99 sw2 backup light switch

Old June 25th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn

Default 99 sw2 backup light switch

Where is this switch located on the manual transmission, and is it a
relatively DIY-friendly repair?

I've checked (and replaced, just in case) the fuse, and checked the
bulbs. So either it's the switch, or the wiring itself. Right?

Thanks for any insight.

-Jamie Duncan

Old July 2nd 06, 07:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
wavy

Do you kind of know what to look for? Do you know what one of these
switches look like?

I had to replace one on my 95 SC2. ( I do not know how much the design
might have changed in 4 years... )

The switch was located on top of the transmission slightly forward of
the brake master cylinder, almost under the battery.

I tested to see if the problem was wiring or switch by removing the
plug from the sensor and shorting out the two connections inside the
plug using a section of paper-clip. When the ignition was turned "on",
both backup lights came on and I knew the problem had to be the backup
switch itself. Using a large wrench I was able to get the switch
loose, then unscrewed the switch from the transmission by hand.

I paid about $12 for the switch at Autozone.

The retaining ears of the plug broke off when I removed it,
unfortunately. But after replacing the switch, the plug has remained
connected to the switch without the retaining ears.

-cheers
WavY