antenna Golf III GL

Old July 11th 10, 10:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
zar[_2_]

Default antenna Golf III GL

Hello to all,
I am trying to find instructions of how to remove
and install a new driver's side fender antenna.
Tried vwvortex but no luck unless i missed it....
Pls note this is a Golf III (first year late 1992)
Old July 15th 10, 12:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
zar[_2_]

Anyone?
Old July 26th 10, 06:59 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
tonyw

On Jul 14, 4:37*pm, zar > wrote:
> Anyone?

See if this works, it's from the Bentley manual for an A2 (1990 Golf)
but might have clues for A3 model. Verbatim from the manual:

"To replace a fender-mounted antenna, remove the instrument cluster
and remove the wheel house liner. Working from the engine compartment,
remove the plenum drip tray and pull the antenna cable and its grommet
out of the firewall. Note the cable routing in the foam tube behind
the instrument cluster and reinstall in the same way, to make sure
that it does not crimp any vacuum hoses after installation. Remove the
antenna down into the wheelhouse, and remove it from the mounting
bracket. When installing the antenna, use multi-purpose grease on the
mounting hole and the nut to reduce rusting".

Seems to me you might be able to skip the step about removing the
instrument cluster. If you can slide the radio out you can pull the
antenna cable out from the back of the radio. Then if you remove the
cover panels from under the dash above your shins when in a driving
position, you should be able to work the antenna cable out on removal
and back into place on re-installation.

Old July 26th 10, 08:38 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
zar[_2_]

tonyw wrote:
> On Jul 14, 4:37 pm, zar > wrote:
>> Anyone?

> See if this works, it's from the Bentley manual for an A2 (1990 Golf)
> but might have clues for A3 model. Verbatim from the manual:
>
> "To replace a fender-mounted antenna, remove the instrument cluster
> and remove the wheel house liner. Working from the engine compartment,
> remove the plenum drip tray and pull the antenna cable and its grommet
> out of the firewall. Note the cable routing in the foam tube behind
> the instrument cluster and reinstall in the same way, to make sure
> that it does not crimp any vacuum hoses after installation. Remove the
> antenna down into the wheelhouse, and remove it from the mounting
> bracket. When installing the antenna, use multi-purpose grease on the
> mounting hole and the nut to reduce rusting".
>
> Seems to me you might be able to skip the step about removing the
> instrument cluster. If you can slide the radio out you can pull the
> antenna cable out from the back of the radio. Then if you remove the
> cover panels from under the dash above your shins when in a driving
> position, you should be able to work the antenna cable out on removal
> and back into place on re-installation.

Thanks for the info,
I was hoping I didn't have too change the wiring from the antenna to the
radio.
From this it seems it is one part.

http://www.antennamastsrus.com/VW/200035503E%201.1.jpg

I wonder if I cut the wire of the old antenna and tape to it the end of
the new antenna wire
and pull it to back of the radio...if this will work

I also need a new

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...7/0/mast3.jpg&
imgrefurl=http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php%3Ft%3D269741&usg=__eS9J39uyCeVOwzpR OwbOtcD9bWg=&h=
600&w=800&sz=83&hl=en&start=0&tbnid=pCS3e_Pl2oY7PM :&tbnh=175&tbnw=250&prev=/
images%3Fq%3Dfender%2Bmounted%2Bantenna%2Bgolf%2B3 %26hl%3Den%26sa%3DX%26prmdo%
3D1%26biw%3D1045%26bih%3D472%26tbs%3Disch:1&itbs=1 &iact=hc&vpx=409&vpy=98&dur=236&hovh=
194&hovw=259&tx=166&ty=96&ei=GjtNTPvUKpSKOIj5vJYD& page=1&ndsp=8&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

Thanks again
Old July 26th 10, 08:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
zar[_2_]

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...w=1045&bih=501
Old July 26th 10, 12:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
PeterD

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 10:38:12 +0300, zar > wrote:

>I wonder if I cut the wire of the old antenna and tape to it the end of
>the new antenna wire and pull it to back of the radio...if this will work

This often works, and is what most shops do. You need to be careful
when taping to not make the size any larger than necessary. What I do
is tape a piece of strong cord on the old wire (which I cut off) pull
the cord through, then pull the new wire with the cord. REason is that
the cord to new wire junction can be tighter, stronger and more
compact than a wire to wire tape job.

Old July 26th 10, 09:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
zar[_2_]

PeterD wrote:
> This often works, and is what most shops do. You need to be careful
> when taping to not make the size any larger than necessary. What I do
> is tape a piece of strong cord on the old wire (which I cut off) pull
> the cord through, then pull the new wire with the cord. REason is that
> the cord to new wire junction can be tighter, stronger and more
> compact than a wire to wire tape job.

Thank You, good advise