two cycle oil into fuel system

Old October 19th 10, 08:18 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
sam

Default two cycle oil into fuel system

anyone tried this method:
http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206

sounds a bit like oxygen sensors or catalyst would be plugged

Old October 19th 10, 11:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_3_]

"sam" > wrote in :

> anyone tried this method:
> http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206
>
> sounds a bit like oxygen sensors or catalyst would be plugged

Well,not "plugged", but possibly have their lives shortened by the amount
of ZDDP anti-wear additive. I'm guessing 2-stroke oils probably have quite
a lot more ZDDP than approved motor oils.

Plus, since "Sarge" is adding the oil to the /fuel/, that means /all/ the
ZDDP is being burnt, rather than just what might squeak past the rings if
it were in the oil instead.

I'm kinda suspicious of Sarge's comment that todays fuels are "very dry".
Modern fuels already contain a light oil to help lubricate the injectors
and fuel pump. Sarge appears not to know that.

Considering that O2/AF sensors and cats tend to fail about every 150/175K
these days anyway, and considering the cost of those items, my personal
preference would be to stick with most automakers' offical recommendations
and not use any additives at all.

--
Tegger
Old October 20th 10, 12:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
chuckcar

Tegger > wrote in
:

> "sam" > wrote in
> :
>
>> anyone tried this method:
>> http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206
>>
>> sounds a bit like oxygen sensors or catalyst would be plugged
>>

> Well,not "plugged", but possibly have their lives shortened by the
> amount of ZDDP anti-wear additive. I'm guessing 2-stroke oils probably
> have quite a lot more ZDDP than approved motor oils.
>
> Plus, since "Sarge" is adding the oil to the /fuel/, that means /all/
> the ZDDP is being burnt, rather than just what might squeak past the
> rings if it were in the oil instead.
>
> I'm kinda suspicious of Sarge's comment that todays fuels are "very
> dry". Modern fuels already contain a light oil to help lubricate the
> injectors and fuel pump. Sarge appears not to know that.

Very dry by definition would mean no water. I'd tend to disagree. Has
*anyone* ever done a proper seintific study of such? By that I mean
getting a group of brand new identical never used cars, and breaking
them into three groups: normal recommended gas and oil and maintenance,
no maintenance but everything else remaining the same and normal gas and
oil and an additive?

Run them for 10 years (or 100K or however long group 2 lasts - whichever
comes first) and then examine the engines completely.

--
(setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
Old October 20th 10, 02:49 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Stauffer

On 10/19/2010 2:18 PM, sam wrote:
> anyone tried this method:
> http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206
>
> sounds a bit like oxygen sensors or catalyst would be plugged

That is an old trick from long, long ago (well before oxygen sensors and
closed loop mixture management). The idea was as a valve lubricant and
maybe the top rings. As I remember the idea, it was only a periodic
treatment, not for use every fillup. I think peope used a pint per fill up.

Commercial fuel treatments were widely available, but this was a bit
cheaper and supposed to do the same thing. Never tried it myself, but
it was popular back in day when STP, Rislone, and products like that
were the rage- days of first overhead valve V8s.

--
Don Stauffer in Minnesota
Old October 20th 10, 09:07 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"sam" > wrote in message
> anyone tried this method:
> http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91206
>
> sounds a bit like oxygen sensors or catalyst would be plugged

I dont see any reason to do this anymore. Modern gasoline has
some very advanced and effective additives. "Upper cylinder lubricants"
are just not needed.

If you get a really nasty engine, varnish, sticking valve lifters, I do
believe that there is a place for alternative oil treatments.. If you
change your oil optimally, you may never need these.. If you
let the engine get nasty, however, you might benefit from the use
of one of these type product.s