I'd like to drive it
> from San Jose to Denver CO and/or Eugene OR during the winter, so
> there's some possibility that I might encounter conditions requiring
> chains. It looks like in theory I'm exempt from the Oregon and Colorado
> chain laws since it's an AWD under 6500 lb and has M+S tires. I'm not
> so sure about Arizona, California, New Mexico, and Utah, so I think I
> should probably get chains or other suitable traction devices.
>
> The owner's manual for the Yukon says that if the vehicle has P265/75R16,
> LT265/75R16, P265/70R16, or P265/70R16 tires that you shouldn't use
> chains because there is not enough clearance. Naturally I've got
> P265/70R16. They're listed as a no-cost option on the factory sticker,
> but it doesn't say what the standard equipment would have been.
>
> Anyhow, I was wondering if anyone has successfully used cables, Spikes
> Spiders, or any other traction device on their Yukon. For the Spikes
> Spiders, it looks like I'd need the Sport series SPXXXXL, which appear
> to cost $370-375 a pair. I don't mind spending that if they're going to
> work OK.

I've had good luck with the SCC Z-Chains on my 4Runner, very easy to
install and they work well. Not sure on the fitment for your vehicle,
but its worth a check.

For CA chain reqts. see:
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/chcontrl.htm
In 25 years of driving in the Sierra in the winter, I think I've only
seen R3 conditions one time, its usually R2 then closed on the major
highways. In R2 conditions, you ae required to carry some sort of
traction aiding device, although I've never been asked to show mine,
good idea to have something.

--
Roger
Old October 1st 04, 12:26 AM
Eric Smith

Roger Brown > writes:
> I've had good luck with the SCC Z-Chains on my 4Runner, very easy to
> install and they work well. Not sure on the fitment for your vehicle,
> but its worth a check.

Thanks for the advice. I'll call them and see what they recommend.

> For CA chain reqts. see:
> In R2 conditions, you ae required to carry some sort of
> traction aiding device, although I've never been asked to show mine,
> good idea to have something.

I'm more worried about getting stuck somewhere than getting caught by
the CHP without having the legally required traction device, but I
want to avoid both problems. So I think I'll get the Z-chains if they'll
fit, and the Spiders otherwise.