318ti acceleration question

Old July 20th 05, 11:33 PM
zerouali

Default 318ti acceleration question

Hi,

I've got a 98 318ti which runs fine apart from one thing. When I accelerate
with the pedal pushed to the floor or almost to the floor, it feels like
something is holding the car back a little. This seems to be borne out by
the fact that when this happens, if I lift off the accelerator a little then
the performance appears to improve. Is this all in my mind or is it an
airflow/mixture thing?

Old July 21st 05, 09:31 AM
John Burns

> I've got a 98 318ti which runs fine apart from one thing. When I accelerate
> with the pedal pushed to the floor or almost to the floor, it feels like
> something is holding the car back a little. This seems to be borne out by
> the fact that when this happens, if I lift off the accelerator a little then
> the performance appears to improve. Is this all in my mind or is it an
> airflow/mixture thing?

Sounds funny. Maybe a badly adjusted throttle position switch or a
vacuum leak? Could even be a dragging brake caliper. I'd have the
engine's fault codes read. How old is the air filter?

Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
Old July 21st 05, 01:02 PM
zerouali

> Sounds funny. Maybe a badly adjusted throttle position switch or a
> vacuum leak? Could even be a dragging brake caliper. I'd have the
> engine's fault codes read. How old is the air filter?
>
> --
> Who needs a life when you've got Unix? :-)
> Email: , John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
> Web :
http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!
> Need Sun or HP Unix kit? http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk/unix.html

Hi John,

Pretty sure it's not the air filter or the brakes, I've had the car for four
years, fully dealer serviced with the brakes and air filter both been
changed and it's been a "feature" of the car for all of that time. It's
almost as if I'm choking the car with fuel when fully accelerating which
seems to explain why acceleration improves when I lift off slightly. Would
that tie in with a vacuum leak?
I know many people think the M44 is strangled by the air filter housing but
it wouldn't have this effect, would it?

Cheers.

Old July 25th 05, 12:22 AM
william Ako

Check your air intake. I have the same occasionally with my 323. When it
comes loose I have that problem.

Old July 28th 05, 12:54 PM
zerouali

Thanks, I checked that but as far as I can see all is well. Thought it might
be an oxygen sensor as I noticed a similar fault posted on an M5, but I'm
just guessing. It's due a service anyway so I'll ask them to have a look
around.

Cheers.

. uk...