What would cars cost if they left off the silly frills?

Old January 30th 05, 03:20 AM
Paul D. DeRocco

> "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote
>
> I think an automatic tranny is truly useful but power steering, brakes,
> and windows are a joke. Same with tinted glass and fancy paint jobs
> and a million other doodads like the warning light for the windshield
> washer fluid and turn signals emebedded in the side mirrors. No
> question to me but that it's a conspiracy. They add all these gadgets
> and make a 30% profit on each one. And more money when the damn things
> go bad .
>
> Most americans are not loonybirds who fall in love with cars. We jsut
> want a vehicle that gets us from A to B and there is no reason why a
> perfectly functional brand new car should cost over $5,000.

Troll.

Old January 30th 05, 03:37 AM
Arif Khokar

Jay Maynard wrote:

> On 2005-01-30, Bill the second > wrote:
>>I'm waiting for a hybrid that burns an renewable fuel (that's actually
>>renewable, not one that takes more energy to refine than it contains)

> I'm trying to figure out how you can have such a thing and not violate the
> second law of thermodynamics. Then again, I don't claim to be a chemist or
> physicist.

I'll be the first in line to get a patent on the perpetual motion machine
Old January 30th 05, 04:20 AM
Bill the second

"Jay Maynard" > wrote in message
. ..
> On 2005-01-30, Bill the second > wrote:
>> I'm waiting for a hybrid that burns an renewable fuel (that's actually
>> renewable, not one that takes more energy to refine than it contains)

> I'm trying to figure out how you can have such a thing and not violate the
> second law of thermodynamics. Then again, I don't claim to be a chemist or
> physicist.

I don't mean a perpetual motion machine.

More energy is put into processing alcohol than is avalible in the end
product for use in an automobile. I'm not counting energy the original plant
captured.

Old January 30th 05, 04:25 AM
Bill the second

"Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>Bill the second Jan 29, 10:02 am

>>Fool, at highway speeds (even 55MPH) the increased hit to fu*el
>>economy from
>>wind resistance from rolled down windows is higher than the *increased
>>hit to fuel economy driving with AC.

>Oh bs. That's just propaganda that the auto makers paid the media to
>spread so people would pay an extra $1000 to get that AC option. Why
>don't you think for yourself for a change.?

Are those like the commercials that show people with new "tars" not running
into things propaganda from the tar companies getting people to spend money
on a set of tars rather than pumping tar-in-a-can into their bald retreads?

Old January 30th 05, 04:25 AM
Comrade Mister Yamamoto

Garth Almgren wrote:
> Around 1/29/2005 4:39 PM, Comrade Mister Yamamoto wrote:
>
>> me wrote:
>>
>>> I'm sure a big wheel is even too much for the OP to handle ;^)
>>>

>> Get a Horse!

> If Judy treated a horse the way he alleges to treat his cars, the horse
> would be dead in a week.

Poor horsie

--
Comrade Mister "Charlton Heston is *MY* President!" Yamamoto
http://mryamamoto.50megs.com/
Old January 30th 05, 04:26 AM
Bill the second

"Paul D. DeRocco" > wrote in message
nk.net...
>> "Laura Bush murdered her boy friend" > wrote
>>
>> I think an automatic tranny is truly useful but power steering, brakes,
>> and windows are a joke. Same with tinted glass and fancy paint jobs
>> and a million other doodads like the warning light for the windshield
>> washer fluid and turn signals emebedded in the side mirrors. No
>> question to me but that it's a conspiracy. They add all these gadgets
>> and make a 30% profit on each one. And more money when the damn things
>> go bad .
>>
>> Most americans are not loonybirds who fall in love with cars. We jsut
>> want a vehicle that gets us from A to B and there is no reason why a
>> perfectly functional brand new car should cost over $5,000.

> Troll.

You think?

Old January 30th 05, 06:05 AM
Magnulus

"Samuel Nella" > wrote in message
> Hybrids are way too complex abominations.

Not really. All it's doing is combining computer technology with a car.

> Wait until these things hit the used market and start needing repairs.

Then mechanics will start learning how to fix them. In some ways, they
are simpler than a regular car. The brakes will wear less often, as well.

> What happened to the CRX and Geo which got this mileage without all the
> nonsense?

They don't get the kind of fuel efficiency that a hybrid does. A Toyota
Corolla gets about 35mpg and makes about 6 lbs of CO2. A Toyota Prius gets
about 55mpg and makes about 3 1/2 lbs of CO2. And a Prius is more like a
midsize car, whereas the Corolla is slightly smaller.

Old January 30th 05, 09:44 PM
Old Wolf

Jay Maynard wrote:
> On 2005-01-29, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> >> I think an automatic tranny is truly useful

> > for you, maybe. It's the one frill that really annoys me.

> The one feature my RX300 has that I wish it didn't is an
> automatic transmission. The only vehicle in that class that
> is offered with a manual is the BMW X5, and I didn't want to
> pay more for a heavier vehicle with the same engine specs.

You can usually convert an auto to manual for under $2000.
If you're buying that class of car then I guess 2K is small
change to you. It might even increase the car's resale value,
if there are other shoppers like yourself..

Drving faster, in my experience does not make a significant change in mileage... Cory Dunkle Driving 118 February 4th 05 04:00 PM
HEMI's HOT Luke Smith Driving 208 December 19th 04 06:27 PM
Vintage Cars Get Hot with Makeovers Grover C. McCoury III Ford Mustang 2 December 5th 04 05:13 AM
European Cars Least Reliable Richard Schulman VW water cooled 3 November 11th 04 10:41 AM
Brake Rotors: Why Different Sizes? Geoff Miller General 10 February 9th 04 10:35 PM