Looking at buying a '92 Miata

Old April 29th 06, 10:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default Looking at buying a '92 Miata

Here's the deal. It's going for about $1600 more than NADA ($6495).
But, I think it's worth it. It only has 91,000 miles on it. It's
owned by a 64 year old retired gentleman and his wife who is only
selling it because his wife has artheristis and can't get in and out of
it. He just put $2000 in Koni shocks into it, new rims, and the thing
looks like it has never been out of the garage. It's got A/C, Power
Steering, the works. I didn't even know they came with A/C. It does
have the soft top. That is in mint condition.
So, does anyone think I'm out of line for paying a little more for the
added piece of mind of a mint condition vehicle? I've just seen so
many abused Miata's that this one is like finding a diamond in a bin of
coal. Everything is Mint on this Miata. I guess I've convinced myself
into buying it. But, I just need to know if anyone else has done the
same thing?
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho

Old April 30th 06, 12:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"suseuser" > wrote in
oups.com:

> Here's the deal. It's going for about $1600 more than NADA
> ($6495). But, I think it's worth it. It only has 91,000 miles on
> it. It's owned by a 64 year old retired gentleman and his wife
> who is only selling it because his wife has artheristis and can't
> get in and out of it. He just put $2000 in Koni shocks into it,
> new rims, and the thing looks like it has never been out of the
> garage. It's got A/C, Power Steering, the works. I didn't even
> know they came with A/C. It does have the soft top. That is in
> mint condition. So, does anyone think I'm out of line for paying a
> little more for the added piece of mind of a mint condition
> vehicle? I've just seen so many abused Miata's that this one is
> like finding a diamond in a bin of coal. Everything is Mint on
> this Miata. I guess I've convinced myself into buying it. But, I
> just need to know if anyone else has done the same thing?

I paid $4000 for mine a year back, it had new top, new brakes, new
timing belt and new tires. Like most 1992s it came with power
steering, power brakes, anti-lock brakes, power windows, cruise control
and air conditioning. It was around 140,000 miles, the NADA book value
on it today is $4,575. The Kelly Blue Book is $2,865 which seems low.

Your price seems VERY high. KBB on your mileage and same equipment as
mine is $3,415 and the NADA is $4,800. I think Kelly is low and NADA
is high, about $4,000 should be right.

Old April 30th 06, 02:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

$8,000 for a 14 year old car that has 91,000.
Does that sound good to you?
It doesn't sound good to me.
I would sooner buy a much later year for the same money (though i prefer the
look of the na1, the 89-97 that is, over the rest).
shop ebay, autotrader, and craiglist.org. your miata is out there
someplace. the seller has to realize that you don't get back much for
upgrades. you do them for your personal benifit. And at 91k I wonder if the
timming belt was ever done or if you are looking at a $600-$800 repair right
out of the gates...

ps. bought mine in the dead of winter when nobody wanted to buy a
convertible so perhaps that is why my outlook on price is the way it is.
spring/summer buyers certainly pay a premium.

oups.com...

Old April 30th 06, 05:25 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

It's actually a '93. And the timing belt hasn't been changed. I had a
chance to drive it and it handles like new. You could eat off the
engine compartment. The interior shows almost no wear at all. But,
the exterior, on the bumpers did show some fading. And there were a
few "parking lot" dings. So, it isn't perfect. It's not leather and
it doesn't have the CD option. And I didn't notice a cruise control.
I think folks may have misunderstood what I said his asking price was,
he wants $6495 for the Miata. KBB put's it at $5225 and NADA puts it
at $5100. So, he's still asking at least $1300 over high book value.
When I drove it, I could tell it had never been abused. Everything
worked tight. Shifting was smooth, clutch operation was fine, engine
operation was fine, had great oil pressure at lower rpms. It just
seemed like someones "weekend toy." I'm sure I could find a better
deal. But, I would wonder about the cars history. But, there is no
way I'd be driving the car anywhere without first changing the timing
belt!
Curtis
Nampa, Idaho

Old April 30th 06, 05:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

"suseuser" > wrote in
ups.com:

> And I didn't notice a cruise control. I think folks may have
> misunderstood what I said his asking price was, he wants $6495 for
> the Miata. KBB put's it at $5225 and NADA puts it at $5100.

No where NEAR that! Using YOUR zip code (83686), a 1993 is
worth $3,790 per KBB. That's in EXCELLENT condition and you've described
a car in "good" condition at best.

Just where are you looking?

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.u...cp;&14;M A;H1

$4,000 should be top dollar for that car.

Old April 30th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

XS11E > wrote in
:

> No where NEAR that! Using YOUR zip code (83686), a 1993 is
> worth $3,790 per KBB. That's in EXCELLENT condition and you've
> described a car in "good" condition at best.
>
> Just where are you looking?
>
> http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.u...&83686&;303297
> &;;ucp;&14;MA;H1
>
> $4,000 should be top dollar for that car.

OK, KBB won't open the link so here's the info:

Vehicle Details Change Equipment
Engine: 4-Cyl. 1.6 Liter
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Drivetrain: RWD
Mileage: 91,000
Selected Standard Equipment
AM/FM Stereo Cassette
Selected Optional Equipment
Air Conditioning Power Steering Power Windows

Blue Book Private Party Value
Private Party Value is what a buyer can expect to pay when buying a
used car from a private party. The Private Party Value assumes the
vehicle is sold "As Is" and carries no warranty (other than the
continuing factory warranty). The final sale price may vary depending
on the vehicle's actual condition and local market conditions. This
value may also be used to derive Fair Market Value for insurance and
vehicle donation purposes.

