Comments on Innova 3100 OBD II reader?

Old December 31st 08, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
tonyw

Default Comments on Innova 3100 OBD II reader?

Hi. Any comments on the Innova 3100 OBD II reader for working on VW's?
Canadian Tire have it on sale at $89 (regular $199 CDN). I was
thinking of getting one.

Currently our cars are an '85 Golf and a '90 Golf, both pre-OBD. But
we're looking to replace the '85 soon and an OBD II reader would be
handy for diagnosis. Will the Innova 3100 read all the VW codes?

Further, I was talking to a former VW service tech and he mentioned
the VW mechanics use a $200 piece of software. Now I'm not sure if he
was talking about the software that comes with the OBD reader or
something separate. Can someone elaborate? Will I need VW specific
software in addition to the physical OBD reader?

I'll buy the Bentley manual for whatever replacement car we get, are
the codes explained in there?

thanks,

Old December 31st 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Not sure about the Innova 3100 and if it can do anything else besides read
engine and transmission codes.
This would make it limited and I would prefer if you purchased something a
little more robust.
Buy from here http://ross-tech.com/ (which requires a computer or other
device)
will sell you the preferred adapter for VWs. It is an investment that you
can sell when you need to sell it.

There are 'VW' clones you can buy off of ebay but they are limited as to
what they can do. The newest VWs supposedly require CAN enabled scanners.
For under $20 (ebay) you could try one of these out along with the ross-tech
software to see if things work well.
Or these 'VW' stand-alone ebay items #..........
380093185753
120354755588 (CAN)
200293332319
110331458950

It all depends on what you want to do though. If you are only reading codes
then there are probably some cheaper code readers out there.
Now here is just a 'VW' code reader 370138041799 ($28 shipped)

Those generic readers are also limited as to what they can do on the VWs.
Read info here
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/faq_1.html#1.1

"1.10 What's the difference between VAG-COM and an OBD-II Scan-Tool?
OBD-II is a government mandated diagnostic protocol that is primarily aimed
at diagnosing emissions-related problems. An OBD-II scan tool will work in
many different brands of cars. VAG-COM uses VW's proprietary diagnostic
protocol and will only work in VW/Audi vehicles. Although you can use an
OBD-II Scan Tool in an OBD-II compliant (1996 or newer) VW or Audi, an
OBD-II Scan Tool can only talk to the engine, not the numerous other
"intelligent" systems in the car. Want to reprogram your central locks or
your Radio? Diagnose a problem with your ABS, Airbags, or Automatic
Transmission? Re-align your Immobilizer after swapping ECU's? Reset your
Service Reminder Indicators? Communicate with a pre-1996 model (not OBD-II
compliant) car? An OBD-II Scan-Tool can't do any of these things."

If you have a laptop go with either the ross-tech adapter or a clone if you
are not buying a very new VW.
JMHO
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old January 1st 09, 02:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
tonyw

On Dec 31, 3:01*pm, "dave AKA vwdoc1" >
wrote:
> This would make it limited and I would prefer if you purchased something a
> little more robust. Buy from herehttp://ross-tech.com/*(which requires a computer or other
> device) will sell you the preferred adapter for VWs. *It is an investment that you
> can sell when you need to sell it.

Hi Dave,
Thanks for the detailed response. I agree, I'll save up for the VAG-
COM system instead. Doing the work myself will pay for the system in
the first year if not sooner.

I'm intrigued also that the VAG-COM system maybe able to connect to
my 1990 Golf with the 2X2 adapter.

-Tony
Old January 1st 09, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

I don't think that the regular Golf has the ability to be scanned. Maybe
the GTI or maybe a California VW which probably blink out codes. Does your
Golf have the 2x2 connections?
The 90- Passats could be hooked up though.

I could be wrong though! ;-)
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

Old January 9th 09, 07:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Timothy J. Lee

In article >,
tonyw > wrote:
>Hi. Any comments on the Innova 3100 OBD II reader for working on VW's?

A generic OBD-II reader will read the generic codes that will be shown
when a check engine light turns on in an OBD-II equipped car (since about
the mid-1990s). But there are some non-engine/emissions related VW-specific
codes that can only be read with a VW-specific code reader (e.g. the
VW tool or the Ross-Tech VAG-COM software).

Timothy J. Lee

Comments Please: BryanUT VW air cooled 1 November 7th 06 03:01 PM
Comments on '97 through '02 SL1 & SL2? Bob Shuman Saturn 5 May 23rd 06 05:14 AM
X3 comments??? mike BMW 20 December 3rd 04 01:40 AM