Change oil ever *10,000* miles on my 2001 Audi A6???

Old December 21st 04, 02:18 PM
AudiBuyer

Default Change oil ever *10,000* miles on my 2001 Audi A6???

Just bought this beautiful used Audi A6. I love it!!!

I was surprised to read in the manual, though, that they recommend oil
changes every 10,000 miles. I am so used to doing it every 3000 miles.
Curious what people's thoughts are.

Also, I recall a great website regarding all things motor oil. Can
someone post the URL?

Old December 21st 04, 04:02 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, AudiBuyer wrote:

> Just bought this beautiful used Audi A6. I love it!!!
>
> I was surprised to read in the manual, though, that they recommend oil
> changes every 10,000 miles. I am so used to doing it every 3000 miles.
> Curious what people's thoughts are.

In Europe, they look upon the 5000km oil change as another example of
American waste. 16,000km oil changes are rather normal there. Of course,
they also have the oils to support it. So do we, but you won't find 'em on
the shelf at Wal-Mart, and they don't cost $2/qt.

www.bobistheoilguy.com

Old December 21st 04, 08:37 PM
Garner Miller

In article . com>,
AudiBuyer > wrote:

> I was surprised to read in the manual, though, that they recommend oil
> changes every 10,000 miles. I am so used to doing it every 3000 miles.
> Curious what people's thoughts are.

I've never changed my oil ever 3000 miles, nor have I ever owned a car
that recommended it in its owner's manual. The only people that think
I should do 3000-mile oil changes are the ones selling the oil change
service. See their motivation?

My PT Cruiser recommends a 7500-mile oil change interval for normal
driving. That's what I do. The Turbo version of that car specifies a
5000-mile interval -- turbocharged cars will typically have a shorter
oil interval. But it's all in the manual.

If you fit the manual's description of "severe duty," it will usually
specify a shorter interval.

In short, listen to the manual, not the oil salesman.

--
Garner R. Miller
Clifton Park, NY =USA=
Old December 21st 04, 09:17 PM
Byron

> Of course, they also have the oils to support it.
> So do we, but you won't find 'em on the shelf at
> Wal-Mart, and they don't cost $2/qt.

Actually I buy Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart. $19.96 for a
single 5 quart container.
Old December 21st 04, 11:31 PM
James

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, AudiBuyer wrote:
>
> > Just bought this beautiful used Audi A6. I love it!!!
> >
> > I was surprised to read in the manual, though, that they recommend oil
> > changes every 10,000 miles. I am so used to doing it every 3000 miles.
> > Curious what people's thoughts are.

> In Europe, they look upon the 5000km oil change as another example of
> American waste. 16,000km oil changes are rather normal there. Of course,
> they also have the oils to support it. So do we, but you won't find 'em on
> the shelf at Wal-Mart, and they don't cost $2/qt.

You can find Mobil 1 on the shelf at Wal-Mart. Mobil 1 is a "REAL" Full
Synthetic oil made from natural gas. Some synthetic oils are not "real"
synthetic, they are made from petroleum base.

Old December 21st 04, 11:45 PM
Thomas Tornblom

"AudiBuyer" > writes:

> Just bought this beautiful used Audi A6. I love it!!!
>
> I was surprised to read in the manual, though, that they recommend oil
> changes every 10,000 miles. I am so used to doing it every 3000 miles.
> Curious what people's thoughts are.
>
> Also, I recall a great website regarding all things motor oil. Can
> someone post the URL?

I had my 2001 A6 2.5 tdi serviced today. I'm doing the long life
service, which means that the engine management systems tell me when
to change oil. The previous oil change was 25000 km, or 15kmi +. That
requires specially approved 0W-30 oil. Depending on driving habits it
may run up to 30000 km between changes. Audi has some models that can
run up to 50000 km between changes.

10kmi is old stuff here in europe. Has been like that for at least ten
years.

3kmi sounds like the 60:s to me

Cheers,
Thomas (in Sweden)
Old December 21st 04, 11:50 PM
Huw

"AudiBuyer" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Just bought this beautiful used Audi A6. I love it!!!
>
> I was surprised to read in the manual, though, that they recommend oil
> changes every 10,000 miles. I am so used to doing it every 3000 miles.
> Curious what people's thoughts are.

You must be kidding? Every 10,000 miles? Surely not?
Most of their engines now run up to 20,000 miles with diesels up to 30,000.
So why would you even consider less than 10,000 miles between oil changes?

Huw

Old December 22nd 04, 12:09 AM
James C. Reeves

"Garner Miller" > wrote in message
> In article . com>,
> AudiBuyer > wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
> My PT Cruiser recommends a 7500-mile oil change interval for normal
> driving. That's what I do. The Turbo version of that car specifies a
> 5000-mile interval -- turbocharged cars will typically have a shorter
> oil interval. But it's all in the manual.

Better read Chrysler's definitions of "normal" vs. "severe"

> If you fit the manual's description of "severe duty," it will usually
> specify a shorter interval.

Yes and that is usually 3000-3850 miles.

Old December 22nd 04, 08:44 AM
Thomas Tornblom

Byron > writes:

> > Of course, they also have the oils to support it.
> > So do we, but you won't find 'em on the shelf at
> > Wal-Mart, and they don't cost $2/qt.

> Actually I buy Mobil 1 at Wal-Mart. $19.96 for a
> single 5 quart container.

That is not the same as Euro Mobil-1, where currently you're looking
at paying about 20 bux per liter, with the current dollar to euro rate.

The long-life oil they filled my car with yesterday was slightly short
of $25 per liter (~quart), and it takes 5.3 liters, or $130 for just
the oil :-/

Thomas
Old December 22nd 04, 01:52 PM
KG

Look for Mobil 1 0-40 European oil, yes you can find it at some Walmarts I have. But be careful
only some newer engine are designed for it's use.

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 11:02:42 -0500, "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote:

>On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, AudiBuyer wrote:
>
>> Just bought this beautiful used Audi A6. I love it!!!
>>
>> I was surprised to read in the manual, though, that they recommend oil
>> changes every 10,000 miles. I am so used to doing it every 3000 miles.
>> Curious what people's thoughts are.

>In Europe, they look upon the 5000km oil change as another example of
>American waste. 16,000km oil changes are rather normal there. Of course,
>they also have the oils to support it. So do we, but you won't find 'em on
>the shelf at Wal-Mart, and they don't cost $2/qt.
>
>> Also, I recall a great website regarding all things motor oil. Can
>> someone post the URL?

>www.bobistheoilguy.com

Thank You

A true believer in compassionate liberal anarchy.

To reply to this email please remove the AT
after the kgs in the reply to address as shown above.