Any Honda models good in snow?

Old December 21st 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
K J

Default Any Honda models good in snow?

My '94 Accord sure is not. In winter time I foundly think of my old VW
Beetle that would go anywhere in snow without snow tires. This Accord,
even with front snow tires, is pretty lame. I wonder if Civics are any
better.

KJ

Old December 21st 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Eternal Searcher

K J wrote:

> My '94 Accord sure is not. In winter time I foundly think of my old VW
> Beetle that would go anywhere in snow without snow tires. This Accord,
> even with front snow tires, is pretty lame. I wonder if Civics are any
> better.
>
> KJ

Just get winter tires and drive safely. Period. End of discussion.
Old December 21st 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Eternal Searcher

Eternal Searcher wrote:

> K J wrote:
>
>> My '94 Accord sure is not. In winter time I foundly think of my old VW
>> Beetle that would go anywhere in snow without snow tires. This Accord,
>> even with front snow tires, is pretty lame. I wonder if Civics are any
>> better.
>>
>> KJ

> Just get winter tires and drive safely. Period. End of discussion.

And I mean snow tires on all 4 wheels, not just the fronts.
Old December 21st 08, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger[_2_]

"K J" > wrote in :

> My '94 Accord sure is not. In winter time I foundly think of my old VW
> Beetle that would go anywhere in snow without snow tires.

I'm old enough to remember Beetles in the snow. The ONLY thing they had
going for them -- besides rearwards weight bias -- was tires so narrow that
modern motorcycles would be embarrassed to wear them.

> This Accord,
> even with front snow tires, is pretty lame.

Why? Please provide details of the deficiencies.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old December 22nd 08, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
TomP[_2_]

Tegger wrote:

> I'm old enough to remember Beetles in the snow. The ONLY thing they had
> going for them -- besides rearwards weight bias -- was tires so narrow that
> modern motorcycles would be embarrassed to wear them.
> Tegger

Now that's funny....

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\<. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\<.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old December 22nd 08, 05:35 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
K J

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:
> You'd be amazed at what happens when you put snow tires on it.

I wrote that I used front snow tires. I don't see much point in having
rear snow tires on on front wheel drive cars. It might only help down
hill, but not up.

> Or, if you don't like the yearly tire swap, just put Nokian WR tires
> on
> it. No need for snow tires with those babies, and they're smooth and
> quiet in summer to boot.

Never heard of them.

KJ

Old December 22nd 08, 06:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
K J

"Tegger" > wrote:
> I'm old enough to remember Beetles in the snow. The ONLY thing they
> had
> going for them -- besides rearwards weight bias -- was tires so narrow
> that
> modern motorcycles would be embarrassed to wear them.

I don't think it was that bad on the '68 Beetle I used to have. The
tires were pretty proportional to the car's body. Just check the
following video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOg3iR-4HXk

That was the one that could handle the worst New Jersey winters without
snow tires.
That's plenty to go for it. When I sold it 6 years later in So. Cal, I
got about the same money for that costed me new, not counting the
cheaper $ by then, of course. I don't think you could do that with a
Honda.

>> This Accord,
>> even with front snow tires, is pretty lame.

> Why? Please provide details of the deficiencies.

I see other front wheel drive sedans drive up on snowed-in uphill where
I can not. I used to think that FW drives would be better in the winter,
but that Beetle and later RW drive cars I had did much better, such as
the RW drive Corolla I used to have (after putting some sand bags in its
trunk.)

KJ

Old December 22nd 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
News

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article >,
> "K J" > wrote:
>

>>My '94 Accord sure is not.

> You'd be amazed at what happens when you put snow tires on it.
>
> Or, if you don't like the yearly tire swap, just put Nokian WR tires on
> it. No need for snow tires with those babies, and they're smooth and
> quiet in summer to boot.

Drove an '88 Accord Lxi for 17 years, Bridgestone snows all around,
never a problem in the snow.

How about the CRV? Unstoppable.
Old December 22nd 08, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
News

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article > ,
> News > wrote:
>

>>How about the CRV? Unstoppable.

> How about the CRV with Nokian WR or with snows?
>
> Absolutely unstoppable.

Exactly. CRV with Dunlop SP WinterSport M3s.
Old December 22nd 08, 07:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
K J

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" > wrote:
>> Never heard of them.

> You have now.
>
> Are you dismissing them because you've never heard of them before now?

It's hard to take something into consideration that you never heard of.

KJ