Clicking in dirver's side rear wheel well

Old December 19th 05, 07:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Default Clicking in dirver's side rear wheel well

I started my 2002 XLT this morning and heard a clicking noise coming
from the driver's side rear wheel well. It sounds like someone
pressing the unlock button when the doors are already unlocked. It has
been quite cold lately and I have used the 4x4 a few times over the
past week.

Any ideas what could be cauing this noise?

Old December 20th 05, 12:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Do you hear this sound when your defroster is on?. If so, it sounds
like the A/C is cycling on and off . This is normal as it keeps the
compressor and seals lubricated in the winter.

Old December 21st 05, 05:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

Mikepier wrote:
> Do you hear this sound when your defroster is on?. If so, it sounds
> like the A/C is cycling on and off . This is normal as it keeps the
> compressor and seals lubricated in the winter.

The A/C compressor isn't located in the rear wheel well.

Old December 21st 05, 08:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

The noise has something to do with the rear A/C. If I turn off the
rear A/C the sound is muted, but still audible. Maybe it has something
to do with the heating/cooling blending mechanism? Is this something I
should be worried about?

Old December 26th 05, 04:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer

"tmy13" > wrote in news:1135195946.537586.145000
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com:

> The noise has something to do with the rear A/C. If I turn off the
> rear A/C the sound is muted, but still audible. Maybe it has something
> to do with the heating/cooling blending mechanism? Is this something I
> should be worried about?

I had this problem with the same sound. Its the blend door for the rear
A/C. If you have the rear A/C, its probably your problem too. I bet you
will find the rear A/C doesn't switch from heat to cold properly. I had
this happen twice. The first time I had it repaired under warranty. The
second time it was out of warranty, so I opened up the panel (it's a
pain, you have to take apart half the rear plastics). You can see the
blend door cycling back and forth making the noise. I waited until it
cycled to the cold side and pulled the plug. This means I can only get
cold to the rear, not hot. That's OK for me because I live in a mostly
warm climate. On the few cold days, the hot air that blows from the rear
bottom of the center console is sufficient.

I went on the NHTSA website and found a reference to an article called
"Noise-Clicking Noise From Climate Control Tempature Blend Door Actuator-
Vehicles Produced 11/13/2000 Through 4/1/2001" Article No. 01-12-6. There
is a process on the website where you complete a request and they will
mail you a copy of the article, so I did that and it came several weeks
later. I believe the problem described in the article is refering to the
blend door actuator for the front seat. The problem with that blend door
is well documented and has been discussed in this newsgroup. The article
I got contains a re-wiring procedure to solve the problem. Although it's
meant for the front seat, one day when I get some time, I'm planning to
see if it applies to the rear A/C as well.