K & N air filters--Are They Worth it?

Old July 15th 06, 07:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Nino NoSpam

Default K & N air filters--Are They Worth it?

Does anyone know if it's worth it to buy K & N air filters for your Honda?
Does it really improve gas mileage, and is it worth it to pay $70-85 CAD
upfront and then another $15.00 for the oil kit? I mean really, where's the
savings? If they were that good wouldn't manufacturers install them from the
factory? What about warranty? Do they void the warranty?

Thanks,

Nino

Old July 15th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Nino NoSpam wrote:
> Does anyone know if it's worth it to buy K & N air filters for your Honda?
> Does it really improve gas mileage, and is it worth it to pay $70-85 CAD
> upfront and then another $15.00 for the oil kit? I mean really, where's the
> savings? If they were that good wouldn't manufacturers install them from the
> factory? What about warranty? Do they void the warranty?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Nino

NO NO NO !!!
These filters clog up very very quickly because they have almost no
capacity to hold dirt. There is no meaningful performance increase,
either. The same kind of nutz that swear by them are the ones buying
100 dollar video cables, because they're "better" even though nobody
can see or hear the difference. If you want to waste your money, use
synthetic oil, at least it won't INCREASE your maintenance obligations.

Old July 15th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_1_]

>Does anyone know if it's worth it to buy K & N air filters for your Honda?
>Does it really improve gas mileage, and is it worth it to pay $70-85 CAD
>upfront and then another $15.00 for the oil kit? I mean really, where's the
>savings? If they were that good wouldn't manufacturers install them from the
>factory? What about warranty? Do they void the warranty?

they trade filtering performance for air flow performance and they void the
warranty.

Old July 18th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TeGGeR®

"Nino NoSpam" > wrote in

> Does anyone know if it's worth it to buy K & N air filters for your
> Honda?

Read this and then decide.
http://home.usadatanet.net/%7Ejbploc...011/SPICER.htm

> Does it really improve gas mileage, and is it worth it to pay
> $70-85 CAD upfront and then another $15.00 for the oil kit? I mean
> really, where's the savings? If they were that good wouldn't
> manufacturers install them from the factory? What about warranty? Do
> they void the warranty?

if you develop engine problems, your use of a K&N will *definitely* be
viewed very dimly by Honda and the dealer, and my well be used to
invalidate the warranty.

--
TeGGeR®

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old July 18th 06, 07:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_1_]

"Nino NoSpam" > wrote in message
> Does anyone know if it's worth it to buy K & N air filters for your
> Honda? Does it really improve gas mileage, and is it worth it to
> pay $70-85 CAD upfront and then another $15.00 for the oil kit?
> I mean really, where's the savings? If they were that good wouldn't
> manufacturers install them from the factory? What about warranty?
> Do they void the warranty?

Isn't your CR-V going off warranty already? The filter is good for the life
of the vehicle, unless you neglect it to the point that it suffers
mechanical damage during cleaning. If you do get one, then make sure to
keep it clean. Cleaning the element is a pain in the neck, but you do save
the cost of a new OEM style element every time you do it. In my opinion,
that would be the reason to get one. My wife's CR-V had one of these in it
when we bought it used. I am debating whether to keep it or not. I already
have a cleaning kit for the Turbo City Rock-It! Air Tube and K&N I have on
my Jeep.

I have to be skeptical of claims that it flows significantly more air than a
stock OEM filter, unless you install a less restrictive air intake that fits
a significantly bigger filter element (like the one on my Jeep). These are
available for some vehicles, but in my opinion only warranted for extreme
use such as trailer towing or posing. You want the thing visible when you
open the hood, and you want it to make a sound you can hear. The K&N for
the CR-V is just a boring drop-in replacement.

The kind of damage to be expected from a defective or inferior air cleaner
element is accelerated cylinder and piston wear. If your CR-V starts
blowing blue smoke and the oil needs to be refilled more often, then I guess
the nay-sayers were right.

Earle

Old July 19th 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_1_]

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:50:45 -0500, Armand > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>>On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:05:16 GMT, Nino NoSpam

>>e:
>>

>>>Does anyone know if it's worth it to buy K & N air filters for your Honda?
>>>Does it really improve gas mileage, and is it worth it to pay $70-85 CAD
>>>upfront and then another $15.00 for the oil kit? I mean really, where's the
>>>savings? If they were that good wouldn't manufacturers install them from

>the
>>>factory? What about warranty? Do they void the warranty?

>>they trade filtering performance for air flow performance and they void the
>>warranty.

>FWIW, according to the service manager at my local Honda dealer, using a
>K&N air filter not only won't void the warranty, but he says it will neither
>damage the engine nor increase performance. He says he sees alot of these
>filters in his customers cars.

He doesn't speak for honda and your report is irrelevent.
Old July 20th 06, 10:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Gordon McGrew[_1_]

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:48:33 -0500, (Armand)
wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>>On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:50:45 -0500, Armand >

>wrote:
>>

>>>In article >,
says...

>>><Nino.NoSpam@unsubscribenews> wrot

>the
>>>the

>>>FWIW, according to the service manager at my local Honda dealer, using a
>>>K&N air filter not only won't void the warranty, but he says it will neither
>>>damage the engine nor increase performance. He says he sees alot of

>these
>>>filters in his customers cars.

>>He doesn't speak for honda and your report is irrelevent.

>And neither do you. You made the statement that it voids warranty. Can you
>prove that?

Use of aftermarket parts doesn't "void the warranty" but the
manufacturer can deny a claim if the damage was caused by the non-OEM
part. If push comes to shove, they have to prove that the part caused
the failure. If the cylinder walls are all scratched up and you have
a K&N filter, they would probably win.

http://home.usadatanet.net/%7Ejbploc...011/SPICER.htm

I wouldn't worry much about the warranty being voided. Your engine
will probably last long enough to get out of the warranty period.

The K&N filter lets in a lot more dirt than a top quality paper
filter. It may be less restrictive initially, but the difference
diminishes and disappears as the filter clogs with dirt. This will
probably happen sooner than with the paper filter.

Old July 20th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Armand

In article >,
says...

>On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 08:48:33 -0500,
(Armand)
>wrote:
>
>>In article >,
says...

says...

Honda?

CAD

>>the

from

the

using a

>>these
>>>
>>>He doesn't speak for honda and your report is irrelevent.

>>And neither do you. You made the statement that it voids warranty. Can

you
>>prove that?

>Use of aftermarket parts doesn't "void the warranty" but the
>manufacturer can deny a claim if the damage was caused by the non-OEM
>part. If push comes to shove, they have to prove that the part caused
>the failure. If the cylinder walls are all scratched up and you have
>a K&N filter, they would probably win.

http://home.usadatanet.net/%7Ejbploc...011/SPICER.htm

>I wouldn't worry much about the warranty being voided. Your engine
>will probably last long enough to get out of the warranty period.
>
>The K&N filter lets in a lot more dirt than a top quality paper
>filter. It may be less restrictive initially, but the difference
>diminishes and disappears as the filter clogs with dirt. This will
>probably happen sooner than with the paper filter.

I remember seeing that posted here when I asked about the filters a while
back which is why I didn't buy one. But for those that have, If anything does
happen, you could put the original OEM back in if you're worried about a
refusal to repair under warranty. My 96' Accord is long past it's warranty.