Iracing survey response

Old December 18th 08, 09:42 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
mcewena

Default Iracing survey response

I’d appreciate if somebody who’s a current iracing member would re-
post this in their forum:

Hi, I just got the survey asking why I didn’t renew my membership when
the free period ended, and I do appreciate being asked so I filled it
in right away. However I didn’t feel “other” and “none of the above”
really did justice to questions 1 & 5 so here’s my expanded answer.

1. What is the number one reason you didn't renew your membership?

There was really no one single reason.

Cost was a factor, but I wouldn’t want to imply that I’m a cheapskate
(in this regard anyway). Maybe “value for money” would be closer.
On a lap over lap basis at tracks I enjoy like LRP or Leguna, Iracing
is hands down the best simulator of motor vehicle dynamics I’ve
tried.

However the alternatives (rfactor/gtr2) while not as technically
accurate, still give very good cause & effect feedback for driving and
setup changes while giving superior “online play” (better idea of
where your opponents are, better able to bring the 3D world to a 2D
screen, ability to customize your interface etc), for less money and
with intimately more flexibility in style/format/venue/scheduling.

5. Which feature, if added to iRacing, would make you want to try
iRacing again?

“Curiosity” is the closest answer I can come up with and that wasn’t
really on the list. I’m sure there’ve been incremental improvements
and new tracks/cars/players since I left but it’s hard to know from
the outside. Probably the cold winter months will make me curious
enough to spend $20 find out for myself.

Otherwise I honestly don’t know. I’ve got 2-4 hours available to me a
week for sim racing (maybe more in the winter), if I had 10-15 hours
then I’d probably want more structure to part of the mix, but as it is
I’d have to give up time in other areas in order to spend time in
iracing. I have no philosophical objection to the subscription model
and I’d by be no means the last hold out in my race group (league,
buddies, community, whatever the right word is) to abandon what I
drive today and re-subscribe to iracing but at this point I don’t see
any compelling reason to break ranks either. I had some really good
races within iracing, I had some boring solo runs ahead/behind the
packs and I got thumped into the wall unnecessarily. The experience
was as good as (but not better then) I’ve had with any other sim.

I don’t want to give the impression that I’d come running if private
servers were set up, but the ability to run with my buddies (who
aren’t all my speed) does have an appeal. I know for the most part if
I have contact that puts one of out it’s an accident and we don’t get
bent out of shape about how it will affect us 2 weeks from now, at the
same time I know I’m not running in a demo-derby.

With Iracing I never knew who I was racing against from one day to the
next, which gave everybody a certain anonymousness that was not unlike
racing against a really good AI car. I respected them enough to not
want to take them out, but didn’t really feel any sense of
accomplishment by beating them either.
Old January 6th 09, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tim Wheatley

On Dec 18 2008, 4:42*pm, mcewena > wrote:
> [...]
> races within iracing, I had some boring solo runs ahead/behind the
> packs and I got thumped into the wall unnecessarily. *The experience
> was as good as (but not better then) I’ve had with any other sim.
>
> I don’t want to give the impression that I’d come running if private
> servers were set up, but the ability to run with my buddies (who
> aren’t all my speed) does have an appeal. *I know for the most part if
> I have contact that puts one of out it’s an accident and we don’t get
> bent out of shape about how it will affect us 2 weeks from now, at the
> same time I know I’m not running in a demo-derby.
>
> With Iracing I never knew who I was racing against from one day to the
> next, which gave everybody a certain anonymousness that was not unlike
> racing against a really good AI car. * *I respected them enough to not
> want to take them out, but didn’t really feel any sense of

I've forwarded it onto the iRacing staff member who requested the
feedback.