American vs German Quality

Old December 2nd 04, 10:54 PM
Ritz

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

>>>So of course you conclude everyone's lying whose experience differs from
>>>your own experience with a couple cars.

>>What is wrong with you?

> I dislike your attitude. Since the feeling is apparently mutual, I suggest
> you quit reading my posts, since they seem to bother you so.

The application of attitude has been rather once sided here. You might
want to go back and read things again. I don't know what I've done to
offend you, but your behaviour has been really out of line.

Cheers,
Old December 2nd 04, 10:54 PM
Ritz

Old December 2nd 04, 10:56 PM
Steve

Ritz wrote:

> Well, that doesn't jibe with my first hand experience. Perhaps you can
> convince your "fleet maintainer" to post some thoughts about their
> experiences....
>
> Cheers,

My firsthand experience is that all Chrysler 318 engines last over
200,000 miles and 50% last over 400,000 miles. Does that mean a fleet
should have the same experience?

The point is that Modulars, particularly early ones, needed some pretty
major component replacements a lot more often than fleet builders were
used to seeing.
Old December 2nd 04, 10:56 PM
Steve

Old December 2nd 04, 10:59 PM
Ritz

Steve wrote:

> Ritz wrote:
>
>> Well, that doesn't jibe with my first hand experience. Perhaps you
>> can convince your "fleet maintainer" to post some thoughts about their
>> experiences....
>>
>> Cheers,

> My firsthand experience is that all Chrysler 318 engines last over
> 200,000 miles and 50% last over 400,000 miles. Does that mean a fleet
> should have the same experience?
>
> The point is that Modulars, particularly early ones, needed some pretty
> major component replacements a lot more often than fleet builders were
> used to seeing.

Cool. Now we're getting somewhere. Do you have any pointers on sources
of information that would fill in some of the blanks here? By "early"
do you mean 1996/1997/1998/2004?

Cheers,

Old December 2nd 04, 10:59 PM
Ritz

Old December 3rd 04, 12:56 AM
Matt Whiting

Bill 2 wrote:
> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> n.umich.edu...

> and

> all

>>>Sorry that just doesn't quite line up with reality. The engines might
>>>start to smoke after 350 000km, but other than the car is very reliable.

>>Your reality is not the reality of the fleet managers -- several of them,
>>over the years -- I've spoken with. What's your sample size, there, Bill?
>>One? Two?

> Personally 3.
>
> One guy is on his 5th CV, his last one had 400 000km and he only got rid of
> it because it was written off in a crash. It burned a little oil but other
> than that it was fine.

CV? Chrysler Vehicle?? Something else???

Matt

Old December 3rd 04, 12:56 AM
Matt Whiting

Old December 3rd 04, 12:59 AM
Matt Whiting

Daniel J. Stern wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Dec 2004, Bill 2 wrote:
>

>>I don't know what fleet managers you were talking too, but everyone else
>>has had good luck with CVs.

> Everyone else? Are ya *sure* about that? Or are you only sure about the
> three you know about? I really have no particularly compelling interest in
> convincing you that many versions of the Ford Modular V8 are garbage. I'm
> sure your reality is very real to you, and that's fine. I will say this
> about the "everyone else" you believe has had "good luck" with Clown
> Victorias:
>
> Luck has nothing to do with it. Engineering quality is what determines
> reliability.

Not completely. Assembly quality has an effect on reliability as well.
It is still not possible to engineer a design such that it is
completely idiot-proof with respect to assembly.

Matt

Old December 3rd 04, 12:59 AM
Matt Whiting

American cars Dave Antique cars 6 February 13th 05 04:27 PM
Driving lessons in American schools John Rowland Driving 62 December 23rd 04 12:33 AM
German F-1 Calendar Anna Lisa BMW 0 November 25th 04 07:05 AM
Where to find list of 1930's American Automobile Manufacturers [email protected] Antique cars 4 November 1st 03 06:44 AM