How do you remove the timing belt sprocket from front camshaft, 90 Dodge Spirit?

Old July 21st 04, 01:50 AM
Chuck

Default How do you remove the timing belt sprocket from front camshaft, 90 Dodge Spirit?

Trying to replace a leaking oil seal at the front of the camshaft.
I've got the timing belt off, and the pulley, and have removed the
bolt that secures the sprocket to the front of the camshaft. The
service manual shows a flat puller being used, the kind where you
secure it to the sprocket using the threaded bolt holes on the
sprocket and turn a bolt throught the middle that pushes the flat
plate (and anything it is bolted to) away from what the center bolt is
pushing against. The sprocket they show has 4 holes, and the photo
shows a puller attached to 2 holes on opposite sides, so the pulling
force is even (straight off of the shaft). The sprocket I am trying to
remove has 5 holes, so none line up directly across from each other.
I've tried a harmonic balancer puller, which has two holes directly
across from each other and 2 more at about 45 degrees from one of the
other holes, - 2 holes line up, but since they are not directly across
from each other, the pulling force is not straight off of the shaft,
and all I did was bend the bolts holding the puller on.

Any suggestions?
Old July 21st 04, 03:59 AM
Daytona1

Ok, sounds like the motors still in the car, beleave me it's a cake job
when its out. Anyway it sounds like you do have a striaght shot at the
gear. The gear is pressed on pretty well, the bolt really helps on the
installing process.
The puller is everything, get a good one. Heat will be your friend on
this job. Get yourself a Mapp Gas Tourch at Home Depot ~ $15.00. Heat
that guy up, Install the puller and go nuts... Good luck.

Old July 24th 04, 11:11 PM
chatterx

I had the same problem with my 89 shelby daytona. I had to make a puller.

Take your crank pully to a metal or machine shop and have them drill holes
that match the crank pully holes in a 1/2 thick piece of metal, and for the
bolt in the center have them drill a half inch hole and tap it for a course
thread bolt and theres you pulley. shouldnt cost very much at all
om...

Old July 24th 04, 11:11 PM
chatterx

I had the same problem with my 89 shelby daytona. I had to make a puller.

Take your crank pully to a metal or machine shop and have them drill holes
that match the crank pully holes in a 1/2 thick piece of metal, and for the
bolt in the center have them drill a half inch hole and tap it for a course
thread bolt and theres you pulley. shouldnt cost very much at all
om...