3 speed Dodge Ram Van oil consumption

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old October 11th 04, 07:52 PM
AZGuy

On Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:27:15 GMT, "Nosey"
> wrote:

>>> ...and a non-tired engine will use no more oil at 3500 than at 1800.

>> Speaking from experience, you are wrong. I had a 350 that in normal
>> around town and commuting use would go 1000 miles on a quart. But if
>> I ran it on a high speed trip, even for only 200 miles (and assuming
>> it was probably already half a quart low to start) it would use nearly
>> another quart in that 200 miles. It was like that since I bought it
>> at 24,000 miles and it stayed exactly like that up till the time I
>> sold it at 124,000 miles.

>Read the comment again. He said a NON-TIRED engine.

It wasn't tired.

Using over a quart of
>oil every 200 highway miles is not an acceptable consumption rate, even by
>1967 standards. Your 350 engine had significant problems at 24,000 miles.
>This thing must have smoked like a freight train on the highway.

It neither smoked nor leaked. It just used quite a bit of oil, about
a quart every 400 (if you read my comments again you'll see that's
what it adds up to) when running long distances at 75 mph..

It sounds
>like you had the exact same problem outlined in the original question. Using
>one quart of oil in 200 highway miles adds up to using 4 quarts in 800
>miles. I suck at math and even I could figure that one out.

Yup, but as my post said, it was about a half quart used on the trip,
not the entire quart.

In any case, I think you are missing the point I was putting forth,
which is that it's possible for an engine with nothing wrong (other
then using more oil then is typical) with it to burn that much oil and
not smoke. I put 100,000 additional miles on mine and it never
changed in how it performed and always ran like a top, it just used
more oil then it should. Oil is a heck of a lot cheaper then an
engine rebuild that will do nothing but save you the cost of a quart
of oil a month. Would you spend $2000-3000 to rebuild an engine that
didn't foul it's plugs or fail emissions or do anything bad but use a
little too much oil???? Maybe you would. I certainly wouldn't.
--
Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the
establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . .
Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of
the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order
to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House
of Representatives, August 17, 1789