gas prices too high or too low?

Old June 14th 04, 06:55 AM
Michael B. Williams

Get a motorcycle - most get more then 50 mpg or more great for short
trips
wouldn't work to good for Ron though. I'm just as guilty at my house
we
have 2 cars (MR2 86, Accord 95) 1 Truck ( GMC K1500 98 ) 1 Van (
Quest 01 ). I ride my street bike to work or the MR2 because of the
price of gas. The Quest takes about 15 gal @ 2.30 ( LA County,
Califorina ) which would be about 34$, the Truck would would set me
back over 60$. The MR2 gets about 30 mpg if I stay
out of the red line I normal get 26 mpg. I have no idea what the
Accord gets because I never drive it ( her car ). The Truck gets about
12 mpg and the Van will get 21 mpg on the open highway buy about 15
to as low as 12 depending
if I have a Van full of Wife kids and stuff with the air blowing.

My hole point after reading most of the post to this thread is that
yes I beleive that gas is toooo high but there ain't **** I can do
about it! I need my Truck to hall my stuff around (Toyota nor Nissan
doesn't make a Truck with enough balls or room) and the Van for when
the wife and kids. I still have my 1986 MR2 from my single days
because it's fun to drive and It's payed for and the most important it
is reliable.

The bottom line is Michael has all these gas powered vehicals at his
house and he's going to have to pay it! But I have been riding my
motorcyle a lot more these days!!

Michael B's 2$ worth

Ron Tipton > wrote in message >...
> >>People don't NEED to be driving at all, so unless you have a bus pass
> >>you're just talking out of your ass.

> Hummmm, speak for yourself. I suppose it may be that you don't NEED to
> be driving. But I do. I'm disabled and cannot ride a bike or ever walk
> more than around 1/4 mile without a rest. I also don't deal with heat
> well. I live in a city (Knoxville, Tennessee) with very poor public
> transportation and long hot summers. The nearest place to buy food is
> a mile or so away, my work is seven miles away and the nearest public
> transportation is about three mile away.
>
> If I don't NEED to drive, explain to me how I get work, buy food, etc.
> I suppose you could pass laws greatly limiting where folks like me can
> live/work etc, or lock us up somewhere or just kill us, but lacking
> these draconian measures I think that some of us do indeed NEED to drive.
>
> Of course, I didn't mention all of the people who live in rural areas
> with no public transprotation. How do you suggest they get around if
> they

don't NEED to drive?

Old June 14th 04, 07:31 PM
Default User

dcbryan wrote:

> Brian-
>
> Where the heck are you living that gas was $1.20 in '81? I started driving
> in '87 and I clearly remember paying around 87 cents per gallon then.

St. Louis. Actually some of the cheapest average gas prices around.

1981 was a much different year than 1987. At the time, many gas stations
used the old style pumps with rotating mechanical numbers. Those could
represent prices over 99.9c a gallon, so they had to set the price to
half of what it actually was, then double the amount you paid.

Here's a link to an historical chart of gas prices:

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/gaspr....shtml#History

Note the local peak in the early 1980's. It was an interesting time,
inflation and interest rates were very high. My loan on the Blazer was
at 20.8% interest. Fixed mortage rates were around 14%, which was close
to the inflation rate.

Brian Rodenborn
Old June 14th 04, 07:31 PM

Old June 24th 04, 07:23 PM
Veronica Thomas

Dave,

You're right! Why? Today's America has to be top of the line EVERYTHING.
A new $15,000 car comes out, no one wants it. A new $40,000 vehicle comes
out, everyone wants it. They have to have the newest and bestest thing
around, no matter what the consequence. We have become a self satisfying,
"beat the Jones" society. The future to most people is tomorrow, next week,
next month. Certainly not 10 years down the road.

Like the one guys says, I want it, I can do it and I will do it. People
today don't know what united means, much less the work conservation!!

Have a great day.

"Dave Hill" > wrote in message
> > People don't NEED to be driving at all, so unless you have a bus pass
> > you're just talking out of your ass.

> Well actually, in our society today, where a horse-and-buggy is simply not
> practical in most areas, and very few people have the luxury of living
> within walking distance of their employment or recreation or even basic
> supplies like groceries, and public transportation is not feasible for a

lot
> of folks--- most people *do* need to drive. Whether we like it or not,

this
> country's social, family, and work lifestyles are centered around personal
> vehicles. But that issue wasn't my point. I'm not going to debate

whether
> it should be or not. Right now, it just is.
>
> Conservation is the key word. Back in the late 1970s / early 1980s, we

were
> willing to conserve on gas. Cars became smaller, people drove fewer

miles.
> Now, it seems, we're not willing to conserve at all. That's not a good
> thing.
>
> Saying that people don't need to be driving at all, even if that *is*
> accepted as truth, doesn't explain or even comment to my remark about

SUV's.
> I still don't understand why it's necessary to purchase (and drive) them

as
> often as people do, when a smaller gas-saving car would do just fine most

of
> the time. SUV's are gas hogs, and as such, they're worse for the
> environment, much worse for the pocketbook, and they take up more than

their

Old June 24th 04, 07:23 PM
Veronica Thomas

Old June 24th 04, 07:25 PM
Veronica Thomas

What kind of vehicle to you drive then? An SUV or perhaps a modest 4
cylinder?

Old June 24th 04, 07:25 PM
Veronica Thomas

Old June 24th 04, 07:28 PM
Veronica Thomas

Michael, you may have vehicles that use alot of gas, they are for specific
reasons. At least you do have an economical car that you drive every day.
If you were driving the Van every day, that would be a different story.
Does anyone see the difference?

om...

Old June 24th 04, 07:28 PM
Veronica Thomas

Old June 24th 04, 07:38 PM
Veronica Thomas

What about milk prices? I paid $5.00 for one gallon of milk the other day. Should we start drinking gas? The milk prices go up when the gas prices go up. The gas prices go up because people know the mentality of Americans. If we want it, we'll buy it. The more we want it, the more we'll pay for it. SUV's are using more gas than most other vehicles. The more SUV's we have, an even lower supply of gasoline exists. Do you know who's making money on this? The rich!!!!! They just keep getting richer and we let them. It's a big circle!!!!

Not only can I not afford the gas prices, but I can't afford groceries either at this rate. Prices go up 10 - 15% a year. What about salaries? 3% if we are lucky!!