Replacing Struts on a 1995 Olds Cutlass

Old December 21st 04, 02:43 AM

Default Replacing Struts on a 1995 Olds Cutlass

I have a 1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme that has 151,000 miles. I'd like to
get another two years out it since that is when my HELOC loan will be
paid off. The car sags on the LR wheel and overall does not ride that
well. Also, the ABS light comes on quite a bit whenever I turn in to a
driveway or anywhere where the road is not smooth. I guess the tires
are losing contact with the road. My tires have 70,000 miles on them
so I'm also looking at replacing the set. I went to Belle Tire here in
Michigan and they said that the both of the rear struts and mounts need
to be replaced. I was having them fix a flat at the time and they said
they could not check the front struts w/o putting it up on the hoist.
They gave me a price of $650 to replace all four struts, mounts, and to
do a four-wheel alignment. Price would be lower if they found the
front struts to be OK.

What do you think of the $650 quote on the strut work? I've never had
any type of suspension work done so I'm not sure what questions I
should be asking?

Thanks,
-Mike

Old December 21st 04, 05:17 AM
« Paul »

> I have a 1995 Olds Cutlass Supreme that has 151,000 miles. I'd like to
> get another two years out it since that is when my HELOC loan will be
> paid off. The car sags on the LR wheel and overall does not ride that
> well. Also, the ABS light comes on quite a bit whenever I turn in to a
> driveway or anywhere where the road is not smooth. I guess the tires
> are losing contact with the road. My tires have 70,000 miles on them
> so I'm also looking at replacing the set. I went to Belle Tire here in
> Michigan and they said that the both of the rear struts and mounts need
> to be replaced. I was having them fix a flat at the time and they said
> they could not check the front struts w/o putting it up on the hoist.
> They gave me a price of $650 to replace all four struts, mounts, and to
> do a four-wheel alignment. Price would be lower if they found the
> front struts to be OK.
>
> What do you think of the $650 quote on the strut work? I've never had
> any type of suspension work done so I'm not sure what questions I
> should be asking?
>
> Thanks,
> -Mike

Struts typically last about 65,000 miles, then they don't dampen
as well as they used to until one day they don't dampen at all.
That then causes other suspension parts to self destruct.
Bushings tend to go around 120k miles. $650 would be a reasonable
charge if that includes all parts and labor.
The ABS light could be somewhat related. Bad suspension parts tend
to greatly flex the sensor wires and break them.
Have the shop put an abs scanner on it to get the codes.
Your car may need one or more sensors or it could be a loose connection.
Old December 24th 04, 03:07 PM

If your car is really sagging that much, you probably need new springs
too. Replace them in pairs. Yes, price quoted is very reasonable. If
you want it done cheaper than do it yourself and then get it aligned.