Replacing Tacoma 75 profile Tires with 70?

Old October 18th 10, 06:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Josh[_8_]

Default Replacing Tacoma 75 profile Tires with 70?

My 2003 4x2 extended cab Tacoma's original 205r75/15 Goodyear
Wrangler tires have 51k and will need replacing before the next state
safety inspection. That's NOT an easy size to find. Seems most of
the ones I've looked at are models that have poor customer reviews or
else they're brands I've never heard of. However, there's a wide
selection of new 205r70/15 tires to choose from.

I went to the 1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator to check 70 profile
specs and requirements versus the OEM 205r75/15's. No problem with
the wheel width; my Tacoma has 15x6j and the 70 profile is rated for
5.5 to 7.5" wide wheels. The calculator shows switching to the lower
70 profile will cause my speedometer to read 3% higher than actual
speed (will show 61.3 mph when I'm actually doing 60 mph). I can live
with that. In fact, the way I drive it may actually save me from
getting a speeding ticket.

Aside from the aforementioned minor speedometer error and the fact
that my truck may sit a half-inch or so closer to the ground, are
there any other drawbacks to switching from the original 75 series to
70s? The owner's manual and door jam data plate offer no
guidance....it only lists the 75 series and optional 16" wheels.
Old October 18th 10, 10:51 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Hachiroku[_5_]

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 10:47:41 -0700, Josh wrote:

> My 2003 4x2 extended cab Tacoma's original 205r75/15 Goodyear Wrangler
> tires have 51k and will need replacing before the next state safety
> inspection. That's NOT an easy size to find. Seems most of the ones I've
> looked at are models that have poor customer reviews or else they're
> brands I've never heard of. However, there's a wide selection of new
> 205r70/15 tires to choose from.
>
> I went to the 1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator to check 70 profile specs
> and requirements versus the OEM 205r75/15's. No problem with the wheel
> width; my Tacoma has 15x6j and the 70 profile is rated for 5.5 to 7.5"
> wide wheels. The calculator shows switching to the lower 70 profile will
> cause my speedometer to read 3% higher than actual speed (will show 61.3
> mph when I'm actually doing 60 mph). I can live with that. In fact, the
> way I drive it may actually save me from getting a speeding ticket.
>
> Aside from the aforementioned minor speedometer error and the fact that my
> truck may sit a half-inch or so closer to the ground, are there any other
> drawbacks to switching from the original 75 series to 70s? The owner's
> manual and door jam data plate offer no guidance....it only lists the 75
> series and optional 16" wheels.

Shouldn't be a problem. I switch tire sizes all the time, usually to a
wider tire or a lower profile tire. I have rarely had any problems. As far
as the speedo error, if you have a GPS you can keep an eye on speed.

A lower profile might give you a bit of an edge in handling, but with such
a little difference it won't be much.

Make sure they will handle the type of driving/loading you do. If you're
just using the truck as an extra car with a REALLY big trunk, I don't see
an issue. Since it's RWD I would guess you're not doing a lot of
off-roading aside from the occasional dirt road or so. If you load the bed
up frequently nearing the truck's loaded capacity (or exceeding it...)
make sure the Load Range is correct. You'll wear them out FAST if you run
the truck at it's GVWR a lot.

--
It says Last...In...Kadora
Gimme that! "La Stinkadora"

Old October 19th 10, 04:49 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Josh[_8_]

Thanks Hachiroku. I do use it like a would a car 99% of the time. I
seldom go off road and I've never carried a load anywhere near max
rating.

I'll go for the 70 profiles.

Low profile wider tires noisier? bimbim BMW 35 August 25th 06 01:02 PM
Low profile tires air pressure serb Honda 1 March 9th 06 12:24 AM
low profile tires asdf Driving 1 September 27th 05 11:53 AM
TIRES: Profile VS. Speed rating ChrisCoaster Technology 8 December 24th 04 09:58 PM
Low Profile vs Standard Tires - Durability? Brad and Mia Chrysler 22 October 25th 04 12:56 AM