no oil in cylinder head

Old March 22nd 05, 06:02 PM
torgeir jensen

Default no oil in cylinder head

1993 Chrysler Voyager 3.3 liter V6.
Rocker arm and shaft completely worn out/damaged in the rear cylinder head.
When trying to replace i found out no oil pumping to the cylinder head.
Oilpressure is normal and front cylinder head shows no wear at all. Mileage
is high (320000km).
Any ideas? One idea is that camrod bearing has turned in its seat and the
engine needs to be replaced. I have noticed a burned smell last 6 monts when
parked and smell seems to come from the right side of the car.

Old March 22nd 05, 08:20 PM
maxpower

"torgeir jensen" > wrote in message
> 1993 Chrysler Voyager 3.3 liter V6.
> Rocker arm and shaft completely worn out/damaged in the rear cylinder

head.
> When trying to replace i found out no oil pumping to the cylinder head.
> Oilpressure is normal and front cylinder head shows no wear at all.

Mileage
> is high (320000km).
> Any ideas? One idea is that camrod bearing has turned in its seat and the
> engine needs to be replaced. I have noticed a burned smell last 6 monts

when
> parked and smell seems to come from the right side of the car.

More then likely that is the cause of your problem, the Bearing has
turned, or the passage has stopped up, I have seen it both ways.,. That
doesnt mean that the engine needs to be replaced

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old March 22nd 05, 10:03 PM
torgeir jensen

Thanks for quick reply. If the bearing has turned, what to do? Understand
that i have to take engine out of the car to remove camrod. Haynes manual
states that replacing cam bearing is out of the scope of the home mechanic.
If the bearing rotates in its seat would that not ruin it and make it
impossible to put a new bearing in the same place?

Torgeir

Old March 22nd 05, 10:52 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, torgeir jensen wrote:

> Thanks for quick reply. If the bearing has turned, what to do?

Replace the turned cam bearing.

> Understand
> that i have to take engine out of the car to remove camrod. Haynes manual
> states that replacing cam bearing is out of the scope of the home mechanic.

Throw your Haynes manual as far away as you can. Or set it on fire. Get
the FACTORY service manual.

> If the bearing rotates in its seat would that not ruin it and make it
> impossible to put a new bearing in the same place?

Not necessarily, no.

DS
Old March 22nd 05, 11:52 PM
Joe Pfeiffer

"torgeir jensen" > writes:

> Thanks for quick reply. If the bearing has turned, what to do? Understand
> that i have to take engine out of the car to remove camrod. Haynes manual
> states that replacing cam bearing is out of the scope of the home mechanic.
> If the bearing rotates in its seat would that not ruin it and make it
> impossible to put a new bearing in the same place?

Get the real factory service manual and see what's involved.
Old March 23rd 05, 11:26 AM
damnnickname

It has been a long time since I replaced a camshaft/bearing on that year
vehicle, Im pretty sure the engine has to be pulled because the engine
will not lower or raise high enough for clearance to pull the shaft out.

Glenn Beasley
Chrysler tech

Old March 23rd 05, 10:37 PM
torgeir jensen

Lets see if i got this rigt. If the bearing has turned is that in relation
to the crankcase or in relation to the camrod? Is the problem that a hole in
the camrod and a hole in the bearng must be aligned or is it between the
crankcase and the bearing?

"damnnickname" > skrev i melding
lkaboutautos.com...

Old March 24th 05, 12:16 AM
maxpower

"torgeir jensen" > wrote in message
> Lets see if i got this rigt. If the bearing has turned is that in relation
> to the crankcase or in relation to the camrod? Is the problem that a hole

in
> the camrod and a hole in the bearng must be aligned or is it between the
> crankcase and the bearing?
>

> "damnnickname" > skrev i melding
> lkaboutautos.com...
> > It has been a long time since I replaced a camshaft/bearing on that year
> > vehicle, Im pretty sure the engine has to be pulled because the engine
> > will not lower or raise high enough for clearance to pull the shaft out.
> >
> > Glenn Beasley
> > Chrysler tech

No such thing as a cam rod, what could have happened is, the bearing that is
inside the block (used for the camshaft) has spun, when this happens there
is no oil feed to that potion going up to the cylinder head

Old March 24th 05, 12:53 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 23 Mar 2005, torgeir jensen wrote:

> Lets see if i got this rigt. If the bearing has turned is that in relation
> to the crankcase or in relation to the camrod?

In relation to the engine casting.

> Is the problem that a hole in the camrod and a hole in the bearng must
> be aligned or is it between the crankcase and the bearing?

A hole in the bearing and a hole in the engine casting (what you are
calling the crankcase).
Old March 24th 05, 06:11 PM
Steve

The camshaft (I assume thats what you mean by "camrod") spins in the
bearing all the time. If the bearing has "turned," it is by definition
turned in relation to the engine block.