Damn, I won't be buying GTR afterall - 2

Old February 15th 05, 04:32 PM
Andi Cole

Default Damn, I won't be buying GTR afterall - 2

Crikey the original post must be getting near a record for responses, it's
huge. And all this from a newsgroup that's been really sleepy recently.

--
Andi.

Remove only one zero to reply

Old February 15th 05, 08:47 PM
Juan Vizoso

"Andi Cole" > wrote in message
> Crikey the original post must be getting near a record for responses, it's
> huge. And all this from a newsgroup that's been really sleepy recently.
>
> --
> Andi.
>
> Remove only one zero to reply

I understand the gripe about starforce... Protection systems always are
touchy subject.. especially when .. etc .. you know the score.. Most people
have
disk imaging software installed of one sort or another .. again for various
motives..
So I just thought that back in the OLD days of copy protection they gave
you some spectacles..
and you had to press your face to the screen.. the electrons coming from the
screen .. probably making you bald..
squinting to see whatever letters or numbers are eye strainingly flickering
on the screen..
and type in the code ..get it wrong ..try again.... well maybe that was
more fun ..every time you ran it?
Maybe the *** guys could have gone retro .. Not sure if I'm Glad? jv

Old February 15th 05, 08:53 PM
Darus

LOL! I hadn't thought about that type of "protection" in a long time.
Forgot all about it.

Old February 16th 05, 12:02 AM
Jon

anyone remember I think it was the Grand Prix Unlimited game by Accolade?!
They had this weird circular disc thing compromising of 3 circles of card,
bigger diameter for each.. pin through the middle.. and little window holes
around the edges?... something like that.. and you had to line up a driver,
track and something else and type in the code that appeared through the
relevant hole.

think ive explained that roughly.. basically meant there were probably
50-200 codes(?), and maybe they rotated the codes a little so each disc
would only work with 1 in 6 copies of the game or such...

that was pretty cool, probably still got the thing somewhere!

-jon

oups.com...

Old February 16th 05, 01:40 AM
Dave Erb

Hehe! I've got that one lying around in a box too somewhere in the house.
The code wheel was a pain to drag out every time I wanted to play the game .
Of course that was the days of DOS so pretty much everything I wanted to do
on the PC required some sort of involved start up. Thank heavens I don't
have to f*** around trying to free up a couple of extra kb of EMS memory so
I can play the latest and greatest flight/race/space/ship sim.

Remember the track builder in GPU? It was like snapping together slot car
track pieces and after you had the track built you could decorate it with
cheesy little signs and trees. Those were the days!

Dave

Old February 16th 05, 01:50 AM
John DiFool

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:40:00 -0500, "Dave Erb"
> wrote:

>Hehe! I've got that one lying around in a box too somewhere in the house.
>The code wheel was a pain to drag out every time I wanted to play the game .
>Of course that was the days of DOS so pretty much everything I wanted to do
>on the PC required some sort of involved start up. Thank heavens I don't
>have to f*** around trying to free up a couple of extra kb of EMS memory so
>I can play the latest and greatest flight/race/space/ship sim.
>
>Remember the track builder in GPU? It was like snapping together slot car
>track pieces and after you had the track built you could decorate it with
>cheesy little signs and trees. Those were the days!
>
>Dave

Does anyone remember dongles? Never used one for a racing game but
they were all the rage about 15 years ago...

Old February 16th 05, 01:56 AM
Dave Henrie

John DiFool > wrote in
:

> Does anyone remember dongles? Never used one for a racing game but
> they were all the rage about 15 years ago...

dongles got lost, pins got bent...not an elegant solution.

dh
Old February 16th 05, 02:23 PM
Plowboy

Industry sofware stuff still uses dongles... hell my label making program
has one, the laptop to program the automated mechanisms (cant explain it) at
the plant has them for a couple different things. what really is wierd to
me, is that on one PC around here had 4 dongles for 4 softwares. of them 3
serial, and one on the parrallel port. they were plugged into each other on
the serial, I would have though this would cause problems with each others
dongle, but never did... hmmm.

John DiFool enlightened us with: