"Fifth Gear" TV show.

Old July 21st 04, 01:17 AM
Synapse Syndrome

"George Graves" > wrote in message
news:gmgravesnos-> >

> > Has anybody noticed how fond Jeremy Clarkson is of Alfas? I never

realised
> > that the 156 was rated as subzero on the cool wall until just now.
> > http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/coolwall/
> >
> > ss.

> I've read that he doesn't like Italian cars much at all, so I'm not
> really surprised.

???
No. He likes Italian cars very much. He loves Alfas. He used to have one.
Subzero on the cool wall is the greatest accolade.

ss.

Old July 21st 04, 07:25 AM
George Graves

In article >,
"Synapse Syndrome" > wrote:

> "George Graves" > wrote in message
> news:gmgravesnos-> >
> > >
> > > Has anybody noticed how fond Jeremy Clarkson is of Alfas? I never

> realised
> > > that the 156 was rated as subzero on the cool wall until just now.
> > > http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/coolwall/
> > >
> > > ss.

> > I've read that he doesn't like Italian cars much at all, so I'm not
> > really surprised.
> >

> ???
> No. He likes Italian cars very much. He loves Alfas. He used to have one.
> Subzero on the cool wall is the greatest accolade.
>
> ss.

I was being facetious as in sarcastic. I meant to put a smiley there,
but an incoming phone call derailed my narrow-gauge mind and it got
posted without it!

--
George Graves
------------------

Bush is a poor leader because he isn't very smart.
What's Kerry's excuse gonna be?
Old July 21st 04, 12:40 PM
Pete

On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:49:45 +0100, "Synapse Syndrome"
>, wrote:

>Has anybody noticed how fond Jeremy Clarkson is of Alfas? I never realised
>that the 156 was rated as subzero on the cool wall until just now.
>http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/coolwall/
>
>ss.

This would be why Mr Clarkson advocated moving to a derelict house in an
ex-minig village in N Yorks, so as to be able to afford a new-style 166 :-)

Pete
--

156 2.0 TS (2001) - Proteo Rosso (his)
147 2.0 TS (2002) - Gem Green (her's)
Old July 21st 04, 12:52 PM
MeatballTurbo

In article >, iowna156
@alfa.com says...
> On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 19:49:45 +0100, "Synapse Syndrome"
> >, wrote:
>

> >Has anybody noticed how fond Jeremy Clarkson is of Alfas? I never realised
> >that the 156 was rated as subzero on the cool wall until just now.
> >http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/coolwall/
> >
> >ss.

> This would be why Mr Clarkson advocated moving to a derelict house in an
> ex-minig village in N Yorks, so as to be able to afford a new-style 166 :-)
>
> Pete

Probably the house he was born in, and is now trying to shift on at a
profit.
--
The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.
http://www.bouncing-czechs.com
Old July 21st 04, 02:09 PM
Colonel Tupperware

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:37:21 +0100, MeatballTurbo
> wrote:

>In article >,
spouted forth into alt.autos.alfa-romeo...
>> Your "Top Gear" show has been repackaged and sold to Speed TV in the USA
>> as "Fifth Gear" and they started showing it here last week.
>>

>We have fifth gear here too, it sounds like you have that.

I watched an episode of Fifth Gear on Discovery H & L last night.
They trashed an Alfa 164 with a LHD Foden artic to demostrate the
crash that is a growing trend on British Motorways.
After being involved in such a crash (where a car creeps past a LHD
artic and then sits in the blind spot just in front of the front axle,
then gets wiped out as the truck pulls out), I found it refreshing
that they gave very good advice to car drivers on how to avoid it
happening.

When it happened to me the car driver got out and accused me of trying
to kill him and his family. The car was stuffed with several
generations of our sub-continental cousins, all wailing and screaming.
Thats probably why he was going so slowly up the hill, due to him
being overloaded.

I informed him that if I had been trying to kill him, then he would,
most assuredly be dead as 44 tonnes of Mercedes driven with intent
would have made a real mess of his Pugrat. As it was, the first time I
saw his car was when it was spinning in front of me on the M6.

He complained bitterly to the Plod who turned up, but they said he
should have been going faster and not to get in the way of trucks in
the future. Good advice I thought. 1 written off Pugrat (probably a
bit smelly after that evening's 'entertainment'). I found a couple of
scratches on the Merc's bumper.

