The NHTSA strikes again!

Old July 13th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

Default The NHTSA strikes again!

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/07/11/...all/index.html

Toyota's totally bizarre recall
Why would Toyota issue a recall designed to make vehicles less safe?

<...>

The recall, announced Monday, is meant to make Tundras comply with a set
of safety regulations. The rules say that vehicles built after 2002 must
have a child-seat anchor system known as LATCH in the front seat if they
also have a front-seat airbag shut-off switch.

The Tundras in question were built with an airbag shut-off switch but not
the LATCH system.

The solution? Spend lots of money and inconvenience customers...to remove
the airbag shut-off switch.

The move not only doesn't enhance the safety of these vehicles, it
actually makes the vehicles unsafe for small children riding in the front
seat.

Those shut-off switches exist because airbags can injure and even kill
small children even in otherwise minor crashes.

Meanwhile, even without a LATCH system (which stands for lower anchorages
and tethers for children), parents can still install safety seats using
seatbelts.

Toyota originally discovered the compliance issue and, in a letter to the
National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) in July 2005, the
company asked regulators to let them to ignore it as "inconsequential to
safety."

NHTSA denied that petition. So Toyota asked NHTSA to reconsider, arguing
that the solution would be worse than the problem.

<...>

In its final decision. published on June 28, 2006, NHTSA pointed out that
the method a manufacturer might choose to remedy a compliance issue is
not a determining factor when deciding that it must be fixed, so Toyota's
warning made no difference.

<...>

Yet another example of federal buracrat logic to protect people from
themselves.

Old July 13th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

"Brent P" > wrote in message
news

> http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/07/11/...all/index.html
>
> Toyota's totally bizarre recall
> Why would Toyota issue a recall designed to make vehicles less safe?
>
> <...>

What's next? I suppose the NHTSA will force a recall to remove seatbelts on
vehicles with airbags as the airbags are designed to protect UNbelted
vehicle occupants?

This was a Toyota screw-up to begin with. Latch systems are simple and
cheap to implement, if done so in the design phase. But when Toyota found
the screw-up, the NHTSA made it MUCH worse. -Dave

Old July 13th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
morticide

Mike T. wrote:
> "Brent P" > wrote in message
> news
> >
> > http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/07/11/...all/index.html
> >
> > Toyota's totally bizarre recall
> > Why would Toyota issue a recall designed to make vehicles less safe?
> >
> > <...>

> What's next? I suppose the NHTSA will force a recall to remove seatbelts on
> vehicles with airbags as the airbags are designed to protect UNbelted
> vehicle occupants?
>
> This was a Toyota screw-up to begin with. Latch systems are simple and
> cheap to implement, if done so in the design phase. But when Toyota found
> the screw-up, the NHTSA made it MUCH worse. -Dave

TOYOTA stands for "Throw Out Your Old Trash Again." Proven by this
recall.

Old July 13th 06, 07:20 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

> Mike T. said in rec.autos.driving:
> This was a Toyota screw-up to begin with. Latch systems are simple and
> cheap to implement, if done so in the design phase. But when Toyota found
> the screw-up, the NHTSA made it MUCH worse.

Yep. That's our tax dollar at work for you. These trucks are perfectly
fine, yet the all powerful nanny-government run by Laura Bush murdered
her boyriend types has to force and unnecessary repair that, IMO, will
make the truck more dangerous, not less.

--
"I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State.
My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on
Old July 13th 06, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

>> What's next? I suppose the NHTSA will force a recall to remove seatbelts
>> on vehicles with airbags as the airbags are designed to protect UNbelted
>> vehicle occupants?
>>
>> This was a Toyota screw-up to begin with. Latch systems are simple and
>> cheap to implement, if done so in the design phase. But when Toyota
>> found the screw-up, the NHTSA made it MUCH worse. -Dave

> Yup. They should just have kept quiet.
>

> Ulf

I don't know about that. Seems to me that Toyota is doing everything right.
OK, so they goofed in the design phase (forgot the LATCH). But they fessed
up, and were trying hard to work with the NHTSA to make it right. In
contrast, they could have just tried to push it under the rug, but then the
NHTSA would have found out eventually. Imagine all Toyota trucks being
crushed because they have no LATCH on them. -Dave

Old July 13th 06, 09:39 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
gpsman

Brent P wrote: <brevity snip>
> http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/07/11/...all/index.html
>
> Toyota's totally bizarre recall
> Why would Toyota issue a recall designed to make vehicles less safe?

