Dodge Caliber / Jeep Compass Opinions

Old December 4th 06, 08:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

Default Dodge Caliber / Jeep Compass Opinions

"Steve B." > wrote in message
> On Sat, 2 Dec 2006 01:31:20 -0800, "Ted Mittelstaedt"
> > wrote:
> >
> >It has nothing to do with that. I kind of wonder if you have ever bought
> >a used car you don't think like the typical used car buyer.
> >
> >A used car buyer is going to prefer a manual since manuals are simpler
> >and have less to go wrong, and when they do go wrong, they are
> >less expensive to fix.
> >
> >Ted
> >

> A very small percentage of people still want to change gears.

True for most car models. Not true for offroad or economy
vehicles.

> Doesn't
> matter if they are buying new or used.

Not true. But, my statement earlier was too simplistic anyway, just as
yours is,
so I'll clarify it.

> Hell, nobody under the age of
> 40 even knows how to change gears anymore. If you are buying for
> resale get the CVT.

If your NOT buying for resale, get whatever you want. But, if you are,
what matters is WHEN you are going to sell it.

If your going to sell it in 2 years then Steve is probably right, people
will
go for the CVT. But if your going to sell it in 10 years that's a different
story. Used vehicle buyers of 10 year old vehicles are going to go for
the most reliable vehicle that somewhat matches what they are looking
for, and a simpler transmission is worth more.

Ted

Old December 5th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Joe[_3_]

"Ted Mittelstaedt" > wrote in message

>> Hell, nobody under the age of
>> 40 even knows how to change gears anymore. If you are buying for
>> resale get the CVT.

I think you meant to say nobody over 40 - baby boomers didn't shift gears.

> If your NOT buying for resale, get whatever you want. But, if you are,
> what matters is WHEN you are going to sell it.
>
> If your going to sell it in 2 years then Steve is probably right, people
> will
> go for the CVT. But if your going to sell it in 10 years that's a
> different
> story. Used vehicle buyers of 10 year old vehicles are going to go for
> the most reliable vehicle that somewhat matches what they are looking
> for, and a simpler transmission is worth more.

That preference might be true, but there's no reason to speculate about
whether there's any value there. I would certainly trust somebody like NADA
on this question. I wouldn't even ask it on usenet. Why listen to mindless
crap when data are available? It just doesn't make sense.

Anyway, the automotive press has been saying that the CVT is not very
likable.. You (OP) will need to really drive it and see just how good/awful
it is. That'll matter too, a lot. When you go to resell people will be more
aware of all the flaws.

Old December 5th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
who

In article >,
Steve B. > wrote:

> A very small percentage of people still want to change gears. Doesn't
> matter if they are buying new or used. Hell, nobody under the age of
> 40 even knows how to change gears anymore. If you are buying for
> resale get the CVT.

I agree.
Old December 6th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
phreak

I like the Compass over the Patriot but both vehicles need a decent
turbo diesel or even (gasp!) the 2.7 v6 mated to the CVT and the
uprated 4x4 system/suspension with the whole drivetrain tuned for
performance.

No one is going to take that platform seriously until it can compete on
the road rallye circuit.

Old December 7th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
mike[_1_]

who wrote:
> In article >,
> Steve B. > wrote:
>
> > A very small percentage of people still want to change gears. Doesn't
> > matter if they are buying new or used. Hell, nobody under the age of
> > 40 even knows how to change gears anymore. If you are buying for
> > resale get the CVT.

> I agree.

I would tend to disagree with this statement.
This may depend on your location, but I have noticed that the majority
of people ages 18 - 30 would rather a manual transmission. The major
factors for this is fuel savings and performance.
I do not understand however, how the CVT transmission can be beat by
the manual 5 speed. In theory, the CVT, if designed and configured
correctly, should be better on fuel, and still out perform a manual.
There is always 100% power to the road when accelerating (no pause
between gears), and the computer can maintain optimal RPM/Gear ratio
for either best performance or fuel economy.

