4.2L running like a bag of crap

Old July 19th 05, 04:20 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

Default 4.2L running like a bag of crap

I have a 4.2L with a brand new carb(nutters done) and header (feb) it has
run SWEET up until a month ago, now it's running like crap...

It's running really rich, that's the main symptom. Mileage isn't bad but
it's not as good as it was. plugs have about 10K, wires are about a year
old. it doesn't sputter or hesitate and still has great power. It seems to
run closer to normal when it's at operating temp, which makes sense.

Could this be as simple as adjusting the fuel/air mixture? Just seems weird
that "bang" it's running really rich

any help is appreciated

Jason

Old July 19th 05, 05:09 PM
Mike Romain

99% of the time it is the other way, running too lean which acts like
too rich.

Here is a good link to the test and likely fix for it. The tool used
can be obtained at any welding supply shop, it is used for cleaning
torch tips.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/engine/carter.html

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old July 19th 05, 05:18 PM
matt borland

"Pi-Eyed Piper" > wrote in message
> I have a 4.2L with a brand new carb(nutters done) and header (feb) it has
> run SWEET up until a month ago, now it's running like crap...
>
> It's running really rich, that's the main symptom. Mileage isn't bad but
> it's not as good as it was. plugs have about 10K, wires are about a year
> old. it doesn't sputter or hesitate and still has great power. It seems to
> run closer to normal when it's at operating temp, which makes sense.
>
> Could this be as simple as adjusting the fuel/air mixture? Just seems

weird
> that "bang" it's running really rich
>
> any help is appreciated
>
> Jason

Is the air cleaner element filthy? Have you looked at the needle-and-seat
assembly in the carb to see if crud is getting past your fuel filter? Have
you actually pulled the plugs to see how they look? Have you been getting
gas at a different station than you used to?

Just a few of the more obvious things to double-check in case you missed
any of them...

-Matt- "..."

Old July 19th 05, 05:29 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

ok, I'll check that. With the carb being so new I didn't actually think to
do that, I know these carbs can be troublsome.

Jason

Old July 19th 05, 05:31 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

K&N Filter and it was just cleaned a couple months ago, hasn't been offroad
since. I pulled the plugs when we did the carb, I'll check them again. Gas
at the same place.
. ..

Old July 19th 05, 05:31 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

when a vehicle runs lean does temp go up? Mine is still very normal

Old July 19th 05, 06:19 PM
Billy Ray

While you are in there check the insides of the air tube between the K&N
filter and the carb. The reason you get additional power from K&N style
filters is because they are poor filters. They allow more air and more
dirt/dust than the filter paper type. You can alleviate some of the
problems by installing a pre-filter before the K&N.

Old July 19th 05, 06:44 PM
Mike Romain

No, is only does it on the idle circuit, once up to speed it runs
normal.

It is from chunks of crud usually found hiding in the steel gas line
between the filter and carb. No one remembers to clean this line. Then
if you run out of gas, it can suck black chunks from the charcoal
canister that cause the same trouble.

Mike

Old July 19th 05, 07:52 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

another symptom I just encountered, I honked on it coming out of a parking
lot while grabbing lunch and smelled raw fuel really bad for a few seconds..

Old July 19th 05, 07:53 PM
Mike Romain

Full tank?

Mike

Pi-Eyed Piper wrote:

> another symptom I just encountered, I honked on it coming out of a parking
> lot while grabbing lunch and smelled raw fuel really bad for a few seconds..
>
> "Mike Romain" > wrote in message
> > No, is only does it on the idle circuit, once up to speed it runs
> > normal.
> >
> > It is from chunks of crud usually found hiding in the steel gas line
> > between the filter and carb. No one remembers to clean this line. Then
> > if you run out of gas, it can suck black chunks from the charcoal
> > canister that cause the same trouble.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> > Pi-Eyed Piper wrote:
> >>
> >> when a vehicle runs lean does temp go up? Mine is still very normal

Car Running HOT, NOW WHAT? HotRod VW water cooled 21 October 16th 05 12:25 PM
1973 280SEL 4.5 running rough Alex Technology 2 May 21st 05 04:24 PM
90 yj running hot Jason Halsey Jeep 5 February 7th 05 07:58 PM
91 Integra Condenser Fan Keeps Running sean Honda 1 January 19th 05 05:23 AM
'95 Civic Cooling Fan not running DesignGuy Honda 6 January 4th 05 09:16 AM