The 6-cyl Mustang is a dog

Old July 6th 05, 07:52 PM
2.3Sleeper

"RichA" > wrote in message
> On 5 Jul 2005 17:39:30 -0700, wrote:
>
> >RichA wrote:
> >> Terrible performance for a six in this day
> >> and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
> >> the Japanese route and provide real power
> >> (I don't even believe the current rating for the
> >> 6 at all) only to the V8.

> >Rich,
> >
> >The 6 delivers performance comparable to early the 5-ohs cars of 20
> >years ago, and the early 4.6 cars. Low 90 mph trap speeds for a base
> >model that retail for under $20Gs is pretty damn good.
> >
> >If you're not satisfied with that answer, then realize the sales of all
> >those less horsepowered, lower cost, 6-cylinders are helping finance
> >the V8s we all want to own.
> >

> The V6 in Canada is $23k
> The V8 in Canada is $36k.
>
> It's not subsidizing anything. Lets be realistic here; The Ford
> Mustang uses old, long paid-for technology. It's practically the only
> car you can "update" from time to time with minimal cost, especially
> the engines. Cubic inches and not technology drives it's power, so
> the idea that there is some cost involved such as would be the cost to
> develop a 3L Acura V6 putting out 270hp is a bit silly.
> -Rich

It is far from being old, long paid-for technology. This is not your dad's
push-rod motor anymore.

Don Manning

Old July 7th 05, 07:16 AM
ZombyWoof

On Tue, 05 Jul 2005 00:04:45 -0400, RichA > wrote:

>Terrible performance for a six in this day
>and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
>the Japanese route and provide real power
>(I don't even believe the current rating for the
>6 at all) only to the V8.
>-Rich

Which Japanese Manufacturer & Model has a higher rated (HP&TQ) then
the base Mustang at the same price point?
--

Please Don't Steal - The Government Hates Competition

ZommbyWoof
(take the dogs when replying via e-mail)
Old July 7th 05, 03:36 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

RichA wrote:
> Terrible performance for a six in this day
> and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
> the Japanese route and provide real power
> (I don't even believe the current rating for the
> 6 at all) only to the V8.
> -Rich

I think you're missing the whole point of what the Mustang is supposed
to be if you think it should be competing with a Japanese FWD car. As
others have said, what other car offers as much hp and TORQUE in a RWD
package at the Mustang's price.
Old July 7th 05, 11:18 PM
Ritz

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> RichA wrote:
>
>> Terrible performance for a six in this day
>> and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
>> the Japanese route and provide real power (I don't even believe the
>> current rating for the
>> 6 at all) only to the V8.
>> -Rich

> I think you're missing the whole point of what the Mustang is supposed
> to be if you think it should be competing with a Japanese FWD car. As
> others have said, what other car offers as much hp and TORQUE in a RWD
> package at the Mustang's price.

There really isn't one with a base price anywhere close to the Mustang
(just a tad over US$19k). If you want something with more torque and
more power, it's not that big a deal (and still not that expensive when
you compare it to any Japanese car with similar power/torque numbers) to
slap a supercharger on the 3.8L. For $6-7k more than the Mustang you
could get something like the base Subaru WRX and have 20hp more than the
Mustang, but 20+ ft/lbs less torque. Supercharge the 3.8 and you're at
275hp and 285 ft/lbs and still a few grand cheaper than the Subaru.

For import sedan fun, I'm actually partial to the Audi 2.7L twin turbo.
With a cheap chip upgrade, that's good for 320hp and 380 ft/lbs of
torque. In my big heavy A6 w/6sp, I routinely smoke kids in Mustang
GTs. All that torque + all wheel drive is a wonderful thing. Of
course, that's a lot more expensive than a Mustang, but it just shows
that forced induction + a V6 can be a real stump puller if set up properly.

Cheers,

Old July 7th 05, 11:29 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

Ritz wrote:
> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>
>> RichA wrote:
>>
>>> Terrible performance for a six in this day
>>> and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
>>> the Japanese route and provide real power (I don't even believe the
>>> current rating for the
>>> 6 at all) only to the V8.
>>> -Rich

>> I think you're missing the whole point of what the Mustang is supposed
>> to be if you think it should be competing with a Japanese FWD car. As
>> others have said, what other car offers as much hp and TORQUE in a RWD
>> package at the Mustang's price.

> There really isn't one with a base price anywhere close to the Mustang
> (just a tad over US$19k). If you want something with more torque and
> more power, it's not that big a deal (and still not that expensive when
> you compare it to any Japanese car with similar power/torque numbers) to
> slap a supercharger on the 3.8L. For $6-7k more than the Mustang you
> could get something like the base Subaru WRX and have 20hp more than the
> Mustang, but 20+ ft/lbs less torque. Supercharge the 3.8 and you're at
> 275hp and 285 ft/lbs and still a few grand cheaper than the Subaru.

The new Mustangs have a 4.0L SOHC V-6 that makes 210 hp and around 240
ft-lbs of torque. Install a blower and it will make 300+ rwhp and 350+
rwtq. Plus for $6k-$7k more you can get a Mutang GT with 300+ hp.

> For import sedan fun, I'm actually partial to the Audi 2.7L twin turbo.
> With a cheap chip upgrade, that's good for 320hp and 380 ft/lbs of
> torque. In my big heavy A6 w/6sp, I routinely smoke kids in Mustang
> GTs. All that torque + all wheel drive is a wonderful thing. Of
> course, that's a lot more expensive than a Mustang, but it just shows
> that forced induction + a V6 can be a real stump puller if set up properly.

