Trailer Wiring Problem

Old May 30th 05, 10:52 PM

Default Trailer Wiring Problem

Hey All, I have a 90 XJ with a stock Class 4 Hitch. The stock plug has
7 wires blue, yellow, green, brown and red 14? gauge and black and
white 10? gauge.Trailer has 5 wires brown & green for right tail/brake
and brown &yellow for the left tail/brake and a white ground. when
hooked up color to color exept for white (white trailer wire grounded
to XJ), black, red and blue. The left turn signal doesn't flash, right
turn flashes both sides, brake lights up both correctly. I can't figure
it out, any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Old May 30th 05, 11:09 PM
Stephen Cowell

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hey All, I have a 90 XJ with a stock Class 4 Hitch. The stock plug has
> 7 wires blue, yellow, green, brown and red 14? gauge and black and
> white 10? gauge.Trailer has 5 wires brown & green for right tail/brake
> and brown &yellow for the left tail/brake and a white ground. when
> hooked up color to color exept for white (white trailer wire grounded
> to XJ), black, red and blue. The left turn signal doesn't flash, right
> turn flashes both sides, brake lights up both correctly. I can't figure
> it out, any help will be appreciated. Thanks

Connecting color-to-color is like building an airplane
out of bamboo in hopes another will land... cargo-cult
electrics. Don't do this again, for anything except
house wiring... you're lucky you didn't see smoke.

Here's a link to a diagram for your connector:

http://dodgeram.org/tech/mods/electric/trailer_wire.htm

Reese makes adapters that will plug your two units
together... they're not very cheap, especially for
the honking 7-conductor unit you've got. What I
did for mine like that was to buy the plug and create
my own adapter... if you just need to do this once,
you can create jumpers out of crimp-on connectors,
or, just cram stripped wires into the holes and tape...
yes, I know, but it works, and it will get you home.
__
Steve
..

Old May 31st 05, 05:44 PM

Unfortunately every vehicle manufacturer uses their own color coding system
for trailer wires. This has been a pet peeve of mine for years, but anyway,
this should fix you up:

The taillight wires on the trailer harness are brown, they should both go to
the green wire on the vehicle.
The left turn wire on the trailer is yellow and should go to the red wire on
the vehicle.
The right turn wire on the trailer is green and should go to the brown wire
on the vehicle.

Here is a pretty decent site for all the color codes:
http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp

Chris

Old May 31st 05, 07:16 PM
Dick

True enough, but the color codes I listed below came directly off the
instructions included with the factory pigtail for our Grand Cherokee.
The colors do match what the OP listed for his XJ, so I assume they
are correct.

Dick

On Tue, 31 May 2005 16:44:10 GMT, "c" > wrote:

>Unfortunately every vehicle manufacturer uses their own color coding system
>for trailer wires. This has been a pet peeve of mine for years, but anyway,
>this should fix you up:
>
>The taillight wires on the trailer harness are brown, they should both go to
>the green wire on the vehicle.
>The left turn wire on the trailer is yellow and should go to the red wire on
>the vehicle.
>The right turn wire on the trailer is green and should go to the brown wire
>on the vehicle.
>
>Here is a pretty decent site for all the color codes:
>http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp
>
>Chris

.. .

Old May 31st 05, 07:40 PM

Dick wrote:
> True enough, but the color codes I listed below came directly off the
> instructions included with the factory pigtail for our Grand Cherokee.
> The colors do match what the OP listed for his XJ, so I assume they
> are correct.
>
> Dick
>
> On Tue, 31 May 2005 16:44:10 GMT, "c" > wrote:
>
> >Unfortunately every vehicle manufacturer uses their own color coding system
> >for trailer wires. This has been a pet peeve of mine for years, but anyway,
> >this should fix you up:
> >
> >The taillight wires on the trailer harness are brown, they should both go to
> >the green wire on the vehicle.
> >The left turn wire on the trailer is yellow and should go to the red wire on
> >the vehicle.
> >The right turn wire on the trailer is green and should go to the brown wire
> >on the vehicle.
> >
> >Here is a pretty decent site for all the color codes:
> >http://www.etrailer.com/faq/wiring.asp
> >
> >Chris
> >

> >"Dick" <LeadWinger> wrote in message
> .. .

> >> 1 = White = Ground
> >> 2 = Blue = Trailer Brakes
> >> 3 = Green = Tail Lamps
> >> 4 = Black = 12-volts DC
> >> 5 = Red = Left Turn & Brake
> >> 6 = Brown = Right Turn & Brake
> >> 7 = Yellow = Backup Lamps

Thanks all, I,m going to try it after work and will let you know how it
went.

John K

Old May 31st 05, 07:52 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Bookmarked, thanks.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 1st 05, 02:33 AM

Worked like a charm, I would like to thank you all. You guys have saved
my butt a few times, not to mention a lot of dollars. Take care, J
Kennedy