car accelerates too slow even if I floor the gas pedal

Old February 18th 05, 05:30 PM
Charles

Default car accelerates too slow even if I floor the gas pedal

Hi the

My 96 Suzuki Esteem recently developed a very bad power loss. When it
is parked I have no problem to rev the engine to 3000-4000 rpm and
exhaust pipe doesn't seem to have restricted flow. However, when on
the road, especially on an upgrade, it struggles very bad to
accelerate. I don't think it is a transmission problem because the
engine rpm barely goes over 1000 even if I floor the gas pedal. The
car has 93K miles and is maintained regularly. The engine doesn't
smoke or use oil. Compression readings for the 4 cylinders a 170,
170, 170, 180 PSI, which are lower than the standard 199 but higher
than the service limit 154. I replaced the timing belt and aligned the
timing mark, changed fuel filter, changed fuel pressure regulator,
checked TPS and MAP sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires out to be
OK. What more should I check? BTW, there is no error code generated by
the Power Control Module. If I disconnect on of the sensors, the
"check engine" light comes on. But if I reconnect the sensor, the
"check engine" light will go off. Any help is highly appreciated.
Old February 18th 05, 05:45 PM
Mike Romain

Did it work 'before' you changed the timing belt?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old February 18th 05, 08:22 PM

No. It didn't.

Old February 18th 05, 08:23 PM

No. It didn't.

Old February 18th 05, 10:56 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Fri, 18 Feb 2005, Charles wrote:

> My 96 Suzuki Esteem recently developed a very bad power loss.

How could you tell...?

Perhaps its self-esteem has been damaged.
Old February 18th 05, 11:37 PM

You could be right

Old February 19th 05, 03:33 AM
sdlomi2

"Charles" > wrote in message
om...
> Hi the
>
> My 96 Suzuki Esteem recently developed a very bad power loss. When it
> is parked I have no problem to rev the engine to 3000-4000 rpm and
> exhaust pipe doesn't seem to have restricted flow. However, when on
> the road, especially on an upgrade, it struggles very bad to
> accelerate. I don't think it is a transmission problem because the
> engine rpm barely goes over 1000 even if I floor the gas pedal. The
> car has 93K miles and is maintained regularly. The engine doesn't
> smoke or use oil. Compression readings for the 4 cylinders a 170,
> 170, 170, 180 PSI, which are lower than the standard 199 but higher
> than the service limit 154. I replaced the timing belt and aligned the
> timing mark, changed fuel filter, changed fuel pressure regulator,
> checked TPS and MAP sensor, spark plugs, spark plug wires out to be
> OK. What more should I check? BTW, there is no error code generated by
> the Power Control Module. If I disconnect on of the sensors, the
> "check engine" light comes on. But if I reconnect the sensor, the
> "check engine" light will go off. Any help is highly appreciated.

As I remember, those little engines are quite responsive toward the weak
end of the spectrum when the timing is retarded even the least bit. This
can be accomplished (too retarded) in 2 ways: distributor timing and belt
timing. If the power disappeared after replacing the t/belt, still check
the dist. timing 1st, as it's easier; then check the belt to see if it's off
a notch. Either, when off in the retarded direction, produces a tremendous
hit on performance,
Be careful, tho', and don't get greedy by advancing dist-timing higher
than specs just 'cause it makes engine even more peppy, as it will soon burn
a hole in a piston!!
HTH & good luck, s

Old February 19th 05, 02:13 PM

Spud Demon wrote:
> (Charles) writes in article

> dated 18 Feb 2005
09:30:10 -0800:
> >My 96 Suzuki Esteem recently developed a very bad power loss. When

it
> >is parked I have no problem to rev the engine to 3000-4000 rpm and
> >exhaust pipe doesn't seem to have restricted flow. However, when on
> >the road, especially on an upgrade, it struggles very bad to
> >accelerate. I don't think it is a transmission problem because the
> >engine rpm barely goes over 1000 even if I floor the gas pedal.

> If the transmission is manual then attempting to accellerate at 1000

RPM
> falls under the category of "user error". You don't get any power

there.

> If it's automatic, the transmission isn't working right. It should

shift to
> a lower gear to keep the engine RPM reasonable for the amount of

power. In
> the old days I would have said "check the vacuum line going to the

tranny".

> On the highway when you're in top gear at reasonable RPMs, is there

still a
> power problem?
>
> -- spud_demon -at- thundermaker.net
> The above may not (yet) represent the opinions of my employer.

Sorry that I forgot to mention the car has a 4 speed automatic
transmission. All the shifting is controlled by the computer. Right now
when I try to take off from a standing still, the RPM barely goes over
1000rpm even if I floor the gas pedal. I used to have a Dodge Aries
whose auto transmission didn't have first gear. That car also had a
little problem accelerating from standing still but the symptom was
different. For the Dodge Aries I had to give gas slowly, otherwise the
car would shake. I could tell with no doubt that the engine was trying
to pull very hard. Once its speed went over 10MPH then it was ok. I
just don't feel the same way with the Suzuki engine.

Right now I can only drive it around the block so I can't tell if it
will be OK in high gear.

Question for People Who Slow Down and "Let Them In" Usual Suspect Driving 43 February 24th 05 10:27 PM
Slow wiper 2.0L 01 Jetta auto [email protected] VW water cooled 6 February 6th 05 08:11 PM
Since it's slow... Jan VW air cooled 5 November 4th 04 11:34 PM
VERY Slow Stevie Boy JH VW water cooled 4 September 28th 04 04:34 AM