Dodge Caliber / Jeep Compass Opinions

Old November 26th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
mike[_1_]

Default Dodge Caliber / Jeep Compass Opinions

I am looking for what people think of the the Dodge Caliber and Jeep
Compass.
I am looking at ordering a Jeep Compass, early in the new year, and am
looking for opinions from those that own either the Jeep, or the Dodge
Caliber. I know that both are very simular, and I have seen alot of
Calibers, but very few Jeeps.

I tend to avoid purchasing a first year vehicle, however, my current
car is on its last legs, and will more then likely not make it till
next year.

Any opinions on the new transmission in these vehicles? I personally
would rather the manual, but being that my wife will be driving this
more often then not, I don't get much say.

Any problems with these vehicles?

Thank you,

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Old November 27th 06, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dave Gower

"mike" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am looking for what people think of the the Dodge Caliber and Jeep
> Compass.
> I am looking at ordering a Jeep Compass, early in the new year, and am
> looking for opinions from those that own either the Jeep, or the Dodge
> Caliber. I know that both are very simular, and I have seen alot of
> Calibers, but very few Jeeps.
>
> I tend to avoid purchasing a first year vehicle, however, my current
> car is on its last legs, and will more then likely not make it till
> next year.
>
> Any opinions on the new transmission in these vehicles? I personally
> would rather the manual, but being that my wife will be driving this
> more often then not, I don't get much say.
>
> Any problems with these vehicles?

I'm wrestling with exactly the same decision, with exactly the same timing.
Like you I've always preferred manuals, but I love that CVT on both
vehicles. I suppose I'd get blasé about it, but that 6-1 ratio range does
great things, especially 2100 rpm on the highway, which is amazing for a
4-cylinder car.

Haven't seen any indication of problems yet, but since both the engine and
transmissions are brand new only time will tell. Of course, variable valve
timing is not really new (and neither are CVTs) so it may not be that risky.

I'm also looking at the HHR, which has the advantage of being in the second
year of production and having established a good record for reliability and
quality in its first year.

One problem the HHR and Caliber share (and the Compass too in a lesser
degree) is rather poor visibility due to thick pillars. I especially dislike
the rear view on the Caliber, although few owners complain about it on
forums, so maybe I'm worrying for nothing.

I just love the way the seats fold on all three vehicles, particularly that
forward-folding front passenger's seat. Why didn't anyone think of that
before?

Another thing that appeals to me is the colors available on all three. I
think the Caliber looks great in white, the Compass in that smashing Jeep
Green, and the HHR really classy in beige. You have to see them in the
metal; pictures don't do them justice.

If your car is on its last legs, one way to give it a rest and find out what
you like is to rent each one for a week or two. It'll cost a few bucks but
it may be a good investment to be sure what you like.

Old November 27th 06, 08:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Dave Gower" > wrote in message

> "mike" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I am looking for what people think of the the Dodge Caliber and Jeep
> > Compass.
> > I am looking at ordering a Jeep Compass, early in the new year, and am
> > looking for opinions from those that own either the Jeep, or the Dodge
> > Caliber. I know that both are very simular, and I have seen alot of
> > Calibers, but very few Jeeps.
> >
> > I tend to avoid purchasing a first year vehicle, however, my current
> > car is on its last legs, and will more then likely not make it till
> > next year.
> >
> > Any opinions on the new transmission in these vehicles? I personally
> > would rather the manual, but being that my wife will be driving this
> > more often then not, I don't get much say.
> >
> > Any problems with these vehicles?

> I'm wrestling with exactly the same decision, with exactly the same

timing.
> Like you I've always preferred manuals, but I love that CVT on both
> vehicles. I suppose I'd get blasé about it, but that 6-1 ratio range does
> great things, especially 2100 rpm on the highway, which is amazing for a
> 4-cylinder car.

If this is a Jeep then do you intend to sell it used at some point and try
to recoup some money out of it? If so, the CVT transmission will
not carrythe same resale value as the manual.

Ted

Old November 27th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> If this is a Jeep then do you intend to sell it used at some point and try
> to recoup some money out of it? If so, the CVT transmission will
> not carrythe same resale value as the manual.
>
> Ted

Well, its not REALLY a Jeep, its a little station wagon with a Jeep name
on it. So I don't think the CVT is going to be an issue as it would be
if this were a Wrangler or a (wish they still made them) Cherokee.
Old November 27th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Dave Gower

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote

>...do you intend to sell it used at some point and try
> to recoup some money out of it? If so, the CVT transmission will
> not carrythe same resale value as the manual.

Why is that? I am not a traditional jeep owner and presumably neither would
be the next buyer.

Old November 28th 06, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
who

In article >,
"Dave Gower" > wrote:

> "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote
>
> >...do you intend to sell it used at some point and try
> > to recoup some money out of it? If so, the CVT transmission will
> > not carrythe same resale value as the manual.

> Why is that? I am not a traditional jeep owner and presumably neither would
> be the next buyer.

Traditional Jeep people are attracted to a "Jeep".
Old November 28th 06, 02:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Some O

In article .com>,
"mike" > wrote:

> I am looking for what people think of the the Dodge Caliber and Jeep
> Compass.
> I am looking at ordering a Jeep Compass, early in the new year, and am
> looking for opinions from those that own either the Jeep, or the Dodge
> Caliber. I know that both are very simular, and I have seen alot of
> Calibers, but very few Jeeps.
>
> I tend to avoid purchasing a first year vehicle, however, my current
> car is on its last legs, and will more then likely not make it till
> next year.

Having been burned a few times I always wait a few model years on a new
mechanical design.
Everything mechanical is new with the Caliber.

The CVT also interests me, but I'm wondering why we see auto
transmissions going up to 6 and 8 speeds.
I would definitely rent any car before I buy, as I've done for my last 2
cars which I've been very happy driving.
Old November 28th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Grenamier

So far the reliability has looked really good for the Caliber and there
shouldn't be any reason to expect the Compass to be different. That
said, I hate everything about the Compass and I wish it didn't exist.
Rather soon, the Patriot will come out on the same platform and it will
be a bit more Jeepy than the Compass with possibly more interior room
and better sightlines.

Old December 2nd 06, 09:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Dave Gower" > wrote in message

> "Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote
>
> >...do you intend to sell it used at some point and try
> > to recoup some money out of it? If so, the CVT transmission will
> > not carrythe same resale value as the manual.

> Why is that? I am not a traditional jeep owner and presumably neither

would
> be the next buyer.

It has nothing to do with that. I kind of wonder if you have ever bought
a used car you don't think like the typical used car buyer.

A used car buyer is going to prefer a manual since manuals are simpler
and have less to go wrong, and when they do go wrong, they are
less expensive to fix.

Ted

Old December 2nd 06, 05:17 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve B.

On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 01:31:20 -0800, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
> wrote:
>
>It has nothing to do with that. I kind of wonder if you have ever bought
>a used car you don't think like the typical used car buyer.
>
>A used car buyer is going to prefer a manual since manuals are simpler
>and have less to go wrong, and when they do go wrong, they are
>less expensive to fix.
>
>Ted

A very small percentage of people still want to change gears. Doesn't
matter if they are buying new or used. Hell, nobody under the age of
40 even knows how to change gears anymore. If you are buying for
resale get the CVT.

Steve B.

opinions on Caliber cosza Chrysler 0 October 13th 06 02:33 PM
Dodge Caliber Art Chrysler 30 June 21st 06 01:35 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 02:22 PM
Opinions on Jeep Cherokee [email protected] 4x4 7 September 7th 04 06:13 AM