2002 S-10 4.3 - one lifter tapping on startup - WTF?

Old December 15th 04, 05:31 PM

Default 2002 S-10 4.3 - one lifter tapping on startup - WTF?

On Sat, 4 Dec 2004, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

>>Now at 31k miles, it's not any worse or better. Fairly quiet on the
>>initial cold start, no noise under normal operation, but one lifter clacks
>>like hell after the engine has been fully warmed-up then restarted after a
>>15 minute hot soak. It suddenly gets quiet after 30-45 seconds of
>>operation.

>You must be using ****-poor oil filters, the cheapo ones (like the Fram's)
>have poor anti-drainback valves, and when the engine is hot and you shut
>it down, the oil all runs back into the pan. Try a Purolator and see if the
>problem goes away.

Over the three years that I've owned the truck, I've run Purolator, AC
Delco, Fram, and Autozone's Proline. No difference in behavior with these
filters, and they've all been completely full of oil when it comes time to
change the oil.

RM
Old December 16th 04, 01:54 AM
GMC Gremlin

And make sure to never wipe a gun down with oil... acid-etched finger marks
are a good thing.

GMC Gremlin

.. .

Old December 16th 04, 02:00 AM
Nate Nagel

Cleaning really dirty stuff *too fast* is bad...

now if the engine looks clean inside (pull a valve cover) go for it, but
if it's all sludgy and nasty you are rolling the dice with an engine
flush... take it easy with the harsh stuff... maybe try switching to a
high detergent oil like Rotella or something instead of the flush

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old December 21st 04, 06:00 PM
veeman

"Nate Nagel3" wrote:
> Cleaning really dirty stuff *too fast* is bad...
>
> now if the engine looks clean inside (pull a valve cover) go
> for it, but
> if it's all sludgy and nasty you are rolling the dice with an
> engine
> flush... take it easy with the harsh stuff... maybe try
> switching to a
> high detergent oil like Rotella or something instead of the
> flush
>
> nate
>
> GMC Gremlin wrote:
>
> > Yes, cleaning stuff is bad. That's why I never clean my

> underwear. The skid
> > marks in my shorts add to the longevity.
> > You shouldn't clean .22 rifles either, it will destroy the

> accuracy.
> >
> > GMC Gremlin
> >
> > "« Paul »" &lt;"stayp"@notsuoh .rr.moc&gt; wrote in message
> >

> &nbsp;>>KU wrote:
> &nbsp;>>
> &nbsp;&nbsp;>>>anyone ever use diesel fuel as engine flush
> before changing oil? Someone
> &nbsp;&nbsp;>>>told me to try it. I use engine flush on every
> oil change. He's a farmer
> >
> > and
> >

> &nbsp;&nbsp;>>>uses diesel fuel to flush every engine he owns
> before an oil change.
> >
> > Just
> >

> &nbsp;&nbsp;>>>curious. Btw, my S-10 has a pinging and
> knocking too, but I think its
> >
> > just
> >

> &nbsp;&nbsp;>>>piston slap, it sounds just like a 6 Liter when
> you first start it till
> >
> > it
> >

> &nbsp;&nbsp;>>>warms up.
> &nbsp;>>
> &nbsp;>>IMO, it's a good way to destroy an engine.
> &nbsp;>>As long as you change oil regularly, there should be
> no need for
> &nbsp;>>any sort of flush... waste of time an money not to
> mention
> &nbsp;>>contributing to excessive engine wear and clogging up
> oil passages.
> >

> --
> replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
> http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

I also have a 2002 chevy S-10 W/ 4.3. I work for an Electrical
Contrator that purchase hundreds of S-1O’S & Astro Vans. The only
problem we here regarding these Vehicals are the brakes ( front ). The
GM factory brakes and rotors seem to be of low quality. As far as the
4.3 its Bullet-proof.

Topic URL: http://www.AutoForumz.com/Chevrolet-...pict91960.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.AutoForumz.com/eform.php?p=434901

puff of white smoke on inital startup ? Steve Sears Audi 6 November 14th 04 05:47 PM
2002 Audi S8 - A6 Questions LIW Audi 2 November 14th 04 05:38 PM
2002 Jetta GLS MB VW water cooled 35 October 24th 04 11:45 PM