--
ColonelTupperware
spouting ******** on Usenet since 1997
Old July 21st 04, 03:19 PM
Catman

Colonel Tupperware wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 18:37:21 +0100, MeatballTurbo
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,
spouted forth into alt.autos.alfa-romeo...
>>> Your "Top Gear" show has been repackaged and sold to Speed TV in the USA
>>> as "Fifth Gear" and they started showing it here last week.
>>>

>>We have fifth gear here too, it sounds like you have that.
>>

> I watched an episode of Fifth Gear on Discovery H & L last night.
> They trashed an Alfa 164 with a LHD Foden artic to demostrate the
> crash that is a growing trend on British Motorways.
> After being involved in such a crash (where a car creeps past a LHD
> artic and then sits in the blind spot just in front of the front axle,
> then gets wiped out as the truck pulls out), I found it refreshing
> that they gave very good advice to car drivers on how to avoid it
> happening.

Bloody hell. If people overtook properly in the first place, then it
wouldn't be needed. having said that, LHD / foreign reg numbers is one of
the things that I note when driving. At least in the Sprint, a lifesaver
has some appreciable benefit

Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old July 21st 04, 04:50 PM
Ppelectron

>I watched an episode of Fifth Gear on Discovery H & L last night.
>They trashed an Alfa 164 with a LHD Foden artic to demostrate the
>crash that is a growing trend on British Motorways.
>After being involved in such a crash (where a car creeps past a LHD
>artic and then sits in the blind spot just in front of the front axle,
>then gets wiped out as the truck pulls out), I found it refreshing
>that they gave very good advice to car drivers on how to avoid it
>happening.
>
>When it happened to me the car driver got out and accused me of trying
>to kill him and his family. The car was stuffed with several
>generations of our sub-continental cousins, all wailing and screaming.
>Thats probably why he was going so slowly up the hill, due to him
>being overloaded.
>
>I informed him that if I had been trying to kill him, then he would,
>most assuredly be dead as 44 tonnes of Mercedes driven with intent
>would have made a real mess of his Pugrat. As it was, the first time I
>saw his car was when it was spinning in front of me on the M6.
>
>He complained bitterly to the Plod who turned up, but they said he
>should have been going faster and not to get in the way of trucks in
>the future. Good advice I thought. 1 written off Pugrat (probably a
>bit smelly after that evening's 'entertainment'). I found a couple of
>scratches on the Merc's bumper.

It makes me laugh that the police said he should have been going faster. With a
70MPH motorway limit, hidden speed cameras and mobile units on bridges, is it
any wonder that people drive badly? The days of being able to overtake safely
by temporarily increasing speed to over 80 in order to pass lorries have long
gone.
Old July 21st 04, 05:27 PM
Colonel Tupperware

On 21 Jul 2004 15:50:19 GMT, (Ppelectron) wrote:

>>He complained bitterly to the Plod who turned up, but they said he
>>should have been going faster and not to get in the way of trucks in
>>the future. Good advice I thought. 1 written off Pugrat (probably a
>>bit smelly after that evening's 'entertainment'). I found a couple of
>>scratches on the Merc's bumper.
>>

>It makes me laugh that the police said he should have been going faster. With a
>70MPH motorway limit, hidden speed cameras and mobile units on bridges, is it
>any wonder that people drive badly? The days of being able to overtake safely
>by temporarily increasing speed to over 80 in order to pass lorries have long
>gone.

The trucks are only doing a maximum of 56mph.
Travelling at 66 mph will put you past a truck in 3.5 seconds. I am
constantly amazed at the amount of car drivers who want to mix it with
the trucks on motorways by driving between 50 and 60 mph. It is a very
dangerous thing to do.

As for the ones who cant even manage to keep a constant speed at 55,
well, they almost deserve to get driven over.

Many people drive badly because they are not continually tested.
Many people drive badly because their cousin took the test for them.

Most of the _really_ stupid things I see happening on the roads every
day are due to car drivers of non-european extraction. For example,
last Thursday a people carrier full of women on the way to the Mosque
or a similar place was reversing up the A14 because they missed the
split for Cambridge and were heading for the M11. Despite a cacophony
of horns from other drivers, they carried on.
BMWs being driven with dangerous abandon by young black males, large
Mercs driven by beturbaned gents completely ignoring all road signs
and signals. etc.
Then there are the Eastern Europeans, a lot of whom work on East
Angian farms and packing plants who have cars but no licences or
insurance who tear about the fens.

