Engine Shut down - 1996 Saturn

Old June 28th 04, 03:46 PM
ghp

Default Engine Shut down - 1996 Saturn

While driving the engine of my 1996 Saturn does shuts down, with no
advanced signs. The car will immediately restart when the starter in
engaged. Someone checked the computer but there were no fault codes
stored. Any ideas??

Thanks

Old June 28th 04, 06:38 PM
richard hornsby

No answer here, just more questions:

Which model? Auto or Manual? How many miles? Does the engine sputter
or cough before shutting down? Or does it act more like what you'd
expect if you turned the key to the 'off' position? Does this happen at
all speeds, ie on the highway? While cruising, accelerating, coming to
a stop, or idling? Do you notice a difference if it happens more often
if the engine is cold or hot? How often does this behavior occur? Once
a week? More?

-rj
98SL2

Old June 28th 04, 07:21 PM
ghp

96 SL2 4 Door Sedan, Auto, 110,000 miles

It acts as you would expect when you turn the key off, no sputter or
cough. Fast or slow, hot or cold it doesn't make any difference. It's
happened 2 times in the last week.

Old June 29th 04, 06:10 AM
Philip Nasadowski

In article
outautos.com>,
"ghp" > wrote:

> 96 SL2 4 Door Sedan, Auto, 110,000 miles
>
> It acts as you would expect when you turn the key off, no sputter or
> cough. Fast or slow, hot or cold it doesn't make any difference. It's
> happened 2 times in the last week.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and guess:

* Crank position sensor
* Ignition module

Both can do interesting things when they get flakey. But it sounds
ignition related to me...
Old June 29th 04, 01:47 PM
ghp

Thanks - it didn't shut down this morning but while driving the brake,
temp, and washer idiot lights started to blink. Do you think that's
related to the car shutting down?

Old July 1st 04, 09:21 PM
Tim Shoppa

"ghp" > wrote in message alkaboutautos.com>...
> Thanks - it didn't shut down this morning but while driving the brake,
> temp, and washer idiot lights started to blink. Do you think that's
> related to the car shutting down?

Loose ground wire between the battery and frame? (Or fuseblock, then to
frame?) On a Saturn isn't there another ground wire between frame
and engine? (Or am I mixing it up with my other car?)

Once you have multiple things blinking away at the same time, it's
good to start tightening and cleaning all those ground connections.

Tim.