1998 Camry failed emission test - do I need these parts?

Old October 13th 10, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Default 1998 Camry failed emission test - do I need these parts?

My 1998 Camry failed emission testing by the NJ MVA. The codes that
came up were P0171, P1130, P0441 and P0446.

The shop I went to says I need a new oxygen sensor assembly kit and a
new emissions system purge value assembly.
Cost of these $262 and 114 + labor (3 hrs).

Does this seem right? What is a reasonable cost for this in central
NJ? The cost of these parts online seems to be much less, unless I am
missing something.

thanks
Mark Sabatini
Old October 13th 10, 05:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>My 1998 Camry failed emission testing by the NJ MVA. The codes that
>came up were P0171, P1130, P0441 and P0446.
>
>The shop I went to says I need a new oxygen sensor assembly kit and a
>new emissions system purge value assembly.
>Cost of these $262 and 114 + labor (3 hrs).

Could be.

>Does this seem right? What is a reasonable cost for this in central
>NJ? The cost of these parts online seems to be much less, unless I am
>missing something.

You get what you pay for when you buy parts for the most part. You can buy
dealer parts, you can buy cheap knockoff parts off Ebay. Sometimes you do
fine with generic O2 sensors, sometimes you don't.

Whether this will fix the problem or not you don't know until you drive the
car for a while and see if the computer sets new codes. The codes don't tell
you what it wrong, they only tell you what the symptoms are.
--scott