Will switching from Synthetic to Dyno oil harm my engine?

Old December 21st 04, 04:18 PM
Lawrence Glickman

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:15:01 -0700, "Michael Pardee"
> wrote:

>"aarcuda69062" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Don't know about the Chevron but the Havoline, yeesh, what tar!
>> And when I say tar, I mean experience from being inside engines
>> that has had it's oil changed religiously every 3K miles and the
>> owners have used Havoline exclusively since the vehicle was new.
>>

>FWIW, that is the message I get from my gear-head younger brother. He tells
>me it leaves crusty carbon that just won't dissolve with anything throughout
>engines.
>
>Mike

Ford/Lincoln/Mercury recommend Valvoline in 5W020 weight. In order to
keep the vehicle in warranty. I am thinking if I put anything -else-
in there besides what they recommend, I've just tossed my warranty out
the window. Thus my reluctance to switch to synthetic.

Lg

Old December 21st 04, 04:22 PM
Michael Pardee

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Rob Munach wrote:
>
>> AMSOIL

> Right on cue, here we go with Scamsoil again...

My $.02 worth... I have never used Amsoil but it is a mainstream product.
Not magic, I'm sure, but at least some independent references give their
products high ratings. (See, for example,
http://www.autoeducation.com/autosho...l-change-7.htm for a comparison
of oil filters.) My trusted guys at the local NAPA recommend AMSOIL oil, but
I've been using Mobil 1 currently.

Other than the proselytizing, what is your complaint with AMSOIL?

Mike

Old December 21st 04, 04:28 PM
Michael Pardee

"Rob Munach" > wrote in message
> Daniel J. Stern wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Michael Pardee wrote:
>>

>>>In older cars, especially those with an uncertain oil change history or
>>>lots of hours in hot environments (like Arizona, for example), switching
>>>from dino to synthetic can dissolve deposits that old and hardened seals
>>>were depending on. The affected seals can then leak

>> This nonsense has been around since the advent of synthetic auto engine
>> oil three decades ago. It wasn't true then, and it still isn't.
>>

>>>In my mind, the main value in synthetic is the much higher detergency.

>> The only place synthetic oils have "higher detergency" is...in your mind.
>>

> Nonsense. Put AMSOIL in an sludged up motor and see what happens.
>
> --
> Rob Munach, PE
> Excel Engineering
> PO Box 1264
> Carrboro, NC 27510

I have changed a few of my cars from regularly changed dino to synthetic or
(in the case of my 220K mile turbo Volvo) to synthetic blend. I do one
change with a single quart of synthetic added to the rest of the usual
Valvoline 5W-30, and change to synthetic 1000 miles later. The oil always
comes out opaque black after 1K miles... but maybe the higher detergency is
a myth. If you are wondering whether the changes were regular enough,
consider that the original turbo has been on the Volvo for 20 years, while
most of the Volvo gurus say 100 - 150K is the life expectancy.

Mike

Old December 21st 04, 04:49 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Michael Pardee wrote:

> > Right on cue, here we go with Scamsoil again...

> My $.02 worth... I have never used Amsoil but it is a mainstream product.

Naw, it isn't.

> Not magic, I'm sure, but at least some independent references give their
> products high ratings. (See, for example,
> http://www.autoeducation.com/autosho...l-change-7.htm for a comparison
> of oil filters.)

We know nothing about how "independent" this source is.

> My trusted guys at the local NAPA recommend AMSOIL oil,

....and will be happy to sell it to you, I'm sure.

> Other than the proselytizing, what is your complaint with AMSOIL?

Fuhgeddaboudit. Go hit googlegroups.

DS
Old December 21st 04, 04:50 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Michael Pardee wrote:

> > Don't know about the Chevron but the Havoline, yeesh, what tar! And
> > when I say tar, I mean experience from being inside engines that has
> > had it's oil changed religiously every 3K miles and the owners have
> > used Havoline exclusively since the vehicle was new.

> FWIW, that is the message I get from my gear-head younger brother. He
> tells me it leaves crusty carbon that just won't dissolve with anything
> throughout engines.

Latest inductee into the "bad oil of the year" club, eh? We've heard the
same ghost stories about Pennzoil, Quaker State, and probably every other
major brand at one time or another...
Old December 21st 04, 04:53 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Michael Pardee wrote:

> I have never used Amsoil but it is a mainstream product.
> Not magic, I'm sure, but at least some independent references give their
> products high ratings. (See, for example,
> http://www.autoeducation.com/autosho...l-change-7.htm

Here's some of the text of the "high rating" Scamsoil filters are given by
your "independent reference":

" The AMSOIL company recommends changing their filters at 12,500 mile or 6
month increments. Based on their numbers, this seems reasonable. They have
better capacity and stronger construction which should allow them to
achieve longer change intervals. Since AMSOIL filters have been
recommended for these intervals for about 20 years, it seems reasonable
that they know what they're talking about."

Old December 21st 04, 05:31 PM
Philip

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Philip wrote:
>
>> Ever wonder why synthetics have not caught on in the diesel arena?

> They have.

Have not.

Rotella T, Delo-400, Mobil Delvac ... those are your MAINSTREAM diesel oils.
Just visit any truck stop to see for yourself. Rotella Synthetic 5w-40 is
very rare in truck stops as is Delvac 1300.
--

- Philip

Old December 21st 04, 05:55 PM
Michael Pardee

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Michael Pardee wrote:
>> Other than the proselytizing, what is your complaint with AMSOIL?

> Fuhgeddaboudit. Go hit googlegroups.
>
> DS

Google will get me every rumor and troll and crackpot idea around. That was
the complaint you have with my Havoline report, although my brother is *way*
up on my automotive source list.

I respect your opinion more than those of random hits. Really!

Mike

Old December 21st 04, 05:58 PM
Michael Pardee

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Michael Pardee wrote:
>
>> I have never used Amsoil but it is a mainstream product.
>> Not magic, I'm sure, but at least some independent references give their
>> products high ratings. (See, for example,
>> http://www.autoeducation.com/autosho...l-change-7.htm

> Here's some of the text of the "high rating" Scamsoil filters are given by
> your "independent reference":
>
> " The AMSOIL company recommends changing their filters at 12,500 mile or 6
> month increments. Based on their numbers, this seems reasonable. They have
> better capacity and stronger construction which should allow them to
> achieve longer change intervals. Since AMSOIL filters have been
> recommended for these intervals for about 20 years, it seems reasonable
> that they know what they're talking about."

Yep - and the numbers they were talking about were in the preceding text.
"For those of you who just want to know what's best, here's a breakdown of
the top 3, in my opinion. Mobil 1, Pure 1 and AMSOIL provide the greatest
filtration efficiency in the tests I've seen. Mobil 1 and Pure 1 both
achieved 93% overall filtration efficiency on the SAE HS806 test. AMSOIL
scored a 94%."

If AMSOIL *does* test well, can't you accept that?

Mike

Old December 21st 04, 07:08 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Michael Pardee wrote:

> >> Other than the proselytizing, what is your complaint with AMSOIL?

> > Fuhgeddaboudit. Go hit googlegroups.

> Google will get me every rumor and troll and crackpot idea around. That
> was the complaint you have with my Havoline report, although my brother
> is *way* up on my automotive source list. I respect your opinion more
> than those of random hits. Really!

I appreciate that; I meant see *my* previous answers to your question, via
Googlegroups.