The article spells out in terms almost impossibe to confuse why the
recall was issued. Short answer: They had to.

> <...>
>
> The recall, announced Monday, is meant to make Tundras comply with a set
> of safety regulations. The rules say that vehicles built after 2002 must
> have a child-seat anchor system known as LATCH in the front seat if they
> also have a front-seat airbag shut-off switch.
>
> The Tundras in question were built with an airbag shut-off switch but not
> the LATCH system.
>
> Those shut-off switches exist because airbags can injure and even kill
> small children even in otherwise minor crashes.

So who cares? So don't put small children in the front seat... or
don't submit your vehicle to recall.

> Yet another example of federal buracrat logic to protect people from
> themselves.

No, but I understand you might find it a foreign concept that everybody
play by the same rules. That's kinda the way federal regulations work;
it may be a stupid regulation, but the stupidity applies to all.

But this is a non-issue. The Feds ain't gonna force owners to submit
their vehicle to be altered.

All Toyota has to do is send out 160,000 notices... just as any other
manufacturer would have to do. End of story.
-----

- gpsman

Old July 14th 06, 06:46 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Arif Khokar

Mike T. wrote:

> I don't know about that. Seems to me that Toyota is doing everything right.
> OK, so they goofed in the design phase (forgot the LATCH). But they fessed
> up, and were trying hard to work with the NHTSA to make it right. In
> contrast, they could have just tried to push it under the rug, but then the
> NHTSA would have found out eventually. Imagine all Toyota trucks being
> crushed because they have no LATCH on them.

Toyota has done stuff like this before. A year ago, they tried to file
a petition for inconsequential noncompliance because the DRLs were
mounted too high on one of their SUV models. Fortunately, the NHTSA
rejected their petition, so they ended up disabling the DRLs.
Old July 14th 06, 01:08 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Mike T.

"Arif Khokar" > wrote in message
> Mike T. wrote:
>
>> I don't know about that. Seems to me that Toyota is doing everything
>> right. OK, so they goofed in the design phase (forgot the LATCH). But
>> they fessed up, and were trying hard to work with the NHTSA to make it
>> right. In contrast, they could have just tried to push it under the rug,
>> but then the NHTSA would have found out eventually. Imagine all Toyota
>> trucks being crushed because they have no LATCH on them.

> Toyota has done stuff like this before. A year ago, they tried to file a
> petition for inconsequential noncompliance because the DRLs were mounted
> too high on one of their SUV models. Fortunately, the NHTSA rejected
> their petition, so they ended up disabling the DRLs.

Ummmm, you think that's a GOOD thing, I take it? Damn, the way I read it,
that's yet another example of how the NHTSA is spending our money to degrade
safety. If DRLs are so good, why do we want them disabled? -Dave

Old July 14th 06, 01:27 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article ews.net>, Mike T. wrote:

> Ummmm, you think that's a GOOD thing, I take it? Damn, the way I read it,
> that's yet another example of how the NHTSA is spending our money to degrade
> safety. If DRLs are so good, why do we want them disabled? -Dave

DRLs are not good. The drawbacks outweigh any benefit and once one gets
into the real data there is nothing to show any benefit what so ever.

Old July 14th 06, 01:28 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Brent P wrote:
> In article ews.net>, Mike T. wrote:
>
>> Ummmm, you think that's a GOOD thing, I take it? Damn, the way I read it,
>> that's yet another example of how the NHTSA is spending our money to degrade
>> safety. If DRLs are so good, why do we want them disabled? -Dave

> DRLs are not good. The drawbacks outweigh any benefit and once one gets
> into the real data there is nothing to show any benefit what so ever.

Outside of nations that have significant portions of the their population
so far north as to have limited or no daylight 6 months out of the year...