Vehicle Condition Ratings Check Vehicle Title History
Excellent
$3,790
"Excellent" condition means that the vehicle looks new, is in excellent
mechanical condition and needs no reconditioning. This vehicle has
never had any paint or body work and is free of rust. The vehicle has a
clean title history and will pass a smog and safety inspection. The
engine compartment is clean, with no fluid leaks and is free of any
wear or visible defects. The vehicle also has complete and verifiable
service records. Less than 5% of all used vehicles fall into this
category.

Good (Selected)
$3,415
"Good" condition means that the vehicle is free of any major defects.
This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body and interior
have only minor (if any) blemishes, and there are no major mechanical
problems. There should be little or no rust on this vehicle. The tires
match and have substantial tread wear left. A "good" vehicle will need
some reconditioning to be sold at retail. Most consumer owned vehicles
fall into this category.

Fair
$2,950
"Fair" condition means that the vehicle has some mechanical or cosmetic
defects and needs servicing but is still in reasonable running
condition. This vehicle has a clean title history, the paint, body
and/or interior need work performed by a professional. The tires may
need to be replaced. There may be some repairable rust damage.

Poor
N/A
"Poor" condition means that the vehicle has severe mechanical and/or
cosmetic defects and is in poor running condition. The vehicle may have
problems that cannot be readily fixed such as a damaged frame or a
rusted-through body. A vehicle with a branded title (salvage, flood,
etc.) or unsubstantiated mileage is considered "poor." A vehicle in
poor condition may require an independent appraisal to determine its
value.

* Idaho 04/29/2006

Old April 30th 06, 08:56 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On 29 Apr 2006 21:25:10 -0700, "suseuser" >
wrote:

>It's actually a '93. And the timing belt hasn't been changed. I had a
>chance to drive it and it handles like new. You could eat off the
>engine compartment. The interior shows almost no wear at all. But,
>the exterior, on the bumpers did show some fading. And there were a
>few "parking lot" dings. So, it isn't perfect. It's not leather and
>it doesn't have the CD option. And I didn't notice a cruise control.
>I think folks may have misunderstood what I said his asking price was,
>he wants $6495 for the Miata. KBB put's it at $5225 and NADA puts it
>at $5100. So, he's still asking at least $1300 over high book value.
>When I drove it, I could tell it had never been abused. Everything
>worked tight. Shifting was smooth, clutch operation was fine, engine
>operation was fine, had great oil pressure at lower rpms. It just
>seemed like someones "weekend toy." I'm sure I could find a better
>deal. But, I would wonder about the cars history. But, there is no
>way I'd be driving the car anywhere without first changing the timing
>belt!
>Curtis
>Nampa, Idaho

A person should pay what they are willing to pay and it sounds like
you are willing to pay and want the car so go ahead buy the car.

Have fun and enjoy it.
Old April 30th 06, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

yes, that is less than i originally understood, but still high. sounds like
the owner wants the book value plus money back for his shock upgrade (but
upgrades never add much if any to resale value).
a super clean engine compartment on a car with 91k makes me more suspicious
than happy. it should show signs of wear. if the owner had it steam
cleaned than i would wonder what they are trying to hide. but that said, if
you like the car, and feel that you know your local market in terms of
price, and can stomach the expensive timing belt repair which should be done
within the next 10k (scheduled to have been done at 60k but many wait until
100k), then go for it.

ups.com...

Old April 30th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

suseuser wrote:
> Here's the deal. It's going for about $1600 more than NADA ($6495).
> But, I think it's worth it. It only has 91,000 miles on it. It's
> owned by a 64 year old retired gentleman and his wife who is only
> selling it because his wife has artheristis and can't get in and out
> of it. He just put $2000 in Koni shocks into it, new rims, and the
> thing looks like it has never been out of the garage. It's got A/C,
> Power Steering, the works. I didn't even know they came with A/C.
> It does have the soft top. That is in mint condition.
> So, does anyone think I'm out of line for paying a little more for the
> added piece of mind of a mint condition vehicle? I've just seen so
> many abused Miata's that this one is like finding a diamond in a bin
> of coal. Everything is Mint on this Miata. I guess I've convinced
> myself into buying it. But, I just need to know if anyone else has
> done the same thing?

Sure, many of us have gotten ahold of Miatas in great condition, but not for
that price. For $8095, I'd be happy sell you my '95 M-edition with 109k
miles. It's in great condition, but even *it* isn't worth that much money.
Heck, four years ago I only paid $9k for this car with 64k miles.

Don't pay a lot of extra money for a Miata that seems to be in great
condition; there are a lot of Miatas available that have low mileage and
have been taken care of properly.

--
tooloud
Remove nothing to reply

Old April 30th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

3 weeks ago, I bought a pristine 2000 that turned 37K miles as I was test
driving it, for $10,000.

I LOVE the car. Almost (grin) as much fun as my 59 Austin Healey (which has
no A/C).

Tim

oups.com...