Nothing beats a factory engine built for forced induction to squeeze out
cheap hp/tq.
Old July 7th 05, 11:53 PM
Ritz

Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
> The new Mustangs have a 4.0L SOHC V-6 that makes 210 hp and around 240
> ft-lbs of torque. Install a blower and it will make 300+ rwhp and 350+
> rwtq. Plus for $6k-$7k more you can get a Mutang GT with 300+ hp.

Vortech claims 65hp gain and 44ft/lbs. And that's at the crank. I
haven't been able to find any numbers that jibe with your numbers above.
I doubt you could boost a stock engine that much without other
(expensive) work to the internals and fuel system.

>> For import sedan fun, I'm actually partial to the Audi 2.7L twin
>> turbo. With a cheap chip upgrade, that's good for 320hp and 380
>> ft/lbs of torque. In my big heavy A6 w/6sp, I routinely smoke kids in
>> Mustang GTs. All that torque + all wheel drive is a wonderful thing.
>> Of course, that's a lot more expensive than a Mustang, but it just
>> shows that forced induction + a V6 can be a real stump puller if set
>> up properly.

> Nothing beats a factory engine built for forced induction to squeeze out
> cheap hp/tq.

Nope. 8-)

Cheers,
Old July 8th 05, 01:55 AM

Nice car! Even in the looks department I like it.

I'll happily line up against your modded A6 at the drag strip though
=).. in a Mustang GT that looks like the rest you've "smoked". It's a
1998 Ford Mustang GT... one or two mods. FRPP 3.73 gears, Flowmaster
exhaust running dumps, cold air intake (pfff...), subframe connectors,
wider rear tires (255/60R-15)... and a Zex dry nitrous kit (75 shot).
On a dyno it managed (bottle pressure 1200psi) 273rwhp and 370rwtq
(which equates to roughly 314hp & 426 ft-lb torque at crank). I was
happy with the results. Car weighs 3,250lbs factory... 3,470lbs roughly
with me driving it. When just piddling around on the streets it's been
more than enough to tear into a "factory" Camaro SS & way more than
enough to tear into a stock or near-stock Camaro z28.

Ford did pretty good on these little 281's... 75 shot on the stock
motor & no problems. There's an 03 SVT Cobra my buddy Tommy owns... he
just recently put an NX wet kit on it (75 shot) after the pulley & chip
upgrade.. cold air intake, etc.. putting out 545rwhp and 600rwtq... he
runs low 11's all day long... but I'm pretty sure if he would learn how
to launch he'd be in the 10's =). Obviously.. motors built from the
factory for F/I devour all =).

-Mike

Old July 8th 05, 02:19 AM
Michael Johnson, PE

Ritz wrote:
> Michael Johnson, PE wrote:
>
>> The new Mustangs have a 4.0L SOHC V-6 that makes 210 hp and around 240
>> ft-lbs of torque. Install a blower and it will make 300+ rwhp and
>> 350+ rwtq. Plus for $6k-$7k more you can get a Mutang GT with 300+ hp.

> Vortech claims 65hp gain and 44ft/lbs. And that's at the crank. I
> haven't been able to find any numbers that jibe with your numbers above.
> I doubt you could boost a stock engine that much without other
> (expensive) work to the internals and fuel system.

IMHO, it could do it. I've run 16 psi on a 150K stock short block 302.
That 65 hp claim from Vortech is probably for 6 psi of boost. No self
respecting blower fan runs less than 9 psi.

Old July 8th 05, 02:45 AM
Ritz

> Nice car! Even in the looks department I like it.

Next step is upgrading the turbos, fuel system and intercoolers. That
should get me about 420hp and a bit over 400 ft/lbs of torque (at the
rear wheels). That's pretty close to what you'd get from a recent
vintage viper.....cept you've got AWD. 8-) You've now got a "family
sedan" with lots of room, creature comforts, that can run low 12's with
a trunk full of groceries and child seats in the back. 8-) And you can
still take it out and play when it rains or snows. Try that with a
Mustang! 8-)

I'm still looking for a way to utilize my 428cj engine that I took out
of a wrecked '70 torino. I suspect it will eventually wind up in a
cobra kit or a GT-500 lookalike.

> I'll happily line up against your modded A6 at the drag strip though
> =).. in a Mustang GT that looks like the rest you've "smoked". It's a
> 1998 Ford Mustang GT... one or two mods. FRPP 3.73 gears, Flowmaster
> exhaust running dumps, cold air intake (pfff...), subframe connectors,
> wider rear tires (255/60R-15)... and a Zex dry nitrous kit (75 shot).
> On a dyno it managed (bottle pressure 1200psi) 273rwhp and 370rwtq
> (which equates to roughly 314hp & 426 ft-lb torque at crank). I was
> happy with the results. Car weighs 3,250lbs factory... 3,470lbs roughly
> with me driving it. When just piddling around on the streets it's been
> more than enough to tear into a "factory" Camaro SS & way more than
> enough to tear into a stock or near-stock Camaro z28.

Well, the Audi isn't really designed to be a "dragster." I suspect it
would mop you up on a rally course, though. 8-) In real life...on the
street, it's a very fast car....and not just in a straight line.

Cheers,