1-Series - run-flat tyres

Old September 18th 04, 01:58 PM
Richard Townsend

Default 1-Series - run-flat tyres

I went for a test drive in a 1-Series today and was quite pleasantly
surprised. Once behind the wheel I forgot about its strange appearance and
started to appreciate its excellent driving qualities.

Anyway, the question I have is about the run-flat tyres. I understand that
if you get a puncture you can drive for a certain number of miles on a flat
tyre. But afterwards, can the tyre then be repaired or must they always be
replaced?

Having had 3 punctures in the last 10 months makes me a bit wary.

--
Richard
Old September 18th 04, 02:59 PM
Fred W.

"Richard Townsend" > wrote in message
> I went for a test drive in a 1-Series today and was quite pleasantly
> surprised. Once behind the wheel I forgot about its strange appearance and
> started to appreciate its excellent driving qualities.
>
> Anyway, the question I have is about the run-flat tyres. I understand that
> if you get a puncture you can drive for a certain number of miles on a

flat
> tyre. But afterwards, can the tyre then be repaired or must they always be
> replaced?
>
> Having had 3 punctures in the last 10 months makes me a bit wary.

Not sure I can answer your question, but I'm sure you can find your answer
bu googling "run flat technology".

Most of the bad press I have heard about these tires is they do not ride as
well as the regular ones. It is supposedly much stiffer and overall tire
performance is worse. I'd bet that you could get them changed at the
dealership should you opt to. You'd have to figure out some sort of spare
tire scheme (you probably don't get one in the 1'er since you it comes
fitted with the run flats) but you may well be happier in the long run.

Just another option to consider

-Fred W

Old September 18th 04, 04:57 PM
Alex P

"Richard Townsend" > wrote in message
>I went for a test drive in a 1-Series today and was quite pleasantly
> surprised. Once behind the wheel I forgot about its strange appearance and
> started to appreciate its excellent driving qualities.
>
> Anyway, the question I have is about the run-flat tyres. I understand that
> if you get a puncture you can drive for a certain number of miles on a
> flat
> tyre. But afterwards, can the tyre then be repaired or must they always be
> replaced?
>
> Having had 3 punctures in the last 10 months makes me a bit wary.
>
> --
> Richard

The idea is that you have a puncture, computer tells you that tyre is
deflated, no big drama, you stop and replace it with spare one.
In that case run-flat can be repaired.

In emergency, if you continue driving, tyre will not
disintegrate due to heat but kevlar sidewall will be
damaged and you must get new tyre.

Alex
530d run-flat

Old September 18th 04, 06:10 PM
Richard Townsend

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 17:57:21 +0200, Alex P wrote:

> The idea is that you have a puncture, computer tells you that tyre is
> deflated, no big drama, you stop and replace it with spare one.
> In that case run-flat can be repaired.
>
> In emergency, if you continue driving, tyre will not
> disintegrate due to heat but kevlar sidewall will be
> damaged and you must get new tyre.
>
> Alex
> 530d run-flat

Thanks Alex. However, I don't think the 1-Series has any spare (not even
space-saver type) so you have to continue until you can get it replaced...

--
Richard
Old September 19th 04, 10:40 AM
pipex mail

I have a 535d ordered with run flats
no spare wheel no wheelbrace no jack as standard however for £70 you can get
a jack,brace and temporary wheel
i think this is correct and you could possible do the same for the 1 series

Old September 20th 04, 02:39 PM
pipex mail

it must be to do with the various specs because my neighbour has a new 5530d
2 weeks old uk spec and it has no spare wheel only a support divider where
the wheel would have gone to avoid the boot floor from folding into the
spare wheel space very interesting as i would like a spare as standard

Old September 20th 04, 02:58 PM
the-man-himself

thank you for advise much appreciated

Old September 20th 04, 06:04 PM
Dori A Schmetterling

Welcome.

DAS
---

Old October 7th 04, 04:39 PM
BluDog

On Sat, 18 Sep 2004 13:58:59 +0100, Richard Townsend >
wrote:

>I went for a test drive in a 1-Series today and was quite pleasantly
>surprised. Once behind the wheel I forgot about its strange appearance and
>started to appreciate its excellent driving qualities.
>
>Anyway, the question I have is about the run-flat tyres. I understand that
>if you get a puncture you can drive for a certain number of miles on a flat
>tyre. But afterwards, can the tyre then be repaired or must they always be
>replaced?
>
>Having had 3 punctures in the last 10 months makes me a bit wary.

For £195 you can insure the tyres with the BM dealer against all
damage other than wear and tear, as a single tyre will cost that it's
worth it if you have a history!

I opted for the insurance on my 1.

Cheers

Blu

A4 tyres Glenn Richards Audi 45 December 28th 04 06:43 PM
Tyres again Tony Rickard Alfa Romeo 8 December 1st 04 10:17 PM
New tyres best on rear wheels? Alex Audi 5 August 23rd 04 05:59 AM
Tyres: Best foot forward? or back? Buzzardous Cross Alfa Romeo 38 August 21st 04 10:31 PM
Workshop manual Spider series 4 Alfaspider Alfa Romeo 0 June 17th 04 10:27 PM