First Oil Change Suggestions

Old December 10th 07, 03:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default First Oil Change Suggestions

The consensus for the past few years in this newsgroup have suggested
that synthetic was the way to go. I would definitely like to see what
some 2003+ engines look like on dino oil following the new Maintenance
Minder schedule which can be between 5-7k miles. If you can also
comment on how frequently you changed your oil, that would help in the
discussion.

On Sun, 09 Dec 2007 21:00:51 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Old December 10th 07, 10:07 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

> wrote in message
> The consensus for the past few years in this newsgroup have suggested
> that synthetic was the way to go. I would definitely like to see what
> some 2003+ engines look like on dino oil following the new Maintenance
> Minder schedule which can be between 5-7k miles. If you can also
> comment on how frequently you changed your oil, that would help in the
> discussion.

'01 EX-V6 with 195,000 miles on the odometer. Only using whatever dino oil
the local Carquest has. Don't change the oil till the flashing "maint"
light appears.

Only engine related repair done thus far is the EGR valve for which there
was a TSB on.

Old December 10th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

Old December 10th 07, 10:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Howard Lester" > wrote in news:13lpa20mve5nc88
@corp.supernews.com:

> "Polfus" wrote
>
>>> www.tegger.com/hondafaq/

>> Even though you took it over, I still like it and appreciate the link...

> That's really got to make Tegger feel good... ;-)

John Ings passed away of lung cancer a short while after he asked me to
take over the site for him. He asked me to assume care of the site because
he knew the end was coming.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old December 11th 07, 12:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Howard Lester

"Tegger" wrote

>>> Even though you took it over, I still like it and appreciate the link...

>> That's really got to make Tegger feel good... ;-)

> John Ings passed away of lung cancer a short while after he asked me to
> take over the site for him. He asked me to assume care of the site because
> he knew the end was coming.

That IS sad, and we thank you for taking it over. What I was addressing was
Polfus intimating that "despite you taking it over" he likes it anyway. I
don't think he/she meant it, but it was languaged that way.

Old December 11th 07, 01:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Howard Lester" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" wrote

>>> That's really got to make Tegger feel good... ;-)

>> John Ings passed away of lung cancer a short while after he asked me
>> to take over the site for him. He asked me to assume care of the site
>> because he knew the end was coming.

> That IS sad, and we thank you for taking it over. What I was
> addressing was Polfus intimating that "despite you taking it over" he
> likes it anyway. I don't think he/she meant it, but it was languaged
> that way.

I found Polfus's statement kind of funny, actually. I went through a few
drafts of a reply before I decided to get serious because I didn't know
what else to say.

His reply reminded me of an old Dilbert comic where the characters had to
go through one of those corporate "team building" exercises. This exercise
had to do with being required to say something nice about one of your
co-workers whom you didn't really like. The strip has Wally saying to
Alice, "In spite of your leathery skin, I admire your co-workers".

Old December 11th 07, 10:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message

> "Seth" > wrote
>
>> "Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message
>>>
>>> And my original 1990 Accord has 192,000+ ( I just called my buddy that
>>> has it ), and used Mobile 1 all the way. Still running, strong too, with
>>> not one repair needed to the engine in 17 years.
>>>
>>> Not bad, eh?

>> '01 EX-V6 with 195,000 miles on the odometer. Only using whatever dino
>> oil the local Carquest has. Don't change the oil till the flashing
>> "maint" light appears.
>>
>> Only engine related repair done thus far is the EGR valve for which there
>> was a TSB on.
>>
>> Not bad, eh?

> You're a really funny guy, but lemme quote Tony Harding for my
> retort...which you most certainly will be looking for:
>
> "Not bad at all; but you're arguing "post hoc, ergo propter hoc" here,
> namely since you put 192k miles on your car and used [dino oil], it's
> because you used [dino oil], which is simply not proven."

Nope. I never said I had that many miles because I use dino oil, rather in
spite of it. I've pocketed a great deal of extra money by not over spending
on my vehicle.

The reason many of us buy Honda's is because they will keep running by
putting peanut oil in the engine. If I wanted to spend extra money
maintaining my vehicle I would have bought something more exotic.

Old December 12th 07, 12:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message

> "Seth" > wrote
>
>> Nope. I never said I had that many miles because I use dino oil, rather
>> in spite of it. I've pocketed a great deal of extra money by not over
>> spending on my vehicle.

> Cool ! If you change oil every 6000 miles, and if the car lasts 200,000
> miles, then using Mobil 1 will cost you about $500 over the life of the
> car.

200,000??? You have low expectations. This is a Honda we're talking about.

Old December 12th 07, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message

> "Seth" > wrote
>
>>> Cool ! If you change oil every 6000 miles, and if the car lasts 200,000
>>> miles, then using Mobil 1 will cost you about $500 over the life of the
>>> car.

>> 200,000??? You have low expectations. This is a Honda we're talking
>> about.

> You have a Honda Accord with over 200,000 miles?

I will in about 2 months (maybe more if I travel abroad for business as much
as I am expecting to in January and February)

> If so, how many of yours have lasted that long, and when did they give up
> the ghost?

See past message in this group. People listing their high mileage Honda
threads come around every couple of months.

Old December 12th 07, 12:10 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Seth

"Polfus" <nostringscouldsecureyou@thestation> wrote in message

> "Seth" > wrote

>>> You have a Honda Accord with over 200,000 miles?

>> I will in about 2 months (maybe more if I travel abroad for business as
>> much as I am expecting to in January and February)

> Not sure if thats a yes or no, but I see what you mean.

That's an "almost yes" from me, I'm at 195k and change right now and my
round-trip commute to the office (which I usually make 3 days a week) is
150miles.

> Thats really good if it does go to 200,000.

Unless it gets hit by a bus, hitting and passing 200k is pretty much a given
for my vehicle.

>>> If so, how many of yours have lasted that long, and when did they give
>>> up the ghost?

>> See past message in this group. People listing their high mileage Honda
>> threads come around every couple of months.

> I guess that will translate, unless you tell me otherwise, that you have
> never had a Honda Accord that made it to 200,000 miles.

This is my first time owning a car more than 3 years, so yeah, for me, it's
a first coming up.

> All I am saying in addition is that I don't think its accurate to suggest
> that its "the norm" when people speak of this milestone.

Depends on what defines "the norm". People voluntarily getting rid of their
vehicle while they are still running doesn't count against it. Someone had
to receive that car.

> 200,000 is a *ton* of miles, and most people just do not have a car long
> enough to get there.

They may not have it from 0-200,000, but when they get rid of it at 120,000
someone picks it up if still running.

Suggestions hls Technology 1 September 26th 07 03:18 AM
Suggestions on going to 33s? Aaron[_1_] Jeep 13 May 6th 07 05:20 AM
Transmission fluid: To Change or Not to Change Yank_fan_2965 Technology 10 April 16th 06 07:17 AM
SOA kit suggestions Chuck Jeep 9 March 28th 06 10:45 PM
Need some suggestions... Nick Price VW air cooled 1 March 5th 06 07:19 PM