Carfax vehicle history - suspicious?

Old May 5th 06, 06:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,chi.general

Default Carfax vehicle history - suspicious?

I'm in the chicago area and I'm looking to buy this car from a local
Chevy dealer:

2003 Toyota Camry LE Sedan 4 DR
2.4L L4 EFI DOHC 16V
Equipment: Standard
Mileage: 49,500
Asking price: $13K

Kelly Blue book (Trade in value - Good condition) is about $11K for my
zip code (60004). Cosmetically the car is in excellent condition. The
body has no rust, paint is in great shape with no scratches, dents or
dings that I can see. The interior is also great, no fading, stains,
rips or tears that I can see. It rides great, and I'm going to take it
to a mechanic for an inspection.

The Chevy dealer will sell it to me for $12,300. They gave me a copy of
it's Carfax report, and I'm wondering how to decipher it:

8/25/2003
Mileage:
Source: NICB
Comments: Vehicle manufactured and shipped to original dealer.

9/04/2003
Mileage: 3
Source: Service Facility
Comments: Vehicle serviced.

9/05/2003
Mileage: 3
Source: Dealer Inventory Kentucky
Comments: Vehicle sold

9/15/2003
Mileage: 3
Source: Kentucky Motor Vehicle Dept - Louisville, Kentucky
Comments: Registered as a personal vehicle

9/18/2003
Mileage: 11
Source: Kentucky Motor Vehicle Dept - Louisville, Kentucky
Comments: Title or registration issued. First owner reported. Loan or
lien reported.

2/25/2005
Mileage: 41,328
Source: Kentucky Motor Vehicle Dept - Cedar Rapids, IA
Comments: Title or registration issued.

4/28/2005
Mileage: 49,391
Source: Auto Auction
Comments: Sold at auction in Southeast Region. Listed as a fleet
vehicle.

4/29/2005
Mileage: 49,391
Source: Kentucky Motor Vehicle Dept - Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Comments: Title or registration issued. New owner reported.

5/12/2005
Mileage: 49,398
Source: Auto Auction
Comments: Sold at auction in Southeast Region. Listed as a dealer
vehicle.

5/312005
Mileage: 49,398
Source: Dealer Inventory - Lincolnwood, IL
Comments: Vehicle offered for sale

2/24/2006
Mileage: 49,398
Source: Dealer Inventory - Palatine, IL
Comments: Vehicle offered for sale

3/10/2006
Mileage: 49,398
Source: Illinois Motor Vehicle Dept - Chicago, IL
Comments: Title issued or updated. New owner reported.

Can anyone summarize this for me? This car has bounced around a few
states, has been sold at auction twice, and has been offered for sale
twice with some pretty long gaps in between. Any red flags here? Any
help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Dave

Old May 5th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,chi.general

That's a fairly unremarkable history. Auction sales sometimes indicate
repossession, but it's not likely in this case because of the car's fleet
and dealer use, and also because just two months transpired between
title changes.

Just from the record it looks like the car was bought new by a private
party, 41K miles put on it, then sold to a company for fleet use (and
fortunately only 8K miles was put on it during this period -- fleet use is
second only to rental use in terms of general abuse that cars receive).

Old May 5th 06, 07:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,chi.general

In article . com>,
wrote:

> Any red flags here?

That car has had more action than a 42 year old hooker
Old May 5th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,chi.general

Thanks for the reply Mark. What you said makes sense.

The only other thing I'm wondering about is the fact that the car sat
on one dealers lot for 8 months (5/312005 - 2/24/2006) without being
sold, and then another dealers lot for 2 months (2/24/2006 - Present)
until I walked up and test drove it yesterday.

I would imagine the Camry, as a pretty popular car, would be fairly
easy to sell. Is this normal for a car to sit on a dealers lot for this
long?

Old May 5th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,chi.general

> wrote in message oups.com...
> Thanks for the reply Mark. What you said makes sense.
>
> The only other thing I'm wondering about is the fact that the car sat
> on one dealers lot for 8 months (5/312005 - 2/24/2006) without being
> sold, and then another dealers lot for 2 months (2/24/2006 - Present)
> until I walked up and test drove it yesterday.
>
> I would imagine the Camry, as a pretty popular car, would be fairly
> easy to sell. Is this normal for a car to sit on a dealers lot for this
> long?

Depends on what they were asking for the car. Also, I don't know
much about Carfax reports, especially with regard to how complete
they are.

Old May 5th 06, 07:48 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,chi.general

In article .com>,
wrote:

> The only other thing I'm wondering about is the fact that the car sat
> on one dealers lot for 8 months

how accurate can the fax actually be?

I mean the nephew of the dealer could have been driving it and any
number of people coulda had Vinnie the alley mechanic working on it....
Old May 5th 06, 09:24 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,chi.general

>snip<
>
> Can anyone summarize this for me? This car has bounced around a few
> states, has been sold at auction twice, and has been offered for sale
> twice with some pretty long gaps in between. Any red flags here? Any
> help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
>
> - Dave

Between 2/25/2005 and 4/28/2005 approximately 8000 miles were put on the
car. That's 4000 miles a month.
I was in the auto business many years ago. Favorite of a used car dealer
was to re-register cars in different states to cover up a 'clocked' (speedo
turned back) car. My opinion is to be leery with this car.

Old May 5th 06, 10:17 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,chi.general

> wrote in message
ups.com...

snip
> Can anyone summarize this for me? This car has bounced around a few
> states, has been sold at auction twice, and has been offered for sale
> twice with some pretty long gaps in between. Any red flags here? Any
> help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

i don't like that it's been across several states. that's what is done
when
there's a title problem. if it was listed as totaled or severely damaged
in one state, it may not be reflected in another, depending upon what is
required.
ditto for water damaged cars.

Old May 5th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,chi.general

On Fri, 5 May 2006, Mark_M wrote:

> > wrote in message oups.com...
>> Thanks for the reply Mark. What you said makes sense.
>>
>> The only other thing I'm wondering about is the fact that the car sat
>> on one dealers lot for 8 months (5/312005 - 2/24/2006) without being
>> sold, and then another dealers lot for 2 months (2/24/2006 - Present)
>> until I walked up and test drove it yesterday.
>>
>> I would imagine the Camry, as a pretty popular car, would be fairly
>> easy to sell. Is this normal for a car to sit on a dealers lot for this
>> long?

> Depends on what they were asking for the car. Also, I don't know
> much about Carfax reports, especially with regard to how complete
> they are.

what color is it?

Old May 5th 06, 11:32 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers,chi.general

barbie gee wrote:
> On Fri, 5 May 2006, Mark_M wrote:
>
> > > wrote in message oups.com...
> >> Thanks for the reply Mark. What you said makes sense.
> >>
> >> The only other thing I'm wondering about is the fact that the car sat
> >> on one dealers lot for 8 months (5/312005 - 2/24/2006) without being
> >> sold, and then another dealers lot for 2 months (2/24/2006 - Present)
> >> until I walked up and test drove it yesterday.
> >>
> >> I would imagine the Camry, as a pretty popular car, would be fairly
> >> easy to sell. Is this normal for a car to sit on a dealers lot for this
> >> long?

> > Depends on what they were asking for the car. Also, I don't know
> > much about Carfax reports, especially with regard to how complete
> > they are.
> >

> what color is it?

Phantom gray pearl. It looks sharp. Wanna go for a ride in it?