I'm not saying that the indigenous population are much better, they
are not, it's just that the _really_ stupid things I see are usually
done by the 'other lot'.
The old cry used to be 'bloody woman driver', but that seems to be
changing.

Old July 21st 04, 09:49 PM
Catman

Colonel Tupperware wrote:
<snip>

> Many people drive badly because they are not continually tested.
> Many people drive badly because their cousin took the test for them.

Many people drive badly because they are w*nkers.

> Most of the _really_ stupid things I see happening on the roads every
> day are due to car drivers of non-european extraction. For example,
> last Thursday a people carrier full of women on the way to the Mosque
> or a similar place was reversing up the A14 because they missed the
> split for Cambridge and were heading for the M11. Despite a cacophony
> of horns from other drivers, they carried on.

Seen several euro ethnics doing tha recently. Odd. Rarely used to see it.

<snip>

> I'm not saying that the indigenous population are much better, they
> are not, it's just that the _really_ stupid things I see are usually
> done by the 'other lot'.
> The old cry used to be 'bloody woman driver', but that seems to be
> changing.

I just use 'Bloody idiot driver'

Old July 21st 04, 10:12 PM
Synapse Syndrome

"Colonel Tupperware" > wrote in message
> On 21 Jul 2004 15:50:19 GMT, (Ppelectron) wrote:
>

> >>He complained bitterly to the Plod who turned up, but they said he
> >>should have been going faster and not to get in the way of trucks in
> >>the future. Good advice I thought. 1 written off Pugrat (probably a
> >>bit smelly after that evening's 'entertainment'). I found a couple of
> >>scratches on the Merc's bumper.
> >>

> >It makes me laugh that the police said he should have been going faster.

With a
> >70MPH motorway limit, hidden speed cameras and mobile units on bridges,

is it
> >any wonder that people drive badly? The days of being able to overtake

safely
> >by temporarily increasing speed to over 80 in order to pass lorries have

long
> >gone.

> The trucks are only doing a maximum of 56mph.
> Travelling at 66 mph will put you past a truck in 3.5 seconds. I am
> constantly amazed at the amount of car drivers who want to mix it with
> the trucks on motorways by driving between 50 and 60 mph. It is a very
> dangerous thing to do.
>
> As for the ones who cant even manage to keep a constant speed at 55,
> well, they almost deserve to get driven over.
>
> Many people drive badly because they are not continually tested.
> Many people drive badly because their cousin took the test for them.
>
> Most of the _really_ stupid things I see happening on the roads every
> day are due to car drivers of non-european extraction. For example,
> last Thursday a people carrier full of women on the way to the Mosque
> or a similar place was reversing up the A14 because they missed the
> split for Cambridge and were heading for the M11. Despite a cacophony
> of horns from other drivers, they carried on.
> BMWs being driven with dangerous abandon by young black males, large
> Mercs driven by beturbaned gents completely ignoring all road signs
> and signals. etc.
> Then there are the Eastern Europeans, a lot of whom work on East
> Angian farms and packing plants who have cars but no licences or
> insurance who tear about the fens.
>
> I'm not saying that the indigenous population are much better, they
> are not, it's just that the _really_ stupid things I see are usually
> done by the 'other lot'.
> The old cry used to be 'bloody woman driver', but that seems to be
> changing.
>
> --

YOu have the right to think what ever you think and express your feelings,
but I just want to know if you are a BNP voter, or maybe at least Ukip?
Seriously..

ss.

gear knob removal NC Alfa Romeo 0 June 22nd 04 07:56 AM
156 gear knob replacement fmt Alfa Romeo 3 June 1st 04 07:44 PM
147GTA and 166 on Top Gear Pete Alfa Romeo 5 May 24th 04 09:38 AM
156 Selespeed 'clunk' changing into 1st gear Mike Alfa Romeo 3 May 8th 04 02:49 PM
SELESPEED MISSING 4th GEAR ramskov Alfa Romeo 1 May 1st 04 10:26 AM