Problems with water!

Old March 24th 06, 11:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Default Problems with water!

My jeep runs well unless it gets wet. If enough water gets splashed up
under the hood it quits and wont start for a couple hours. Also it
won't start in humidity or heavy rain! otherwise everything works well.
What could my problem be?

Old March 24th 06, 11:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Sounds like a problem with..... well water getting somewhere it does not
belong

What year / make / model / engine are you talking here? A little water in
a distributor cap will do that.

ups.com...

Old March 24th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Many times you'll find an really old time mechanic would have stuck
a pin in the coil wire to make an easy connection to a timing
light/oscilloscope. The hole's too small to see, but if you feel it with
your hand, it's feel you, just make sure your pecker's not with an half
an inch of the fender.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 24th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

You likely have a cracked distributor cap.

The wires could be leaking too. I check the wires by putting a spray
mist of water on them in the dark. If leaky you will get a good light
show.

When the distributor gets splashed with water, it gets massive amounts
of condensation inside it or splash up through the advance linkage
hole. You can open it up and spray it down with WD40, shake it out and
away you go again. I never go on the trail without WD40. One spray is
good for the day. It does a great Water Displacing job, even if it took
'em 40 tries to get it right!

I had a rubber boot off a Ford 6 on mine for a while. That stopped the
splash from hitting so no condensation happened.

Not starting in the damp means the distributor cap is really bad or
cracked usually.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old March 25th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

> What year / make / model / engine are you talking here? A little water
> in a distributor cap will do that.

If it's a Jeepster, 67 to about 74 with a 225 or a weak little 4 banger
Probably plug wires, start the engine at night and mist the wires, cap,
coil, etc, with a windex bottle of water, and watch for arcs.

--
Stupendous Man,

Old March 25th 06, 12:09 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:
> Many times you'll find an really old time mechanic would have stuck
> a pin in the coil wire to make an easy connection to a timing
> light/oscilloscope. The hole's too small to see, but if you feel it with
> your hand, it's feel you, just make sure your pecker's not with an half
> an inch of the fender.

OH SURE.. YOU JUST HAD TO MENTION THAT!!!
Just as that memory had finally faded into obscurity.

What's next.. a discussion of cattle fencers and ****in on a fenceposts?

--
DougW

Old March 25th 06, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Doug,
That little learning experience sure taught me to double check my
red, green dyslexic problem. At to least to ground the other hand before
I pick up the light!
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old March 25th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

:
: If it's a Jeepster, 67 to about 74 with a 225 or a weak little 4 banger
: Probably plug wires, start the engine at night and mist the wires, cap,
: coil, etc, with a windex bottle of water, and watch for arcs.
:

If it's anything with a Chebby 350 stuffed in it's face, it's prolly a wet
distributor cap.

Kate

Old March 25th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

"L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" > wrote in message
: Many times you'll find an really old time mechanic would have stuck
: a pin in the coil wire to make an easy connection to a timing
: light/oscilloscope. The hole's too small to see, but if you feel it with
: your hand, it's feel you, just make sure your pecker's not with an half
: an inch of the fender.
:

YIKES!
That the voice of experience talkin Bill?

Old March 25th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

Hi Katie,
Nope, that was my Stealership's mechanic that had worked on my new
'68 CJ-5 under warranty. My sensors were before the clip on, but I still
I took the time to inserted the pickup adapters to the cap, center and
first plug. Probably remembering having to pull my wife out of the water
that covered Manchester Ave., where I lived in Cardiff by the Sea,
California. One coil wire and I was back to making my fan sound like an
motorboat, again.
God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/