1991 Mazda 626 4 Cylinder

Old March 25th 06, 11:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Default 1991 Mazda 626 4 Cylinder

I have a question about my car. There is oil getting into the coolant. Once
the oil gets to thick in the radiator the car starts to over heat and I
have to drain it out and ad new coolant. I have been told that it is my
engine head and others have told me that the engine block has a crack. Has
anyone had this problem before and if so what was the solution ?

Old March 26th 06, 12:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

denver2 wrote:
> I have a question about my car. There is oil getting into the coolant. Once
> the oil gets to thick in the radiator the car starts to over heat and I
> have to drain it out and ad new coolant. I have been told that it is my
> engine head and others have told me that the engine block has a crack. Has
> anyone had this problem before and if so what was the solution ?

Almost certainly the head, either the gasket, a warped head or a crack.
The solution is to have it removed, repaired/replaced and re-installed.

Since you have been running thick oil in your antifreeze, there are
going to be other issues as well with your cooling system; the water
pump, radiator, etc. None of this is inexpensive.

If possible, I would stop driving it now and start looking at other car
options. The repair costs are going to be a very large percentage, if
not higher, than the value of a 15 year old 626.
If you do keep driving it, you should expect it to break down very soon.

Pat
Old March 26th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

I second what Pat said, time to change rides. Get a Miata ;-)

Chris
99BBB

Old March 26th 06, 06:08 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

HAh.. that was going to be my suggestion. Went down to the lot today and
looked at the new MX-5's.. sexy little things. If only they sold the
mazdaspeeds here.

Old March 26th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

Thanks for the info but I want keep this little car. The engine run find
and it is getting 30 miles to the gallon. Why would want give up that kind
of mileage. I Said oil is going in to the radiator not water into the
engine. The engine is still savageable at this point. I can do all the
laber myself which would save all the labor cost. The parts I can get
though a freind that gets wholesale price for me.
Normally a blowen head gasket or a worpt head would let the coolant go in
to the engine block. I want keep this car so please no give up and move on
responds. What do think is the problem?

Old March 27th 06, 01:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

90% chance of a cylinder head problem, either corroded, cracked or warped.
Next step is take it off and see what you find. Oil in the water is less
common than water in the oil, but still happens, and usually indicates head
failure.

There is also the possibility of a leak in the radiator oil cooling if it's
an auto, a cracked block, or something else obscure. If you have decided to
keep the car, whip the head off and budget for a recon one & some gaskets.

lkaboutautos.com...

Old March 27th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

denver2 wrote:
> Thanks for the info but I want keep this little car. The engine run find
> and it is getting 30 miles to the gallon. Why would want give up that kind
> of mileage. I Said oil is going in to the radiator not water into the
> engine. The engine is still savageable at this point. I can do all the
> laber myself which would save all the labor cost. The parts I can get
> though a freind that gets wholesale price for me.
> Normally a blowen head gasket or a worpt head would let the coolant go in
> to the engine block. I want keep this car so please no give up and move on
> responds. What do think is the problem?

You know what the problem is - your car is on its way to leaving this
mortal coil. I had the same problem with a '94 Mustang. Blown head
gasket that leaked coolant into the cylinders. The car blew coolant out
the tailpipe. It got worse just driving it home to the point that the
coolant contaminated the oil and the bearings started knocking. The
engine was a loss. The car was worth $4000 - about what it would cost
for a replacement engine. No more Mustang - hello MX-5!.