95 Neon Water in the oil....?

Old February 12th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
mike[_1_]

Default 95 Neon Water in the oil....?

I know that I am being extremely hopeful on this.

I checked the oil yesterday in my 95 Dodge Neon. Noticing that it was
a little low, I removed the oil cap, and noticed a creamy sludge on
the cap. (Kind of looks like the gear oil in the foot of an outboard
motor after a season of use.)

Now I know this is being really hopeful, but could this simply be
water/condensation in the oil?
The oil is a little over due for a change (Time, not mileage wise),
and with the odd weather we have had (cycling through from warm/wet to
very cold/dry), could this be condensation?
I am dreading that this is a head gasket issue, but was unable to
smell the sweat smell of anti-freeze when I checked the cap and rag I
used to clean it off.

Any ideas or things I can check to see if this is actually the head
gasket again, as it was changed to a bi-layer back in 97ish?

(BTW, the car is a Single cam, 5-speed, with just over 445,000km on
her.)

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Old February 12th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
maxpower

"mike" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I know that I am being extremely hopeful on this.
>
> I checked the oil yesterday in my 95 Dodge Neon. Noticing that it was
> a little low, I removed the oil cap, and noticed a creamy sludge on
> the cap. (Kind of looks like the gear oil in the foot of an outboard
> motor after a season of use.)
>
> Now I know this is being really hopeful, but could this simply be
> water/condensation in the oil?
> The oil is a little over due for a change (Time, not mileage wise),
> and with the odd weather we have had (cycling through from warm/wet to
> very cold/dry), could this be condensation?
> I am dreading that this is a head gasket issue, but was unable to
> smell the sweat smell of anti-freeze when I checked the cap and rag I
> used to clean it off.
>
> Any ideas or things I can check to see if this is actually the head
> gasket again, as it was changed to a bi-layer back in 97ish?
>
> (BTW, the car is a Single cam, 5-speed, with just over 445,000km on
> her.)
>
> Mike
> mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Mike, depending on how much it is will depend on a head gasket/head problem
or just a ventilation problem from a PCV or breather filter stopped up.
Pop the radiator cap and see if you have oil in there. If so......you got
problems.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old February 12th 07, 07:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
mike[_1_]

On Feb 12, 1:40 pm, "maxpower" > wrote:
> "mike" > wrote in message
>
> oups.com...
>

> > I know that I am being extremely hopeful on this.

> > I checked the oil yesterday in my 95 Dodge Neon. Noticing that it was
> > a little low, I removed the oil cap, and noticed a creamy sludge on
> > the cap. (Kind of looks like the gear oil in the foot of an outboard
> > motor after a season of use.)

> > Now I know this is being really hopeful, but could this simply be
> > water/condensation in the oil?
> > The oil is a little over due for a change (Time, not mileage wise),
> > and with the odd weather we have had (cycling through from warm/wet to
> > very cold/dry), could this be condensation?
> > I am dreading that this is a head gasket issue, but was unable to
> > smell the sweat smell of anti-freeze when I checked the cap and rag I
> > used to clean it off.

> > Any ideas or things I can check to see if this is actually the head
> > gasket again, as it was changed to a bi-layer back in 97ish?

> > (BTW, the car is a Single cam, 5-speed, with just over 445,000km on
> > her.)

> > Mike
> >mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

> Mike, depending on how much it is will depend on a head gasket/head problem
> or just a ventilation problem from a PCV or breather filter stopped up.
> Pop the radiator cap and see if you have oil in there. If so......you got
> problems.
>
> Glenn Beasley
> Chrysler Tech- Hide quoted text -

Thank you Glenn for the information.
I have a bad feeling that I have problems. I checked the oil cap
quickly at lunch, and saw that creamy white sluge again.
It has been less then 24 hours, and about 25km since I did a complete
oil change/flush, and it is already back.
>From what I am understood however, is normally, if a headgasket goes,

doesn't this sludge smell sweat?
I noticed that it kind of smells like 2-stroke exhaust.
I also noticed that when I check the dip-stick, the oil looks clean.

If it is the head gasket, any recommendations on a bandaid fix? I am
just looking to get by a couple more months, until I can do the work
in my un-heated garage. (At -30'C, I am not going to even think about
doing anything major on it.)

Mike

Old February 12th 07, 07:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Scrapper[_43_]

yes i'd say head gasket..sorry..good luck....

--
Scrapper
Scrapper's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=438443

http://www.automotiveforums.com

2001 Neon Water Problem Randy Dodge 6 October 10th 06 07:44 PM
Can a surfactant* ( in water in radiator ) noticeably cool engine, if water temprtre is just 70°C ? TE Cheah Technology 5 September 8th 05 10:40 AM
1998 neon dodge..engine shutdown & anitifreeze/water leaked out durbert Dodge 1 June 13th 05 10:38 PM
Where do I find, the engine block water petcock to drain the engineof water??? DPost Ford Explorer 1 June 11th 05 11:36 PM
Where do I find the engine block water petcock to drain the engineof water??? DPost Ford Explorer 3 June 10th 05 12:32 AM