Oil consumption options

Old March 1st 06, 02:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Oil consumption options

Now that I will be getting a second Miata, it seems like a good time to
do something about Bozo's oil burning problem. But I am somewhat at a
loss how to proceed. Valve job? Engine rebuild (boring out cylinders?)
Putting in a new engine?

Of course, I am not planning to do anything like these myself. I assume
there are suitable businesses where you can drop the car off and they
will fix the problem in due time.

Leon
http://www.dommelen.net/miata
EXIT THE INTERSTATES (Jamie Jensen)
Old March 1st 06, 04:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Leon van Dommelen wrote:
> Now that I will be getting a second Miata, it seems like a good time to
> do something about Bozo's oil burning problem. But I am somewhat at a
> loss how to proceed. Valve job? Engine rebuild (boring out cylinders?)
> Putting in a new engine?
>
> Of course, I am not planning to do anything like these myself. I assume
> there are suitable businesses where you can drop the car off and they
> will fix the problem in due time.
>
> Leon

Your oil burning is almost certainly piston ring wear, as I am sure that
you know. Have you had a compression test done?

I think that the answer depends on what you want to use the car for from
now on. Any competent mechanic will be able to swap the engine out for a
new crate engine. I am sure that you can have the engine sent to the
shop, drop the car off and pick it up later. My mechanic in Austin will
do this.
You may have to look around to find someone familiar with dealing with
aftermarket superchargers if the mechanic would be swapping that part at
the same time.

On the other hand, it would be awfully tempting to go ahead and rebuild
the engine and do things like polish the intake chambers, set the
compression ratio at the optimum level for your JRSC, and the other
various things that make the engine a bit more precise and powerful.
Just a little thank you for many years of faithful service.

Then there is always the "Monster Bozo" V8 conversion option. ;-)

Pat
Old March 1st 06, 03:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Valve stem leakage will usually produce a cloud of blue smoke every morning
when you first start. (oil drips down over night) No noticeable cloud = no
significant valve leakage.

Old March 2nd 06, 04:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Mal Osborne" > wrote:

>Valve stem leakage will usually produce a cloud of blue smoke every morning
>when you first start. (oil drips down over night) No noticeable cloud = no
>significant valve leakage.

I have clouds when I leave and when I drive. I think oil is pouring out
everywhere.

Leon

.. .

Old March 3rd 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Try a compression test. If compression is down, you need to look at a new
motor. If it is OK, then the problem may just be valve stem seals. These
are a little fiddly to change, but within the scope of most amature
mechanics. It can be done without removing the head, but you will need to
stuff several feet of sash cord through each spark plug hole, then turn the
motor to hold the valves in place. It is *REAL sad if a valve drops through
the head!

I have done stem seals on several cars, but never a Miata.

"Leon van Dommelen" > wrote in message
> "Mal Osborne" > wrote:
>
>>Valve stem leakage will usually produce a cloud of blue smoke every
>>morning
>>when you first start. (oil drips down over night) No noticeable cloud =
>>no
>>significant valve leakage.

> I have clouds when I leave and when I drive. I think oil is pouring out
> everywhere.
>
> Leon

. ..

Old March 3rd 06, 01:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"Mal Osborne" > wrote in
:

> Try a compression test. If compression is down, you need to look
> at a new motor. If it is OK, then the problem may just be valve
> stem seals. These are a little fiddly to change, but within the
> scope of most amature mechanics. It can be done without removing
> the head, but you will need to stuff several feet of sash cord
> through each spark plug hole, then turn the motor to hold the
> valves in place.

There's a gizmo you can buy or make that consists of a sparkplug shell
and a connector for an air hose. You screw it into the plug hole of
the cylinder you're working on and then connect the compressor, the air
pressure will hold the valves tightly closed while you replace the
seals.

It's worked well for me and... if you don't have a good air compressor
never mind.

Old March 3rd 06, 04:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

In article >,
XS11E > wrote:

> There's a gizmo you can buy or make that consists of a sparkplug shell
> and a connector for an air hose. You screw it into the plug hole of
> the cylinder you're working on and then connect the compressor, the air
> pressure will hold the valves tightly closed while you replace the
> seals.

Yep, those have been around forever. Then we'd use a large socket and a
hammer to release the valve spring keepers (wear eye protection for this
step). Most of the time, we could get by without having to pull the head
anyway.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis

AWA [OFFER] Fuel conditioner : reduces consumption 10-15%, and many other benefits ! [email protected] General 0 February 26th 06 09:51 PM
Some options I'd like to see on the accord Herpster1966 Honda 5 February 20th 06 04:58 PM
E46 options? E Brown BMW 2 April 14th 05 11:53 AM
Elantra fuel consumption syl Technology 6 January 20th 05 01:42 AM