Advice for buying used Accord/Civic, please?

Old August 11th 05, 10:49 AM
Kristen

Default Advice for buying used Accord/Civic, please?

My husband and I are looking for a cheap but reliable 2nd car. We've
found the resale value of VWs (our first choice) to be kinda high, so
we thought we might check out Hondas. We need to fit 2 adults, 2
dogs, and a baby potentially, so that means 4 doors.

So, first, would the Civic be sufficient (one dog is a greyhound!), or
would we need to look only at Accords?

Second: how young of whichever is recommended can we get for around
$2000 through private sale, with A/C, manual trans, dual front airbags
and 4/5 doors, that will last about a year, year and a half? If it
dies after that, it's ok, lol. But it has to be pretty reliable in
the meantime. Or is that a pipe dream? We really can't afford more,
seriously...

Anything else we should be thinking about/of?

Thanks for any info!

Kristen
Old August 11th 05, 03:52 PM
N.E.Ohio Bob

Kristen wrote:
> My husband and I are looking for a cheap but reliable 2nd car. We've
> found the resale value of VWs (our first choice) to be kinda high, so
> we thought we might check out Hondas. We need to fit 2 adults, 2
> dogs, and a baby potentially, so that means 4 doors.
>
> So, first, would the Civic be sufficient (one dog is a greyhound!), or
> would we need to look only at Accords?
>
> Second: how young of whichever is recommended can we get for around
> $2000 through private sale, with A/C, manual trans, dual front airbags
> and 4/5 doors, that will last about a year, year and a half? If it
> dies after that, it's ok, lol. But it has to be pretty reliable in
> the meantime. Or is that a pipe dream? We really can't afford more,
> seriously...
>
> Anything else we should be thinking about/of?
>
> Thanks for any info!
>
> Kristen

Don't know where you are, but I last year found a nice '93 Accord in
Frederick MD for $2500 (single airbag). There were many more on cars.com
to look at in that price range. I'd stick to Accord over Civic, just
because they are bigger. Really comes down to your preference. bob
Old August 11th 05, 04:19 PM
Jason

In article >, wrote:

> My husband and I are looking for a cheap but reliable 2nd car. We've
> found the resale value of VWs (our first choice) to be kinda high, so
> we thought we might check out Hondas. We need to fit 2 adults, 2
> dogs, and a baby potentially, so that means 4 doors.
>
> So, first, would the Civic be sufficient (one dog is a greyhound!), or
> would we need to look only at Accords?
>
> Second: how young of whichever is recommended can we get for around
> $2000 through private sale, with A/C, manual trans, dual front airbags
> and 4/5 doors, that will last about a year, year and a half? If it
> dies after that, it's ok, lol. But it has to be pretty reliable in
> the meantime. Or is that a pipe dream? We really can't afford more,
> seriously...
>
> Anything else we should be thinking about/of?
>
> Thanks for any info!
>
> Kristen

The fifth generation Civic was made from 1992 to 1995. In most cases, the
last one made in a series (eg 1995) is the best of the bunch since any
bugs found in prior models in the series were repaired. In other words, by
the time the 1995 was made--most all or perhaps ALL of the bugs have been
eliminated. If you can find a great deal on a 1995 Civic--buy it. For
these same reasons, consider the 1996 Prelude or the 1997 Accord. All of
those models were the last in the series.
Jason

--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
We do NOT respect the subscribers that enjoy criticizing people.

Old August 11th 05, 04:41 PM
Elle

"Kristen" > wrote
> My husband and I are looking for a cheap but reliable 2nd car. We've
> found the resale value of VWs (our first choice) to be kinda high, so
> we thought we might check out Hondas. We need to fit 2 adults, 2
> dogs, and a baby potentially, so that means 4 doors.
>
> So, first, would the Civic be sufficient (one dog is a greyhound!), or
> would we need to look only at Accords?

I think you will prefer the Accord, comfort-wise. I'm not sure how much more
space it affords.

> Second: how young of whichever is recommended can we get for around
> $2000 through private sale, with A/C, manual trans, dual front airbags
> and 4/5 doors, that will last about a year, year and a half?

Based on www.edmunds.com, I'd estimate 1994-1996 are possibilities.

As a baseline, Edmunds states for my area (which is not on either coast) one
can expect the following for about $2500:

1995 Accord DX
automatic transmission
air conditioning
100,000 miles
Average condition

Change the mileage to 150k miles, and the average private party price goes
down to about $1300.

I wouldn't go over 150k miles. I'd aim for a 100k miles or lower.

I would expect you could get another 100,000 miles out of this car, assuming
you maintained it properly.

