Jimmy turn signal problem not yet covered..

Old December 20th 05, 03:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default Jimmy turn signal problem not yet covered..

I removed the dash on my '96 Jimmy to fix a heating problem.. replaced
the dash and all the plugs and whatnot, the thing started right up and
no engine light.. all the lights work and windows etcetera, however..

with key off turning on the lights displays the turn signal arrows on
(both of them, not flashing).. the side marker lights aren't lit, but
the turn signals on the bumper are..

with the key on same thing.. if the lights aren't on, no arrows, when
the lights are on both arrows are lit.. when you turn on the turn
signal (either way), the proper arrows blinks, but the marker light
blinks instead of the turn signal light (I think they're supposed to
both blink alternating)..

there is one plug (male) that has no corresponging plug *anywhere* that
I can find that is under the dash on the left of the steering column, 6
pins and fastened to a metal bracket. I played around with the
voltmeter on the pins, blew the parking lights fuse once, and am now
convinced that something goes in there..

does anyone know what or where?

lesson learned: don't take it all apart, leave it for a month, then
expect things to go smoothly when you put it back together.

Old December 22nd 05, 07:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Nobody sticking their necks out for this one, so I will try to be of
assistence. I've yet to look at the schematics for this one, however,
the circuitry involving the indicator lights are being either shorted
to ground, or shorted voltage. Therfore, I'd be looking for an
inadvertant connection, rather than connectors that are not connected
to something. I've seen connectors on many vehicles that aren't
connected (options that weren't purchased with the vehicle.) Hopefully
it's accessible enough where u might try reseating the main connector
to the dash, as it might be off just enough to make cross-connection.
As far as the unplugged connector, how many wires are on it, and colors
also? You might have already tried these things to no avail, but have
noticed your entry go unresponded for some time. Hope it helps. Jim

Old December 22nd 05, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I'll take a guess too.

I would guess you have lost the ground for the running lights so they
are stealing it through the signal light bases. Usually the running
lights use a wire in the harness for ground and the signals use the
fixture to the body for ground.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Aug./05 http://www.imagestation.com/album/in...?id=2120343242

Old December 22nd 05, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

If a circuit loses its ground, how could it be possible for them to
light? With the switch off, it very well should be losing its ground
(or losing its voltage, whatever the case may be.)

Old December 22nd 05, 11:21 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

The bulbs have two filaments in them. If the fixture loses the direct
body ground for the signal/brakes, then the brake and signals will
ground through the running light filament making the light dim because
it is using two filaments.

If the running lights lose their wiring harness ground, they will try to
steal it through the brake/signal light filaments so you get the arrows
on the dash lighting up too as well as a dim signal/running filament
light.

Old December 23rd 05, 01:01 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

The only way they could be stealing ground is thru a partial short:
therefore, in essence, there is actually "no" loss of ground. I know
Mike knows his stuff by his longevity with this group. Its my opinion
that by resolving the dash indicator issue first, aside from the marker
/ signal lamp issue, one will resolve the problem altogether. Key-on
engine off, light switch on, blinkers off, turn indicators on the dash
should not be on. This being troulbleshot first for a partial short, I
think will resolve the issue of the entire scenario. Loss of ground/
loss of connectivity is not the issue. This prob is difficult and while
at first disagreeing with Mike, and after contemplating his answer, I
dont think we disagree in electrical theory, but I think its easier to
troubleshoot starting one prob at a time rather than say invloving
markers,sidelights, turn signals and lights, alltogether. There's more
than plenty to troulbleshoot with simply the lights on while signal
indicators are not supposed to be lit. Jim

Old December 23rd 05, 01:48 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

The other bulb filaments act like the short.

What I posted happens all the time in Jeeps with their GM light circuit
wiring.

I have one burned out running light and the arrow on the dash lit up I
have to chase down in our Cherokee. I know mine is out by the light,
his is a dash ground or headlight ground on wrong or not on likely.

Mike

Old December 23rd 05, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

This is a fail safe used to notify the driver that a marker is out?
This is very nice to know and must admit that I was not aware of it.
You've encouraged me to obtain the schematics and check this further.
If your listening Keef, check and recheck those connections under the
dash! Thanx for the nice tidbit Mike, Regards, Jim

Old December 23rd 05, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

My marker is out because the fixture is rotted. I believe something in
the wiring or bulb needs to be broken or disconnected before the dash
arrow comes on with the headlight switch.

In my specific case, I believe the ground for the running light has
corroded away so it's stealing it's ground through the signal light
filaments. The signal light has a filament at the bulb and in series
another one in the dash arrow. That is why the arrow on the dash is lit
up.

Old December 24th 05, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

I've got a 93 firebird with a dash arrow on. Now I know why! Very
cool!Am still curious as to the physical nature of this wiring setup,
and exactly how it "steals," the ground from the arrows when the
bulb/or wiring on the marker become disabled. Draw me a picture Mike.
Merry Christmas, Jim

turn signal ballinjefe22 Ford Explorer 3 December 8th 05 10:15 PM
Left LoBeam Out, Turn Signal Warning Signal On Ted Borck Jeep 5 November 25th 05 08:05 PM
Strange indicator (turn signal) problem on E34 Philip K BMW 2 November 3rd 05 06:43 PM
Turn signal [email protected] BMW 2 January 16th 05 11:04 PM
Accord blinker turn signal relay clicking FAST when not actuated DBarry Honda 1 January 6th 05 03:04 AM