Cirrus Power Steering Fluid Leak

Old July 27th 06, 04:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
AJ[_3_]

Default Cirrus Power Steering Fluid Leak

I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.

I have a 95 Cirrus with 55K miles
on it, mostly highway miles. It is a New York
car, driven sensibly, well maintained,
and is always kept in a garage.

The other day I went to do some errands
and heard this awful squealing/whining noise
which was amplified when I turned the wheel.

I went to replace the PS fluid, and found
most if not all of it wound up on the floor of the
garage on the middle-left hand side of the car.

What is the likeliehood that is is a simple
hose kit replacement and what should the cost
be? What are the likely alternatives and
their costs?

I don't know of any reasonable mechanics
I can trust, and the dealer, even if they could
be trusted, charge an arm and a leg.

Thanks in advance.

AJ
Old July 27th 06, 05:15 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bob Shuman

You need to identify the source of the leak. PS pump, steering rack, high
pressure hose, cracked reservoir, hole in the hose from reservoir, etc.)

Either crawl under the vehicle and determine this yourself OR ask your
friends and neighbors to find a service center you can trust and take it
there.

Good luck.

Bob

Old July 27th 06, 05:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
AJ[_3_]

Bob Shuman wrote:

> You need to identify the source of the leak. PS pump, steering rack, high
> pressure hose, cracked reservoir, hole in the hose from reservoir, etc.)

I was hoping that if I identified the general location of the
leak it would narrow it down some. I am not looking for a specific
diagnosis per se - I am asking for probabilities.

Thanks for your reply anyways.

Anyone else care to help?

AJ

Old July 27th 06, 06:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
[email protected]

How the hell are we going to know, He said look to see were the leak is.
Christ you lazy ****. How are we going to know. he listed the places to look
to see were the leak is. If its a hose, about $100, a rack $600. holy christ
get off your ass moron. costs depends on the problem and location. you want
a better answer give us more info on were the leak actually is. Oh, and what
general location of the leak have you identified. middle left hand side of
the car, means nothing! it could be dripping from that location under the
car, or flowing along other components to that spot to drop.
Old July 28th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
dtzjread

Bob is right!
The real issue here is that you don't have a mechanic you can trust.
Without that you are destined to getting ripped off, or paying dealer prices
and maybe getting ripped off. Even if you find an honest and capable
mechanic, if you dont trust them then you will feel like you are getting
ripped off. If you have the skills, time and inclination you can fix these
things yourself, or diagnose the problems yourself and then take it to the
garage and have them fix it while you watch (almost all mechanics hate
that).
But it sounds like you dont really want to get PS fluid over yourself, so
the key recommendation is to find a mechanic you can trust. Then keep using
them, treat them well.
As for your puddle of PS fluid - take it to a dealer and pay for it - then
don't rest until you find that special mechanic.

Dominic.
Would it be OK for me to mention the name of the garage I trust?

.com...

Old July 29th 06, 03:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
AJ[_3_]

Since it now appears perfectly clear that
noone in this forum knows English, I will
be bowing out now.

AJ

dtzjread wrote:

> Bob is right!
> The real issue here is that you don't have a mechanic you can trust.
> Without that you are destined to getting ripped off, or paying dealer prices
> and maybe getting ripped off. Even if you find an honest and capable
> mechanic, if you dont trust them then you will feel like you are getting
> ripped off. If you have the skills, time and inclination you can fix these
> things yourself, or diagnose the problems yourself and then take it to the
> garage and have them fix it while you watch (almost all mechanics hate
> that).
> But it sounds like you dont really want to get PS fluid over yourself, so
> the key recommendation is to find a mechanic you can trust. Then keep using
> them, treat them well.
> As for your puddle of PS fluid - take it to a dealer and pay for it - then
> don't rest until you find that special mechanic.
>
> Dominic.
> Would it be OK for me to mention the name of the garage I trust?
>

> "Bob Shuman" > wrote in message
> .com...
>
>>You need to identify the source of the leak. PS pump, steering rack, high
>>pressure hose, cracked reservoir, hole in the hose from reservoir, etc.)
>>
>>Either crawl under the vehicle and determine this yourself OR ask your
>>friends and neighbors to find a service center you can trust and take it
>>there.
>>
>>Good luck.
>>
>> Bob
>>
>>"AJ" > wrote in message
>>
>>>I'd greatly appreciate any feedback.
>>>
>>>I have a 95 Cirrus with 55K miles
>>>on it, mostly highway miles. It is a New York
>>>car, driven sensibly, well maintained,
>>>and is always kept in a garage.
>>>
>>>The other day I went to do some errands
>>>and heard this awful squealing/whining noise
>>>which was amplified when I turned the wheel.
>>>
>>>I went to replace the PS fluid, and found
>>>most if not all of it wound up on the floor of the
>>>garage on the middle-left hand side of the car.
>>>
>>>What is the likeliehood that is is a simple
>>>hose kit replacement and what should the cost
>>>be? What are the likely alternatives and
>>>their costs?
>>>
>>>I don't know of any reasonable mechanics
>>>I can trust, and the dealer, even if they could
>>>be trusted, charge an arm and a leg.
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>>
>>>AJ

Power Steering Fluid vs Slick 50? Barbara Harris Technology 13 March 15th 06 03:37 PM
Ford F150 Power steering unit leak bingolov 4x4 2 June 15th 05 03:54 AM
Pwr Steering Fluid Leak D Jeep 5 May 28th 05 03:55 PM
power steering fluid type? Gilbert M. Kowie BMW 6 December 28th 04 09:03 PM
Power steering leak Ed VW water cooled 2 December 4th 04 11:46 PM