> If it
> dies after that, it's ok, lol. But it has to be pretty reliable in
> the meantime. Or is that a pipe dream? We really can't afford more,
> seriously...
>
> Anything else we should be thinking about/of?

Try to get a car with a written maintenance history. Preferably, a 1995
Accord with a 100k miles on it will have had its timing belt changed in the
last few years. If it hasn't negotiate this into the deal. Figure a $500
credit.

Elle
1991 Civic LX sedan, original owner

Old August 11th 05, 07:06 PM
Shredder

We are on our 3 accord. I would highly recommend it. The one I am driving
now is a 92 and we got it 2 years ago for $1200 in central Ohio. Needed a
few cosmetic things for about $100. Still driving it, looks good,
everything works except for AC sometimes. Has 225K miles and I wouldn't
hesitate to take it across country.

Old August 11th 05, 07:41 PM
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
Kristen > wrote:
>My husband and I are looking for a cheap but reliable 2nd car. We've
>found the resale value of VWs (our first choice) to be kinda high,

Honda resale value is also high, although reliability is typically
better than VW.

>so we thought we might check out Hondas. We need to fit 2 adults, 2
>dogs, and a baby potentially, so that means 4 doors.
>
>So, first, would the Civic be sufficient (one dog is a greyhound!), or
>would we need to look only at Accords?

Bring the whole family (including the dogs and an infant seat) for
test fitting.

Wagons may be helpful, but they are not common (Civic wagon until
1991 in the US, Accord wagon until 1997 in the US).

Reliability will be most dependent on previous owner care and
maintenance. Be especially careful about checking when the timing
belt was last changed -- it is several hundred dollars to change,
and failure can cause major engine damage. Also, on older Hondas,
do full lock parking lot turns; if you hear grinding or clicking
noises, the CV boots have cracked and allowed dirt into the CV
joints, requiring repair (the boots typically last about 100,000
miles or so).

You might also want to look at Chevrolet or Geo Prizms or 1980s
Chevrolet Novas -- rebadged Toyota Corollas with good reliability
and lower resale value from the "Chevrolet" or "Geo" badge.

Timothy J. Lee
Old August 12th 05, 12:13 AM
Jason

wrote:

> > My husband and I are looking for a cheap but reliable 2nd car. We've
> > found the resale value of VWs (our first choice) to be kinda high, so
> > we thought we might check out Hondas. We need to fit 2 adults, 2
> > dogs, and a baby potentially, so that means 4 doors.
> >
> > So, first, would the Civic be sufficient (one dog is a greyhound!), or
> > would we need to look only at Accords?
> >
> > Second: how young of whichever is recommended can we get for around
> > $2000 through private sale, with A/C, manual trans, dual front airbags
> > and 4/5 doors, that will last about a year, year and a half? If it
> > dies after that, it's ok, lol. But it has to be pretty reliable in
> > the meantime. Or is that a pipe dream? We really can't afford more,
> > seriously...
> >
> > Anything else we should be thinking about/of?
> >
> > Thanks for any info!
> >
> > Kristen

> The fifth generation Civic was made from 1992 to 1995. In most cases, the
> last one made in a series (eg 1995) is the best of the bunch since any
> bugs found in prior models in the series were repaired. In other words, by
> the time the 1995 was made--most all or perhaps ALL of the bugs have been
> eliminated. If you can find a great deal on a 1995 Civic--buy it. For
> these same reasons, consider the 1996 Prelude or the 1997 Accord. All of
> those models were the last in the series.
> Jason

Update:
The 1993 Accord was also the last model in that series of Accords so you
should add that one to your list. If possible, get the EX model since it
has the most extras. I once owned a 1993 Accord EX and I loved it. It ran
great.
Jason

Old August 12th 05, 01:51 AM
Pars

Forget Honda. At $2000, you'll probably end up with a headake. Unless
the deal is from a personal aquantance and the orginal owner.

An alternative is the 1996's Lumina.

Pars

Old August 12th 05, 05:28 AM
Michael Pardee

Old August 12th 05, 02:42 PM
Kristen

Thanks for the tips!

See ya,

Kristen

Need Help, Advice, Information - Possible purchase of '65 Mustang Willis Ford Mustang 5 February 11th 05 03:39 AM
advice on plymouth horizon Dodge 0 February 10th 05 02:12 AM
Wanna get my 1st vette, need advice!!! HighOnFire Corvette 10 October 22nd 04 08:37 PM
Advice needed replacing A3 brakerotors and strut mounts. [email protected] VW water cooled 5 October 22nd 04 05:14 PM
Used 156 buying Advice Please ? Steve Haigh Alfa Romeo 0 April 28th 04 09:12 PM