Any Honda models good in snow?

Old December 22nd 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
K J

Default Any Honda models good in snow?

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:
> You don't see the point, but then you're not educated in these
> matters.
> The fact is, snow tires on only two wheels HUGELY changes the dynamics
> of the car.
>
> The car is designed to have similar traction at all four wheels,
> whatever that traction is. When you change that, the car is now in a
> state that was never planned, never tested for, and which is probably
> MORE dangerous than just leaving all the tires alone.

Hm, I guess I had my lack of education on these matters from my prior
experience with RW driven cars that did fine in snow with only two snow
tires.

KJ

Old December 22nd 08, 09:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Iowna Uass

"News" > wrote in message
t...

> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
>> In article > ,
>> News > wrote:
>>

>>>How about the CRV? Unstoppable.

>> How about the CRV with Nokian WR or with snows?
>>
>> Absolutely unstoppable.

> Exactly. CRV with Dunlop SP WinterSport M3s.

I like to be able to stop as opposed to being unstoppable, so I put a set of
Michelin x-ice 2 radials on my CRV.
Now if I can only find a way to get over the big drifts of snow....

Old December 23rd 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
tww1491

"K J" > wrote in message
> My '94 Accord sure is not. In winter time I foundly think of my old VW
> Beetle that would go anywhere in snow without snow tires. This Accord,
> even with front snow tires, is pretty lame. I wonder if Civics are any
> better.
>
> KJ

Brings back memories -- of my college days when I had a 56 or so VW
cabriolet with the 36 hp engine. Ran through some of the worst snow storms
in Ohio back in the early 60s when nothing moved and had regular tires all
the way around. The heater wasn't worth a flip though.

Old December 23rd 08, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
K J

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:

> then this newsgroup, and the whole Usenet thing, is useless to you.

You can come to interesting conclusions.

KJ
Old December 23rd 08, 06:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
K J

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:
> Why do you bother asking for information when you dismiss information
> simply because you've never heard the information before?
>
> Talk about interesting.

You're putting words into my mouth for I never dismissed it. I only
stated that I never heard of it. From that it follows that I could not
have used it before, not that I dismissed it. Are you seriously thinking
that most people heard about Nokian WR tires? If I heard that name in
another context, I would think it was a cell phone model, not a winter
tire. That's why I wrote you were making interesting conclusions. I have
a feeling everybody else understood this but you.

KJ

Old December 23rd 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:38:21 -0500, tww1491 > wrote:

>"K J" > wrote in message
>> My '94 Accord sure is not. In winter time I foundly think of my old VW
>> Beetle that would go anywhere in snow without snow tires. This Accord,
>> even with front snow tires, is pretty lame. I wonder if Civics are any
>> better.
>>
>> KJ

>Brings back memories -- of my college days when I had a 56 or so VW
>cabriolet with the 36 hp engine. Ran through some of the worst snow storms
>in Ohio back in the early 60s when nothing moved and had regular tires all
>the way around. The heater wasn't worth a flip though.

I had a superbug. It got stuck all the time. The biggest problem that
both the accord and the bug have is too little ground clearence.
Old December 23rd 08, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
K J

"AZ Nomad" > wrote:
> I had a superbug. It got stuck all the time. The biggest problem
> that
> both the accord and the bug have is too little ground clearence.

Almost as little as a Corvette.

KJ

Old December 24th 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 10:49:51 -0800, K J wrote:

> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:
>> Why do you bother asking for information when you dismiss information
>> simply because you've never heard the information before?
>>
>> Talk about interesting.

> You're putting words into my mouth for I never dismissed it. I only
> stated that I never heard of it. From that it follows that I could not
> have used it before, not that I dismissed it. Are you seriously thinking
> that most people heard about Nokian WR tires? If I heard that name in
> another context, I would think it was a cell phone model, not a winter
> tire. That's why I wrote you were making interesting conclusions. I have
> a feeling everybody else understood this but you.

your response to elmo was:

"I wrote that I used front snow tires. I don't see much point in having
rear snow tires on on front wheel drive cars. It might only help down
hill, but not up."

followed by:

"Never heard of them."

that sounds pretty damned dismissive to me.

and your follow up response was:

"Hm, I guess I had my lack of education on these matters from my prior
experience with RW driven cars that did fine in snow with only two snow
tires."

so your bleating about "not understanding" the nature of the name is b.s.

bottom line, you're being somewhat dishonest as well as highly
disingenuous about what was extremely good advice.

Old December 24th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
K J

"jim beam" > wrote:
> your response to elmo was:
>
> "I wrote that I used front snow tires. I don't see much point in
> having
> rear snow tires on on front wheel drive cars. It might only help down
> hill, but not up."
>
> followed by:
>
> "Never heard of them."

Actually, I wrote the above first quote as a response to his "You'd be
amazed at what happens when you put snow tires on it."

Then I wrote my "Never heard of them." to his "Or, if you don't like the
yearly tire swap, just put Nokian WR tires on it."

> that sounds pretty damned dismissive to me.

Only because you want to read that into it.

> and your follow up response was:
>
> "Hm, I guess I had my lack of education on these matters from my prior
> experience with RW driven cars that did fine in snow with only two
> snow
> tires."
>
> so your bleating about "not understanding" the nature of the name is
> b.s.

Your above quote from me was in a successive article and it looks
misleading without also quoting what it was a response to.

> bottom line, you're being somewhat dishonest as well as highly
> disingenuous about what was extremely good advice.

I never claimed it was a bad advice. I was just explaining the
experience and point I was coming from. I live in the Seattle area now
where snow, such as we're having now, happens maybe once every decade
and most of us don't even have snow tires, not to mention rare ones,
like that Nokian WR. I do have a pair of snow tires which are probably
typical of what most people have around here and they are obviously not
the best. But getting new tires for another big snow storm that might
not happen before I get another car is just not something I could
economically justify. However, I'll keep that advice in mind for my next
car. What else did you expect from me?

KJ

Old December 24th 08, 09:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
bluto

Sorry KJ, but I just moved to the Seatle area and at the recommendation of
neighbors have put all season tires on my car. My neighbor said this was the
second time in two years Seatle has had snow storms like this. I've reread
the thread and Jim Beam comments on your responses are pretty accurate.