Fuel economy - bad to worse

Old July 16th 06, 03:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
TW[_2_]

Default Fuel economy - bad to worse

New Zealand uses RON Octane ratings, we have 91 (regular) and 95
premium. Owners manual says to use 91, which is what I use. Normally I
go to Shell, Mobil or BP. At this stage, we don't use alcohol in our
fuel. I will try to stick to one grade from one supplier and then
switch and see if that makes any difference.

TW

Old July 16th 06, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
TW[_2_]

Brakes were done two weeks ago, fuel economy went south about 3 months
ago. I might change the plugs and air filter and see that makes any
difference. Cleaning TB is also a very good idea. I have a locking
fuel cap.

Thanks for all the good ideas.
TW

PS: no teenage daughters in the house - wife doesn't drive my toy.

Old July 16th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
TW[_2_]

It has fuel injection with no distributor (uses three coils on the
rail). Total mileage done so far, 63k kms since new.

TW

Old July 16th 06, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
TW[_2_]

It could be that, I will try switching it to a different rating and
company and see if that makes any difference. NZ uses RON, where
regular is 91 and premium is 95. I use 91 from Shell, Mobil or BP.

Thanks
TW

Old July 16th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
TW[_2_]

Well, I was never anal with my record keeping. But I do know that I
used to get around 425 kms per gas tank, which is now down to around 300
kms. Do you think that could qualify as O2 sensor drift?

TW

Old July 16th 06, 03:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

We used to use RON here, .... before unleaded gasoline came out. The
typical values were 94-95 for regular and 100-105 for premium as I recall.

Nowadays we use (RON + MON) / 2 and typically have values of 87 for regular,
89 for mid-grade, and 91-93 for premium. (octane requirements vary with
altitude)

MON measures high speed knock and RON measures low speed knock and the
rating formula change was supposed to give a more accurate overall report.

However...... at the same time the rating formula changed people started
having drivability problems with the gasoline that the manufacturers claimed
had not been altered.

I think most people assumed that the new measurements was an attempt to hide
that for the first time gasoline quality was taking a step backwards..

Old July 16th 06, 03:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

Did the mileage drop happen at the same time as the start of 'Winter Blend"
gasoline?

Old July 16th 06, 06:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

TW wrote:
> Well, I was never anal with my record keeping. But I do know that I
> used to get around 425 kms per gas tank, which is now down to around
> 300 kms. Do you think that could qualify as O2 sensor drift?

Yes, easily. Alas there is only one real way to test an O2 sensor,
and that is with an expensive test rig or a datalogging scope. :/
On the bright side if you put a new one in there and nothing changes,
you then have a spare.

Also, any cracked hoses, especially between the intake rail and MAP
sensor. You will know this when the vehicle refuses to accelerate
well unless you go wide-open throttle. Easy enough to find with a can
of carb cleaner. spray and listen for engine stammer.

With the coil system you have it's important to keep the plugs gapped
identically and clean. one plug out of whack will cause the sister plug
to have problems.

Another thing to be on the lookout for if you have spark problems is
the rail shorting out. I've seen one where the rail arced out internally
and was frying coils. (doubt you have this problem) But it's still worth
knowing. Another reason to keep up with the spark plug maintenance.

--
DougW

Old July 18th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mindy

what was said to me to do here is check the carb throttle sender or more the
throttle body itself.....gummed up and covering the throttles'
sensor......if this doesn't solve the problem then you will have done a job
you should have done antway on the 4.0 ...jeep forces the reburn of stuff
that clogs the sensors at a important junction...

Old July 18th 06, 03:06 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
philthy

try checking the pinion angle it calibrates the tires to the speedo and the
pcm