I would love to see this transmission in a SRT4 Neon environment. With
a good computer program, this would be a fast car, and still get good
gas mileage.

This is just my thoughts.

Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

Old December 7th 06, 10:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
mike[_1_]

phreak wrote:
> I like the Compass over the Patriot but both vehicles need a decent
> turbo diesel or even (gasp!) the 2.7 v6 mated to the CVT and the
> uprated 4x4 system/suspension with the whole drivetrain tuned for
> performance.
>
> No one is going to take that platform seriously until it can compete on
> the road rallye circuit.

I would think that maybe the 2.4l SRT4 engine, but the engine size may
lack on the torque needed for the much heavier body.
Mike

Old December 8th 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve[_1_]

mike wrote:

> who wrote:
>
>>In article >,
>> Steve B. > wrote:
>>

>>>A very small percentage of people still want to change gears. Doesn't
>>>matter if they are buying new or used. Hell, nobody under the age of
>>>40 even knows how to change gears anymore. If you are buying for
>>>resale get the CVT.

>>I agree.

> I would tend to disagree with this statement.
> This may depend on your location, but I have noticed that the majority
> of people ages 18 - 30 would rather a manual transmission.

I literally can't think of any person I know under the age of 35 who
owns a manual transmission car. I love driving manuals, but I don't even
own one any more.

>The major
> factors for this is fuel savings and performance.

Most 4- and 5-speed conventional automatics ALREADY get better gas
mileage than a manual 5-speed or 6-speed in the same vehicle with the
same gearing, so a CVT should be better still. When the computer
controls the shifts, EVERYTHING can be optimized, unlike when the driver
short-shifts or long-shifts and the engine management system has to play
along. Back in the pre-electronic days, a good driver could ALWAYS get
better mileage out of a manual transmission, but those days ended in the
late 80s and early 90s.

Old December 9th 06, 06:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Doug

On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 17:22:16 -0600, Steve > wrote:

>mike wrote:
>
>> who wrote:

>>>I agree.

>> I would tend to disagree with this statement.
>> This may depend on your location, but I have noticed that the majority
>> of people ages 18 - 30 would rather a manual transmission.

>I literally can't think of any person I know under the age of 35 who
>owns a manual transmission car. I love driving manuals, but I don't even
>own one any more.
>
>>The major
>> factors for this is fuel savings and performance.

>Most 4- and 5-speed conventional automatics ALREADY get better gas
>mileage than a manual 5-speed or 6-speed in the same vehicle with the
>same gearing, so a CVT should be better still. When the computer
>controls the shifts, EVERYTHING can be optimized, unlike when the driver
>short-shifts or long-shifts and the engine management system has to play
>along. Back in the pre-electronic days, a good driver could ALWAYS get
>better mileage out of a manual transmission, but those days ended in the
>late 80s and early 90s.

If the above is the case, why do EPA mileage stickers on new cars
almost always show a 1 to 2 MPG advantage for the car with a manual
transmission?

Doug

Old January 19th 07, 01:46 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
mike[_1_]

Being under 35, I would have to disagree with you steve. This may be
all depend on where you live too. I know that in most Canadian Cities I
have lived in (or have friends in), alot of the people I know would
prefer a manual transmission. Most settle with a auto for one of two
reasons (both of which I am guilty of);
1. Take what you can get. Needed a car, got a good deal on an auto.
2. Have to pre-order the car, and wait approx. 8 weeks for it to
arrive. (manual transmission is a special order)

This is just my 2cents.
Mike
mlawrenc(at)gmail.com

opinions on Caliber cosza Chrysler 0 October 13th 06 02:33 PM
Dodge Caliber Art Chrysler 30 June 21st 06 01:35 AM
Jeep VS others Elliot Westcott Chrysler 64 December 19th 04 02:22 PM
Opinions on Jeep Cherokee [email protected] 4x4 7 September 7th 04 06:13 AM