Steering Issues

Old April 30th 06, 06:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Steering Issues

I have a 97 4.0 Wrangler with a 4 inch suspension lift and a 2 inch
body lift. It has had a little play in the steering since I acquired
it, but the play is significantly more pronounced within the last week.
Another issue that has also occurred in the last week is that when
turning to the left, I can only crank the wheel about 2/3 of the way.
The wheel is not hitting the stop, but I can't crank it any further. I
still appear to have the full turning radius on the right hand side. I
noticed the problem when making a u-turn.

While someone was turning the wheel, I got underneath the Jeep and
everything appeared to look tight to the steering box. I am guessing my
steering box is shot, but wanted to see if anyone had another diagnosis
before going down that path.

Thanks

Old April 30th 06, 02:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

First of all, what size rubber do you have on it? Big tires throw around
the steering components like they're not there. Secondly, I'd get rid of
the 2" body lift. I hate body lifts period, but if you have to have one,
1" is plenty. It won't affect your current issue, but I'm throwing in my
opinion 'cause I can.

Sounds like your steering wheel might be 360 deg. out. Adjust your drag
link to give it the same number of turns per side. Check your tire
balance then re-check it. Check your trackbar and tierod for play, with
the front end off the ground. Check the torque on these. Once everything
is perfect, you might try a new steering stabilizer, but if you do that
first, you may just mask all of the other issues.

Who did your lift? A poorly adjusted drag link is a rookie mistake.

tw
2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase')
A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton
capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II.

Old April 30th 06, 03:06 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Assuming your steering shaft between the steering wheel and the box is OK,
that would be my guess as well. Don't drive it until you get it fixed.

oups.com...

Old May 1st 06, 05:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Check to be sure that the steering box is tightly bolted down. I had one
start to come loose on a Dodge Dart once. It made handling downright
weird, but after we got an air wrench to tighten things up, everything
was fine until the car was destroyed a few years later by an uninsured
driver.

Best Regards,

DAve

Old May 1st 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Dodge Dart is from an era, when steering boxes were made out of real metal.
I wouldn't take an air wrench to one today. A torque wrench and thread
locker would be better.

Earle

"DaveW" > wrote in message
> Check to be sure that the steering box is tightly bolted down. I had one
> start to come loose on a Dodge Dart once. It made handling downright
> weird, but after we got an air wrench to tighten things up, everything
> was fine until the car was destroyed a few years later by an uninsured
> driver.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> DAve
>

> Matt Macchiarolo wrote:
> > Assuming your steering shaft between the steering wheel and the box is

OK,
> > that would be my guess as well. Don't drive it until you get it fixed.
> >
> > > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> >> I have a 97 4.0 Wrangler with a 4 inch suspension lift and a 2 inch
> >> body lift. It has had a little play in the steering since I acquired
> >> it, but the play is significantly more pronounced within the last week.
> >> Another issue that has also occurred in the last week is that when
> >> turning to the left, I can only crank the wheel about 2/3 of the way.
> >> The wheel is not hitting the stop, but I can't crank it any further. I
> >> still appear to have the full turning radius on the right hand side. I
> >> noticed the problem when making a u-turn.
> >>
> >> While someone was turning the wheel, I got underneath the Jeep and
> >> everything appeared to look tight to the steering box. I am guessing my
> >> steering box is shot, but wanted to see if anyone had another diagnosis
> >> before going down that path.
> >>
> >> Thanks

91 Golf Needs Adjustable Left Tie Rod you are nuts VW water cooled 7 December 21st 05 07:30 PM
97 Concorde steering issues Chrysler 9 March 20th 05 09:37 PM
528i vs 530i vs 540i USA Versions FSJ BMW 37 January 16th 05 06:38 PM
Cracked Steering Damper Assembly- Be careful Jason 4x4 2 May 19th 04 12:42 PM